Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 05:33 AM

1,610 posts, read 1,782,603 times

Advertisements

People are realizing they don't need the latest and greatest little things. These 2000 tvs and iphones are a must have buy and in a bad economy people are cutting back big time. I think it's good though, now companies can stop making a gazillion products every month promising new tech when it does what the last generation did and nothing new.

Check out those tech blogs like engadget and see those guys spend 700 bucks on a new phone when they bought their old phone in March lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 05:56 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,285,820 times
Green shoots!

IMO, good for the consumer and the economy. Consumers won't be paying 30% interest on their rampant impulse buys, wealth that would be transferred to a bailout bank.

Old 12-15-2011, 05:58 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stick2dascript View Post
People are realizing they don't need the latest and greatest little things. These 2000 tvs and iphones are a must have buy and in a bad economy people are cutting back big time. I think it's good though, now companies can stop making a gazillion products every month promising new tech when it does what the last generation did and nothing new.

Check out those tech blogs like engadget and see those guys spend 700 bucks on a new phone when they bought their old phone in March lol.
The problem though is that they realize it AFTER they bought it.
There are a few articles out on the net about this. Most realized they blew their budgets after they got home and surveyed the damage.

I guess better late than never though. At least it's a start; people realizing they cannot live off of "credit".

Old 12-15-2011, 06:15 AM

24,415 posts, read 23,070,474 times
I was scoping out the holiday sections of the big box retailers near us and they're largely cleared out of things like lights and decorations. They were lighter on the selection this year but its still probably a pretty good sign. But the crowds aren't there. Either people have bought early or are waiting for big discounts at the very end of the shopping season.
And the merchandise isn't there. Computers are scarce and deals are far and few between. The same goes for things like cameras, gadgets and TVs.
If you need clothes, thats a different story. There you have the selection and there are some sales going on.
Overall I don't think this was a great year for sales either.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:24 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,206,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I was scoping out the holiday sections of the big box retailers near us and they're largely cleared out of things like lights and decorations. They were lighter on the selection this year but its still probably a pretty good sign. But the crowds aren't there. Either people have bought early or are waiting for big discounts at the very end of the shopping season.
And the merchandise isn't there. Computers are scarce and deals are far and few between. The same goes for things like cameras, gadgets and TVs.
If you need clothes, thats a different story. There you have the selection and there are some sales going on.
Overall I don't think this was a great year for sales either.

It wasn't as good as last year on electronics--that's for sure. This confirms my suspicion that lots of people were shopping black friday for necessities as much as anything, and it looks like it might be that if they did buy things that they really didn't need, they're taking it back now. It's bad that the economy is in the state that it's in, but it's good that people are learning to delay gratification and actually save and wait for something. Like I said, we did buy a new TV for our bedroom, but the old one was nearly 20 years old, and replacing it later when/if it breaks down would turn out to be more expensive than getting a better deal now. I'll be doing some appliance shopping shortly for the same reason. We're not under any kind of financial stress--I'm sure that attitude is even greater for families who are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies