Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2007, 10:50 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times

Advertisements

Dustin Chester is job hunting this week, after The Home Depot fired him and the general manager for thwarting a thief from running away with a pocket full of stolen cash.

Last week, the 24-year-old department manager confronted a man who was standing by a soda machine in front of the Murfreesboro store off Old Fort Parkway holding a crowbar and a wad of cash. When the suspect started running, Chester said his instincts took over.

He was fired Monday for violations of company policy in the incident.

"When he ran, I ran after him," he said. Chester caught the thief and restrained him in the parking lot until police arrived.

Home Depot employee looking for job after stopping alleged thief - Nashville, Tennessee - Wednesday, 08/29/07 - Tennessean.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2007, 12:23 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,311,239 times
I can understand the policy, but firing is not right.

Old 08-29-2007, 02:09 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,631,332 times
The wussification of America has been completed a long time ago. Don't do anything to crooks because they might hurt you and then you would be allowed to sue the company because you were hurt on the job. Just call loss prevention and they will waste a piece of paper to file a report while the crook goes on doing the same thing until someone finally does have then nerve to bust him.

And people wonder why crime is a problem....

Old 08-29-2007, 03:34 PM

1,290 posts, read 2,569,789 times
Friggin pansies. Home Depot employees like Dustin Chester should be armed, with orders to shoot to kill.

Old 08-29-2007, 03:49 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
Good for you, Dustin, wherever you are. You did the right thing and you're still a "man". Not your fault that your society has gone completely loco.
Some years ago, my bank account was "tapped" to the tune of about $1200. I am certain I know who did it. I reported the loss to my bank.
They seemed strangely unconcerned. I got "madder", and told them "I KNOW who did it", but they were unmoved. Finally the police were called- they didn't seem interested either, though we all know banks do film each ATM withdrawal. It just wasn't worth their time to look into the matter, since the person was "known" to me, rather than a random thief "off the street"...In the end, they simply credited my account and took the loss. (of course, ALL of us customers will "eat" the cost)-
Bottom line is, the "bad guy" simply got away, because the "good guys" were just too busy to get into a "hassle". I got my money back, but not from the thief. And he "walked"--(until about a month later, when he was jailed on another charge)---fantastic !!

Old 08-29-2007, 04:00 PM

435 posts, read 1,521,046 times
The policy has zero to do with employees getting hurt (otherwise, why do they go up on tall ladders?). It has everything to do with "lawsuits" involving slighted customers (Especally if said customer is of "color"). Becuase after all, we don't want to alienate or hurt anyone's feelings.....

Old 08-29-2007, 06:34 PM

1,463 posts, read 6,222,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briarwood View Post
The policy has zero to do with employees getting hurt (otherwise, why do they go up on tall ladders?). It has everything to do with "lawsuits" involving slighted customers (Especally if said customer is of "color"). Becuase after all, we don't want to alienate or hurt anyone's feelings.....

Thats pretty pathetic on your part to throw the racial slant. The policy in place to save his life and the customers/coworkers. Home Depot has insurance to pay for the loss and its stupid for him to do otherwise. I respect him for trying to be a hero but keep it to saving kittens out of trees or house fires and catching babies out windows. Let thiefs take the companies money because I guarantee that company figuring out a way to take yours...........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies