Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2011, 05:11 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Sounds like a business opportunity: a hotel just for smokers. Start drafting the business plan and make you a fortune.
BUT you can't do that because it's against the law, the busness owner has no choice. In PA if you own bar and more than 20% of your sales are food you can't allow smoking. A lot of places ending up making a choice from curtailing the food or banning smoking. There is bar near me that did a booming business with food, takeout and at the bar. They ended up cutting their menu down to nothing so they could allow smoking, does that make sense?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 05:12 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Btw, I think it's fine for hotels with patios or balconies to be fully non-smoking. That's a fair compromise, since many prefer smoking outside anyway - just not when it requires trekking across a giant hotel in our pajamas.

Of course, the way some people are these days, they'd probably still whine that it was wafting past their windows. Oy.
I think it's fine for hotels to be fully non-smoking even if they don't have patios or balconies. However, I don't think nanny government should be telling hotels what smoking rules they're allowed to have.

And, honestly, we are really picked on in some of these threads. I don't know if you read a few pages back, but one poster was talking about how only "low-class" people smoke. Wow...

Old 12-21-2011, 05:13 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,418,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
BUT you can't do that because it's against the law, the busness owner has no choice. In PA if you own bar and more than 20% of your sales are food you can't allow smoking. A lot of places ending up making a choice from curtailing the food or banning smoking. There is bar near me that did a booming business with food, takeout and at the bar. They ended up cutting their menu down to nothing so they could allow smoking, does that make sense?
Form a private club. Charge $1 for membership. The club is members only. Legal in all 50 states.

Old 12-21-2011, 05:14 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Smoking rooms should cost more!
If they do it should be up to market to decide that, not the government. There is nothing preventing a hotel for charging more for smoking room.

Old 12-21-2011, 05:21 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
I don't understand why people always have to pick on smokers. We know what we're doing is bad for us. Most of us started as teenagers and quitting is h*ll, staying quit is even harder. What's ironic is that I'm sure many of you anti-smoking people used to be smokers yourselves. You are free to avoid places where smoking is allowed and, even in the absence of laws, smoking is prohibited by most businesses in this day and age.

Honestly, you've practically made smoking illegal with all these restrictions on people smoking in private places and with these absurd taxes (I don't see a real difference between a tax and a fine when the taxes are so enormous).

Old 12-21-2011, 05:22 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
George Orwell was right.

Remember when we used to live in a free society?
When was that?
We've never lived in a 'free' society. There have always been restrictions against something. Always.

As was mentioned earlier, great news!!!
And as was also mentioned earlier, if the hotels felt that this was going to hurt their business, there would have been much greater push-back against these laws from the chains, the tourism industry, local chambers of commerce, etc.

Old 12-21-2011, 05:26 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,811,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
What if you're smoker and there isn't any smoking rooms available for 100 miles?
Dip, chew, snus, e-cigarette, the patch, gum, or just walk out the door

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
And, honestly, we are really picked on in some of these threads. I don't know if you read a few pages back, but one poster was talking about how only "low-class" people smoke. Wow...
Technically they would be correct as the highest percentage of those that do smoke are of low education and income.

Old 12-21-2011, 05:34 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,692,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I don't understand why people always have to pick on smokers. We know what we're doing is bad for us. Most of us started as teenagers and quitting is h*ll, staying quit is even harder. What's ironic is that I'm sure many of you anti-smoking people used to be smokers yourselves. You are free to avoid places where smoking is allowed and, even in the absence of laws, smoking is prohibited by most businesses in this day and age.

Honestly, you've practically made smoking illegal with all these restrictions on people smoking in private places and with these absurd taxes (I don't see a real difference between a tax and a fine when the taxes are so enormous).
Liberals will do anything to feel better about themselves. It's almost ironic that they are labeled "liberals" when they absolutely hate liberty!

Old 12-21-2011, 05:39 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,811,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Liberals will do anything to feel better about themselves. It's almost ironic that they are labeled "liberals" when they absolutely hate liberty!
Yes everything is always "the libs" fault , Even though it's not a federal mandate and it's up to the states to enact their own laws, which many hard right ones also have smoking bans

Old 12-21-2011, 05:42 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,533,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Nothing except it's easier to blame it on the law than to standing in front of an irate smoker who is demanding you change your personal non-smoker's policy just for them.
I have only seen that with non-smokers when they would go to a restaurant and had to wait for a non-smoking table.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies