Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 02:42 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,485,808 times

Advertisements

Is the only thing that has changed about homosexuality public opinion?

CBS Documentary - The Homosexuals (1967) - YouTube

After watching the entire documentary I believe that public opinion has changed 45 years later. But the nature of homosexuals depicted in the video has not changed and remains the same.

Charles Socarides - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Spoiler
One sad point in the video comes when a 19 year old serviceman on a date with his girlfriend in a park decides to enter a public restroom for sexual favors from another man and is arrested by the police. When asked why he went there for sexual favors, he said he didn't know, and can't explain it. He says over and over in the video that his life will be ruined. And cannot answer why he had the compulsion to leave his girlfriend to have something extra in the public bathroom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 02:45 PM

37,162 posts, read 42,320,726 times
Was he using the girl as cover? When something isn't accepted you need to hide it.

Old 12-19-2011, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Was he using the girl as cover? When something isn't accepted you need to hide it.
He claimed she was his girlfriend, probably a cover because he was in the military and said that his life would be over when they found out.

Still. Public park sex and bathroom sex is something that continues today and hasn't diminished. It doesn't matter how far out of the closet they are able to be, there will always be some who are truly pathological in their behavior.

http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktl...,5793587.story

Old 12-19-2011, 02:57 PM

674 posts, read 1,058,302 times
Currently watching.

I do have to say however, it's very ironic that the public opinion of homosexuality has become increasingly more accepting since this documentary was filmed - but the message conveyed and the sentiments of the first gentleman interviewed are the same things said by gays today.

And that is a want to be loved, accepted and not mistreated simply because of who they are.

Old 12-19-2011, 03:23 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,128,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Is the only thing that has changed about homosexuality public opinion?

After watching the entire documentary I believe that public opinion has changed 45 years later. But the nature of homosexuals depicted in the video has not changed and remains the same.

Charles Socarides - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It seems strange that since Charles Socarides knew so much about homosexuality - its causes and cures and most importantly how to prevent it - that he'd raise a gay son. I'd say the nature of homosexuals as depicted by him in this video has proven to be complete and utter horse****.

Old 12-19-2011, 03:29 PM

I wonder if CBS news would be interested in revisiting that documentary and catching up 45 years later to determine how much has changed.

Frankly, I don't think CBS news or any other news network is capable of examining, and producing a documentary of that nature to be open, honest, unbiased and fact based anymore. Not in the same matter as it was in 1967.

Old 12-19-2011, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
It seems strange that since Charles Socarides knew so much about homosexuality - its causes and cures and most importantly how to prevent it - that he'd raise a gay son. I'd say the nature of homosexuals as depicted by him in this video has proven to be complete and utter horse****.
He outlined the causes and was an expert. I'm inclined to believe that his son was a test subject.

Old 12-19-2011, 03:45 PM

674 posts, read 1,058,302 times
Quote:
He outlined the causes and was an expert. I'm inclined to believe that his son was a test subject.
You mean he outlined what he thinks are causes; and is an "expert" on something science has yet to explain. Half of the things he's guessed at in that documentary are things that the public didn't know because of the stigma surrounding homosexuality; not because of academic research. That's why anybody who watches that today would grow as bored as I did listening to him rattle on about common knowledge today; concerning what can be considered knowledge at least.

Old 12-19-2011, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhAcid View Post
You mean he outlined what he thinks are causes; and is an "expert" on something science has yet to explain. Half of the things he's guessed at in that documentary are things that the public didn't know because of the stigma surrounding homosexuality; not because of academic research. That's why anybody who watches that today would grow as bored as I did listening to him rattle on about common knowledge today; concerning what can be considered knowledge at least.
The key is to watch the documentary with an open mind to view what the prevailing cultural beliefs were at the time it was made 45 years ago. The fact that you became bored with the "rattle on" means you disregarded the content before you watched the entire video. There's really nothing for you to add to the conversation because of that fact. You've already made up your mind with prejudice. I would say that there was academic research in 1967. And, there were two competing views of academic research on the topic which were discussed in the documentary. You'd know that if you had watched the entire program.

Old 12-19-2011, 04:49 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,722,234 times
Quote:
You've already made up your mind with prejudice.
But you just said that you wouldn't trust CBS to produce an honest documentary on the subject today. That's prejudice.

My guess is that those who are anti-gay will embrace the 1967 documentary as "the truth". They'll also say that everything we've learned about sexual orientation during the last 40 years is just "propaganda".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies