Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will America be better or worse when whites become a minority?
Better 33 19.64%
Worse 135 80.36%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 09:41 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,769,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by analyze_this View Post
Free slave labor and stolen wealth allowed Western Nations to reach a level of prosperity where they could stop focusing merely on survival (food/shelter) to technological and cultural advancement etc.
I disagree with this. The slave system was inferior to the northern industrial system, which did not depend upon slaves. A red herring,IMO. "White" culture is probaby pretty vacuous, and does probably have roots in slavery as Majoun says.

I think American supremacy has to do with innovation, initiative, and industry. This came out of the Northeast from Puritan intellectualism married with English industrialism, and a dose of maritime mercantilism. The South was never remotely competitive to that system. It was just a carryover from the feudal systems, that served a few and enslaved the rest (black or white), but never created broad-based wealth and achievement.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:01 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,612,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I am pretty undecided on this one. I voted worse, but it really depends upon what you mean. Certainly American culture will keep advancing, and hopefully we will keep moving towards a more must and inclusive culture. So, by that measure and probably many others, it will keep advancing.

However, I do worry that some of the cultural elements of white northern European groups (order, industry, a disdain for bribery, a tendency to not litter,etc.) which made this country stand out on a global stage will diminish. It may be a sign of my ignorance, that I cannot identify the other cultural elements (Asian industry, Hispanic ingenuity, etc.) that might substantially improve on the current system. I am having a hard time thinking of any culture in the history of the world that could compare in creativity, broad-based industry, art, music, and wealth, to the European-dominated cultures of America, and N. Europe of the last half century. Several east Asian countries compare very well economically. That is not to say we could not do better, but the system was/is pretty darn good.

Call me a racist perhaps, but for discussion, I would shift the burden of proof to those who propose that in a white minority society that there are additional cultural elements that could either: 1) develop from our multicultural society over time, 2) come from some other cultural tradition that matches and betters the genius of the current system, or 3) that none of this matters, humans are all blanks slates and their cultural traditions, values, abilities, and work habits do not affect the success of that country in competing on a global stage and in providing opportunity and care for its citizens.

And don't take my post to mean whites are better, but simply that the N. European cultural tradition created the best system for broad-based prosperity in the history of the world, and a critical mass of people with those values is probably important for its maintenance.

EDIT: I think my thoughts above might be taken along racial lines, but upon reflection, it is not necessarily racial. For instance, Russia is whiter than America, but it lacks many of the elements that make America great. So, it is a cultural pattern that originates in NW Europe that I was thinking created American greatness (at least in a sociopolitical sense). And one can look to NW Europe and see comparables (Denmark, Germany France, UK, Sweden, Holland,etc.), and of course, Canada. So, I think it is less about individual people than the system.
I don't take your post to mean whites are better. Cultural differences don't involve color. America is different as you've pointed out and change is considered growth. We are too young a country to expect anything but change and with the nickname "melting pot" the change will inevitably involve such. The fear is the only concern I have really. The "what if's" lead this country like a carrot in front of a ignorant young pony.

Will it effect me negatively? I doubt it will anymore or less than our current population of voters does. My hope is that it will do the opposite. Right now we don't use our government as a middleman for peoples needs and wants, we are afraid of it and when you fear change and government it just makes you a victim. I'm getting tired of the victim mentality. I would hope that a change in ideals from other cultures would at least change our view in how we use our best resources which is our government. I'm getting tired of being a nation of fear against things we could be utilizing to make a more well rounded country.
To me, change in any direction is better than the standstill we've been into as of late. Whatever helps us progress into the future is fine with me. I'm pretty global minded though.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:02 AM

932 posts, read 1,178,719 times
It's irrelevant. White is just a skin color, which doesn't define an individual or a group.

This poll needs an 'N/A' option.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:05 AM

649 posts, read 1,133,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasvegas View Post
It's irrelevant. White is just a skin color, which doesn't define an individual or a group.

This poll needs an 'N/A' option.
I was wondering if this is Stormfront or City Data lol. I personally would welcome more Bollywood looking chicks from India, and hot blooded Latinas from South America!

Old 12-09-2011, 10:11 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,619,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Very good point. Being a hibernophile, I read the book, "How the Irish Became White" with great excitement. I thought it would be a tale of initiative and ultimate redemption for a poor, ill-fated group of immigrants. As it turns out, the book points our that the Irish workers, who were in direct competition with black freedmen in the mid-late 19th century, often became rampant racists, because being "white" was the only thing they had, and that branding helped their hunt for opportunities.
And out west, they were in direct competition with Chinese - and the result was Denis Kearny's anti-Chinese race riots in San Francisco in the 1870s.

Quote:
I think you could say the same about Scots-Irish KKK types. They had nothing, except being "white." And although they did nothing to set up the slavery system, the celtic culture, inherantly tribal and conflict-oriented, is fertile soil for us vs. them thinking. Rush Limbaugh still exploits that, except "liberals" are the boogymen now.
And Limbaugh is descended mostly from the Ulster Scots of the south (with some Maryland German ancestry as well). This is probably not a coincidence.

Quote:
So, I think I agree that "white" is perhaps a unique identity created by the racial tensions in our country.
Correct, as shown by the history of relations in Canada between Anglo whites and French whites from pretty early on, and other examples from other countries started by European immigrants.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:25 AM

1,211 posts, read 1,535,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidArizona View Post
I was wondering if this is Stormfront or City Data lol. I personally would welcome more Bollywood looking chicks from India, and hot blooded Latinas from South America!
Of course lol...better than boring white pasty girls with fake blond hair!

Old 12-09-2011, 10:32 AM

649 posts, read 1,133,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyze_this View Post
Of course lol...better than boring white pasty girls with fake blond hair!
Actually, I like blondes too. Totally non-discriminatroy!

Old 12-09-2011, 10:36 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,141,522 times
Worse, by far. Show me a minority-majority city that is well-run, minimal corruption by elected leaders, full of entrepreneurs and educated citizens, and has low crime rates.

There's not one. Face it, for better or worse, white America is what propelled this country to what it is today. When the tables reverse, it will be a far different country. Mark my words.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:38 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,945,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
If another race becomes the majority, the sky will fall!

OHHH! AHHH!!! SO SCARED.
You should be, it is all about IQ and the lowering of IQ is what is killing us. - and don't accuse me of racism, these are proven facts. But I know you will, you can't help yourself.

Average IQ - races

And it is genetic

That's just plain facts but of course strident cries of racism are about to erupt but I will deal with it.

Groups within the US score different average IQ's, such as 115 for college grads or 85 for African-Americans. Similarly, average IQ varies from country to country, shown in the 2002 book IQ and the Wealth of Nations (sets Britain at 100):

From The Economist White America’s collapsing birth rate is changing the face of the country

Quote:
But Democrats counter that the growth the Republicans are celebrating comes from natural Democratic constituencies. Minorities, they point out, tend to vote Democratic, whereas the dwindling white, rural population is largely Republican. By this logic, Democratic infiltrators are gradually undermining Republicans’ control over their territory from within. Barack Obama, after all, carried previously Republican-leaning western and southern states such as Colorado, Nevada, North Carolina and Virginia on his way to the White House in 2008. If he can maintain his share of the vote among blacks and Latinos, he will be hard to beat in 2012.

Today America has an average IQ of around 100, imagine the state of the nation in 50 years when it's 85-90 and they all vote. It won't be good.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:50 AM

711 posts, read 1,512,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
You should be, it is all about IQ and the lowering of IQ is what is killing us. - and don't accuse me of racism, these are proven facts. But I know you will, you can't help yourself.

Average IQ - races

And it is genetic

That's just plain facts but of course strident cries of racism are about to erupt but I will deal with it.

Groups within the US score different average IQ's, such as 115 for college grads or 85 for African-Americans. Similarly, average IQ varies from country to country, shown in the 2002 book IQ and the Wealth of Nations (sets Britain at 100):

From The Economist White America’s collapsing birth rate is changing the face of the country

Today America has an average IQ of around 100, imagine the state of the nation in 50 years when it's 85-90 and they all vote. It won't be good.

Its tough to argue facts I see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies