Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2011, 09:48 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,030,403 times

Advertisements

This is how the government treats its citizens now. Unbelievable. A guy down the street from me got a ticket for lawn clippings in the street after he cut his grass earlier this summer. I would dump all my trash in the street and then call the city and tell em I saw somebody stop their car and dump some trash and they need to come pick it up. They wanna play games then let the games begin.

"Janson says, "We've lived here 30 years and always put the garbage out Monday and Thursday for Tuesday and Friday pickup."
It is legal to put out the trash cans the day before pick-up but the time of the day matters. City sanitation rules say the cans can be put out no earlier than 4:00 p.m. from October 1st to April 1st.
Janson's ticket was written at 3:27 p.m.
"What, do they sit down the block waiting so they can go catch all of those criminals?" Janson asked.
He wasn't aware of the city ordinance and was upset that he didn't get a warning. He plans to fight his ticket.
"I know the city is looking for money but this is ridiculous," Jansen says. "With all of the things wrong with this city, this is what we crack down on! Hard working, law abiding, tax paying citizens putting out their garbage 39 minutes early!"
Fox 5 News has learned that a number of other Queens residents have also received $100 tickets for putting out the trash too early. A state senator is investigating the actions of the Sanitation Department."

Trash Can Tickets In Queens (http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/trash-can-tickets-in-queens-20111219-lgf#ixzz1h2JbbGyW - broken link)
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 10:16 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,563,928 times
Pretty sad when they are resorting to that for revenue.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:23 PM

7,788 posts, read 8,038,225 times
people still dont get it either. more gov more gov,soon you will have to bring out you garbage personally and stand there while a TSA agent goes through it

Old 12-21-2011, 08:15 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,626,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
This is how the government treats its citizens now. Unbelievable. A guy down the street from me got a ticket for lawn clippings in the street after he cut his grass earlier this summer.
local gov'ts spend an inordinate amount of money cleaning lawn debris out of the stormwater system. so that, i do understand.

Quote:
I would dump all my trash in the street and then call the city and tell em I saw somebody stop their car and dump some trash and they need to come pick it up. They wanna play games then let the games begin.
yeah you sound like a real model citizen.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:19 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,845,020 times
"It is legal to put out the trash cans the day before pick-up but the time of the day matters. City sanitation rules say the cans can be put out no earlier than 4:00 p.m. from October 1st to April 1st.
Janson's ticket was written at 3:27 p.m."

Which means, he broke the law. I've heard that if there is a law, you're not supposed to break it... if you do, you bear the consequences. And if ticket was written at 3.27 pm, he had put trash certainly more than 30 minutes earlier.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:28 AM

219 posts, read 542,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
"It is legal to put out the trash cans the day before pick-up but the time of the day matters. City sanitation rules say the cans can be put out no earlier than 4:00 p.m. from October 1st to April 1st.

Which means, he broke the law. I've heard that if there is a law, you're not supposed to break it... if you do, you bear the consequences. And if ticket was written at 3.27 pm, he had put trash certainly more than 30 minutes earlier.
Except he (allegedly) didn't know of the law. It isn't an excuse but I think they are pushing the humanitarian angle here. But then again, he wouldn't be able to experience our great legal system and waiting in line on trial day with all the other defendants to sit down with the over burdened prosecutor to stamp out a plea bargain before trial. Since the prosecutor, court staff and judge(s) need to be paid, it seems in this case they are giving a ticket to pay for the employees who are needed to collect on the ticket.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:42 AM

13,697 posts, read 9,026,316 times
I confess, I am also slightly confused. We also have the same type of city ordinance: we may put out the trash the night before pickup, but not prior to 5 p.m.

Hence, I do not put out the trash prior to 5 p.m. the night before pickup.

I will add that, as a youth growing up in the late 1950s and early 1960s, I appreciate the steps that have been taken since that time to 'clean up' the city. Back in the day, we had metal trash bins into which you dumped your garbage (leftover food scraps, paper, paint cans, bottles, what have you), then you put the smelly trash can out in the street (or in the alley). The trash men then drove by, picked up your can(s), dumped the garbage into the back of the truck, and then dumped your cans back on the ground (it was very noisey when they came by).

The garbage cans, of course, became rank very quickly. All those people my age will recall the duty of having to occasionally hose out the garbage can.

Dogs knocking over the cans was common, and trash spread up and down the street was a weekly occurance.

Anyway, I well recall when the various cities began phrasing out the metal garbage cans for the black plastic bags. How some people howled about how their 'rights' were being taken away! It was a communist takeover!

Of course, as the years passed, many saw that it was a good thing. The smell and insects (particularly flies) has gone down tremendously. Our neighborhoods are cleaner. I no longer have to clean out a metal trash can with a years worth of rendered fat, oils, etc, glued to the can.

What a world we live in. Now people complain because they can't read a simple rule, or find the mental strength to abide by said rule.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:49 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,578,185 times
What do you call a person who believes a family that was encouraged to come here and has been here for decades should be broken up immediately and deported while simultaneously believing a citizen should be able to bend the rules to suit their own needs?

I'm pretty sure you already know....

You just watch. The same people on here who say "the law is the law and we must deport every illegal" will make excuses for this person.

The party of family values, indeed.

Heck, I shouldn't even comment. You guys have Gingrich and had Cain running. If it weren't so pathetic, it'd be sad.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:49 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,293,111 times
Back when I was in Drivers' Ed, they told us that the traffic laws differ from state to state, and we still had to follow them. The question was asked, "but we don't know their laws! How can they ticket us if we don't know?"

The instructor replied, "Ignorance of the law is no excuse."

Same applies here. The man will remember from now on, whether his fine is forgiven or not. And he will no longer be ignorant of the law.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:54 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,215,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post

We all understand that what he did broke a law, but the real issue is that given the sheer number of serious crimes happening every day, why are the police even bothering with this law? There are much more valuable things for police to do to benefit society right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies