Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 03:15 PM

1,604 posts, read 1,567,527 times

Advertisements

I am often astounded at the things that Republicans and Conservatives do and then claim to be Christian. They seem to think Christianity is all about flashy displays of faith, saying things like "God bless America", and reveling in worldly craze like the Tebowing spectacle. They believe in empowering the rich and powerful at the expense of the poor and the meek. They worship capitalism and place more value on money than on human life. They promote war over peace and hate over love.

Anyone who reads the bible and is knowledgeable of the scriptures would know that those are all clearly un-Christian behavior. In the scriptures, a follower of Christ (a Christian) is encouraged to forbid all things worldly (materialism, capitalism, the pursuit of money) and live by the teachings of Christ.

For example, a rich young man (who would likely be a Republican capitalist in today's world) once asked Jesus what he must do to be perfect in the eyes of God:

Quote:
Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me. But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions.
Matthew 19:21-22

In another well known scripture Jesus famously said:

Quote:
And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.
Matthew 19:24

Certainly if Jesus was on earth today, Conservatives and Republicans would blast him as a Communist and seek to do away with him much like the Scribes and Pharisees of Biblical Israel.

The main themes of Jesus's teaching were: humility, faith in God, love, and empathy for those who are less fortunate in society. Jesus made it clear that Christianity is not about what you proclaim to be in public, but it's about how you live and how you treat others around you. Jesus was against prideful displays of faith in public.

He spoke at length about in in the following scripture:

Quote:
Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven.

Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth:

That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly.

And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.
Matthew 6:1-6

Therefore the act of "Tebowing" is clearly un-Christian. Those who do it are directly violating the teachings of Christ.

It doesn't stop there, there are countless Conservative beliefs and practices that are directly contradictory to the scriptures. I've yet to find any Republican or Conservative in America who fits the true definition of a Christian.

At the other extreme end are liberals like Bill Maher and the other anti-religious people on the left who are totally ignorant of Christianity. They think Christianity is a bad thing because of the behavior they see from the sinful hypocrites on the right who call themselves Christian. It's no different than painting the terrorists and all Muslims with the same brush.

It takes a lot to be a true Christian in an evil world like this. Many are called but few are chosen. Finding a true Christian today is like separating the wheat from the chaff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2011, 03:21 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,273,750 times
Yes, I'm sure you're well and truly concerned about the integrity of the gospel.

Old 12-18-2011, 03:23 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,861,650 times
Dude. You've given this way too much thought.

Tebow is a winner. That's all I need to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
I am often astounded at the things that Republicans and Conservatives do and then claim to be Christian. They seem to think Christianity is all about flashy displays of faith, saying things like "God bless America", and reveling in worldly craze like the Tebowing spectacle. They believe in empowering the rich and powerful at the expense of the poor and the meek. They worship capitalism and place more value on money than on human life. They promote war over peace and hate over love.

Anyone who reads the bible and is knowledgeable of the scriptures would know that those are all clearly un-Christian behavior. In the scriptures, a follower of Christ (a Christian) is encouraged to forbid all things worldly (materialism, capitalism, the pursuit of money) and live by the teachings of Christ.

For example, a rich young man (who would likely be a Republican capitalist in today's world) once asked Jesus what he must do to be perfect in the eyes of God:

Matthew 19:21-22

In another well known scripture Jesus famously said:

Matthew 19:24

Certainly if Jesus was on earth today, Conservatives and Republicans would blast him as a Communist and seek to do away with him much like the Scribes and Pharisees of Biblical Israel.

The main themes of Jesus's teaching were: humility, faith in God, love, and empathy for those who are less fortunate in society. Jesus made it clear that Christianity is not about what you proclaim to be in public, but it's about how you live and how you treat others around you. Jesus was against prideful displays of faith in public.

He spoke at length about in in the following scripture:

Matthew 6:1-6

Therefore the act of "Tebowing" is clearly un-Christian. Those who do it are directly violating the teachings of Christ.

It doesn't stop there, there are countless Conservative beliefs and practices that are directly contradictory to the scriptures. I've yet to find any Republican or Conservative in America who fits the true definition of a Christian.

At the other extreme end are liberals like Bill Maher and the other anti-religious people on the left who are totally ignorant of Christianity. They think Christianity is a bad thing because of the behavior they see from the sinful hypocrites on the right who call themselves Christian. It's no different than painting the terrorists and all Muslims with the same brush.

It takes a lot to be a true Christian in an evil world like this. Many are called but few are chosen. Finding a true Christian today is like separating the wheat from the chaff.

Old 12-18-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Yes, I'm sure you're well and truly concerned about the integrity of the gospel.
If that's your only response then I must say my post was very effective as you have nothing to counter the facts presented.

Old 12-18-2011, 03:25 PM

674 posts, read 1,057,011 times
Quote:
I've yet to find any Republican or Conservative in America who fits the true definition of a Christian.
I've yet to find a place for Christianity or any other religion in American government.

Faith should be faith and should be private or shared with others who share the same beliefs. Not worked into aspects of government that prohibit non-Christians, or Christians however faithful you believe them to be from having a happy, prosperous life.

Old 12-18-2011, 03:25 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,273,750 times
Quote:
If that's your only response then I must say my post was very effective as you have nothing to counter the facts presented.
Actually, it has more to do with me not bothering to meaningfully engage people who, say, can't discern fundamental differences between such constructs as "facts" and "opinions." Or people who make a hobby of flame-baiting either.

Old 12-18-2011, 03:26 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,861,650 times
Why do liberals "Krugman"?

Quote:

Old 12-18-2011, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
Dude. You've given this way too much thought.

Tebow is a winner. That's all I need to know.
Conservatives are the ones who've decided to use Tebow as an opportunity to exploit Christianity. I felt compelled to rebut their argument with what the scriptures actually says. That's all.

Old 12-18-2011, 03:28 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,965,276 times
Tebowing is a mockery of Christianity. Conservatives have perverted the Gospel.

Another failed attempt at bashing conservatives.

Old 12-18-2011, 03:29 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,801,626 times
Everyone should become progressive atheists; this way intellectualism could replace religion altogether. This would remove any gray areas Biblically speaking. That was sarcasm, for those starting to cheer the notion.

God forbid a Christian like Tebow is actually an admirable and selfless star in the world of self-centered athletes. Honestly, if Jesus were alive today he'd most likely be crucified by progressives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies