Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 04:25 PM

3,457 posts, read 3,622,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Ahh, Cletus is confused again.. Here is a very real scenario I'm going through right now..

I'm loaning a company $3M to allow them to get through the economic crisis.. I'm taking their real estate and equipment as collateral and by doing this, tis will allow 110 employees to continue to have a job..

How is this investment NOT productive if the result is saving the productivity of these individuals and $10M a year in sales?

Am I an Entrepreneur, or a "renter"?
the word is "rentier", not renter.

you may be propping up something that is macroeconomically productive, or something that is a waste to society, it really depends on how the company generates revenue.

but to be clear i'm not an arbiter of what constitutes productive investment and malinvestment. i couldn't tell you which camp your current venture falls into.

Quote:
Yes Cletus, greed is good.. in fact greed is fantastic.. I'll be greedy and make a profit off of this companies economic hardship without guilt
i have no problem with that. i recognize there will be greedy individuals out there in a capitalist society and that this can be a good thing or a bad thing.

Quote:
because if its not for my greed.. They wouldnt have jobs..
I question this, though. This is just hubris.
Quote:
Your utopia ideas doesnt work in the real world.
My ideas haven't been tried. My ideas aren't really on the radar for the bulk of politicians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Ownership of land these days is a dubious reward. In America, at least. In general I dont see it getting better for a decade. There is no incentive.
That's not really what i'm getting at ...

we should be able to have a functional economy with a declining real estate market. A slowdown in private credit should not render us helpless. something is fundamentally wrong with our economy , which is driven by speculative private debt bubbles generated by the Federal Reserve and encouraged by the tax code. We reward stupidity and nonsense.

housing is just the symptom of the disease. the disease is Fed money going toward unproductive crap (consumer items, commodities gambling) via the banking system, and a desperate need for ever-increasing debt growth.

Old 12-08-2011, 04:32 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,090,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
the word is "rentier", not renter.

you may be propping up something that is macroeconomically productive, or something that is a waste to society, it really depends on how the company generates revenue.
If people are paying them for a service, then those individuals decide if its a waste or not.. NOT YOU.. How they generates revenues is immaterial to the discussion, because people employed IS NOT A WASTE..
Quote:
but to be clear i'm not an arbiter of what constitutes productive investment and malinvestment.
Thats correct.. I AM.. its MY MONEY... You can determine whats productive with YOURS..
Quote:
i have no problem with that. i recognize there will be greedy individuals out there in a capitalist society and that this can be a good thing or a bad thing.
Greed is NEVER bad in a capitalistic socity, THEFT is, and theft is a crime.
Quote:
My ideas haven't been tried. My ideas aren't really on the radar for the bulk of politicians.
Thank god for that..

Old 12-08-2011, 04:37 PM

Quote:
its MY MONEY...
and that's why you argue with me.

you've benefitted from the broken system.

this is fine, i don't begrudge you for exploiting opportunities, but it doesn't make a compelling argument for future policy.

Old 12-08-2011, 04:37 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,454,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Ownership of land these days is a dubious reward. In America, at least. In general I dont see it getting better for a decade. There is no incentive.
There are people moving in droves to renting and they aren't interested anymore in owning and upkeep. There's nothing wrong with taking land and providing what people want or the profit motive that is involved with that.

It should ebb and flow. It should reach a saturation point where everyone that wants to rent is. It should also reach a point where the market has too many homes on the markets and their prices drop. At that point people start weighing if they want to rent or own, again.

The real money comes from owning both rentals, land, spec homes, older homes and hotels/motels. Then you just adjust accordingly to what's cheap in the market by investing there. You adjust accordingly to what's in most demand by assessing if selling is worthwhile. Most of all you don't be a floozy with your money and you learn that patience is what counts.

Old 12-08-2011, 04:39 PM

Quote:

we should be able to have a functional economy with a declining real estate market. A slowdown in private credit should not render us helpless. something is fundamentally wrong with our economy , which is driven by speculative private debt bubbles generated by the Federal Reserve and encouraged by the tax code. We reward stupidity and nonsense.
You cant have a functioning economy with a declining real estate because real estate prices are a result of the economy, not the cause of it.. And individuals like us saving hundreds of jobs isnt stupiity nor is it nonsense.. The real estate is a mechanism to allow productivity, which then creates a strong economy which boosts real estate.
Quote:
housing is just the symptom of the disease. the disease is Fed money going toward unproductive crap (consumer items, commodities gambling) via the banking system, and a desperate need for ever-increasing debt growth.
No, the increasing demand for unproductive crap is due to the ever increasing debt. Without debts, there wouldnt be a demand to pay it off, and without jobs, that debt increases substantially. Its cheaper to build what you call unproductive crap than it is to pay people not to build it..

Not building generates deficits, building creates surpluses and reduces demands that cant be met. You couldnt have it more backwards if you were posting this nonsense on purpose.

Last edited by pghquest; 12-08-2011 at 04:47 PM..

Old 12-08-2011, 04:39 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,588,779 times
Quote:

Oh I agree, not sure if the Fed should be abolished but clearly there needs to be a a system of policing it with legislation...problem is the law takes longer to write and is always "de-facto" after the Geithners and Paulsons and Congress have gotten away with murder...

do you think Elizabeth Warren has some good ideas? i have read about her issues with the financial markets, and reigning them in...

Problem with tax code is tax attys make a mint writing and legislating new loopholes every year.

Old 12-08-2011, 04:42 PM

Quote:
and that's why you argue with me.

you've benefitted from the broken system.

this is fine, i don't begrudge you for exploiting opportunities, but it doesn't make a compelling argument for future policy.
its not broken its capitalism. EVERYONE benefits.. I challenge you to name ONE person who wont..

This is where your argument falls flat on its face.. you dont like people like me who "exploits" opportuntities to create wealth, but you fail to acknowledge that I cant create wealth without generating wealth for others as well. In this example, I'll be creating wealth for 110 families by keeping them employed, and that must drive you crazy..

Old 12-08-2011, 04:47 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,588,779 times
Policy is about LAW. Laws are created by legislators, who know their way around loopholes.

Capitalism is a moot point.

Old 12-08-2011, 04:50 PM

Quote:
You cant have a functioning economy with a declining real estate because real estate prices are a result of the economy, not the cause of it..
That (the bolded part) is how things should be. That's not how things really are, not in the current screwed up system we have.

In reality , housing drives the economy. People take out mortgages, that money is created out of thin air, inflates the price of housing, which adds inflation into the general economy.

Quote:
And individuals like us saving hundreds of jobs isnt stupiity nor is it nonsense.. The real estate is a mechanism to allow productivity, which then creates a strong economy which boosts real estate.
houses people can afford might be considered a productive endeavor. we're way past that, though, into the territory of volume overhang and malinvestment, and propping up the book value of crap mortgage assets that have long died.

Quote:
No, the increasing demand for unproductive crap is due to the ever increasing debt. Without debts, there wouldnt be a demand to pay it off, an without jobs, that debt increases substantially.
i agree with this.

Quote:
Its cheaper to build what you call unproductive crap than it is to pay people not to build it..Not building gerates deficits, building creates surpluses and reduces demands that cant be met.
or we could just have policy that doesn't encourage something unproductive.

this might, in the long term, free up resources for things that are actually productive.

Last edited by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus; 12-08-2011 at 05:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies