Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 05:14 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,347,968 times

Advertisements

Bad move on Lowe's part, not b/c they pulled the ads, but in the manner they did so. Yes, advertisers pull ads from select controversial shows all the time (see the boondoggle that was the American version of Skins), but they have to do it with a certain amount of tact. Lowe's could have pulled its ads for undisclosed reasons, or even cite the reason of not wanting to sponsor such a religious show. There are sponsors who may not want to touch Sister Wives or even 19 and Counting due to the eligious views on those shows.

But Lowe's missed this up BIG TIME. They badly messed up by admitted that their hand was moved by a conservative organization that many could construed as being bigoted. If I was in PR, I would have slapped the fool who stated that the show was, "propaganda that riskily hides the Islamic agenda's clear and present danger to American liberties and traditional values." Seriously, it smacks of Islamaphobia in a time when that is still a big concern. If they were said something like this in regards to shows on LOGO, like Rupaul's Drag Race or Noah's Ark-"it promotes propaganda that riskily hides the gay agenda's clear and present danger to American traditional values- people would be angry. There's no way to spin that statement to not make it offensive to those who don't think that all Muslims and Islam in general are a threat to American "liberties and traditional values".

Lowe's deserve the bad PR they're getting for their bad PR move. Not saying they don't have the right to pull ads from any shows they desire, nor am I saying that they should be forced to reinstate ads to the show, but they did mess up badly. I won't bother boycotting them b/c I never shopped there to begin with, but I typically don't boycott businesses that mess up PR wise, especially when it comes to ads being pulled from shows, which is common with television
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 05:45 AM

9,855 posts, read 10,415,085 times
This is going to be a non-issue for Lowes.

Old 12-13-2011, 05:48 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,376,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Are you going to boycott every other company that won't sponsor this show or just Lowes, the company that already did?
It isn't about the show. It is about caving to a RW conservative hate group. If Lowe's takes orders from a bunch of bigots hiding behind Jesus' robes, they aren't worth supporting in any way shape or form.

And they sell crap anyway.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:18 AM

24,411 posts, read 23,070,474 times
I think Lowes made the wrong call. Companies should be a little less quick to cave in to pressure groups. That goes on both sides, liberal groups do the same thing.
I'll actually watch this show and hope that it presents a fair and impartial view of their lives and views. There's so many bad reality shows on now( cakes, childrens pageants, little people, celebrities) that something a little controversial is welcome.
I'll still shop at Lowes, its way better than Home Depot.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:23 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,455,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
It isn't about the show. It is about caving to a RW conservative hate group. If Lowe's takes orders from a bunch of bigots hiding behind Jesus' robes, they aren't worth supporting in any way shape or form.

And they sell crap anyway.
OK, but it's ok for the Left to go after Beck's advertisers though right? Perfectly acceptable to the people whining about this.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:32 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,845,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
OK, but it's ok for the Left to go after Beck's advertisers though right? Perfectly acceptable to the people whining about this.
Yes.

It's perfectly acceptable to speak out your disapproval of advertisers giving money to Glenn Beck, and it's perfectly acceptable to speak out your disapproval of advertisers caving to right-wing hate groups. One does not preclude the other in any way, shape, or form.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:57 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,940,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkytofu10 View Post
Apples and oranges. Beck actually says racist and inflamatory stuff...on All-American Muslim they do not.
Inflammatory maybe, racist are you serious!! Show us where he has been racist?????

What I find interesting, is Martin Luther King's niece Alveda King is on Beck's show quite often, do you think she would hang with a racist???

Seems the left has nothing to do with Alveda, when they praise her uncle, so well!!

Old 12-13-2011, 09:45 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,447,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Inflammatory maybe, racist are you serious!! Show us where he has been racist?????

What I find interesting, is Martin Luther King's niece Alveda King is on Beck's show quite often, do you think she would hang with a racist???

Seems the left has nothing to do with Alveda, when they praise her uncle, so well!!
Great valid and accurate point. No i do not think that Alveda King, would hang out with anyone know as a racist.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:49 AM

161 posts, read 246,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceece View Post
indeed you can. I just feel it's my duty to point out the bad logic and hyprocricy behind your decision is all.
Yep - tell that to yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies