Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2011, 01:57 AM

298 posts, read 389,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
No. I seriously doubt if there's any hotel owner out there who likes having people smoke in his/her hotel rooms because it does ruin the room. By banning it everywhere, it levels the playing field. No hotel owner has to worry about losing business to other hotels if it's banned outright.

And seriously, what are people thinking, wanting to smoke indoors? I haven't seen a lit cigarette indoors since the '90s Smokers need to get over it. Smoke in your own home, car, or outside. I support your right to smoke, but it's such a filthy habit, it should be banned in all public buildings or buildings where the public has access.
That is what it's really about... government leveling the playing field in the name of fairness... also known as communism
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 02:04 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,862,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dank View Post
That is what it's really about... government leveling the playing field in the name of fairness... also known as communism
That is beyond ridiculous. If a business owner chooses to take on those extra costs then he should gain the business he would from doing so.

They just don't like smoking. It has absolutely nothing to do with business. Of course the simple solution is "not smoke" or "go to a non smoking hotel" but what fun is that?

Seriously, if I want to give a guy $100 to use one of his rooms and smoke a cigarette at some point during my stay who the **** is anyone to tell me I can't? I really have to wonder what goes through these peoples' heads.

Old 12-22-2011, 02:15 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,532,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Sorry, but nobody gives a damn about smokers anymore. You pollute the environment and raise healthcare costs for all.

You have gone the way of the horse and buggy. Get over yourself. It's not a liberal or conservative issue. It's a "the country has evolved and you refuse to" issue.

You're right, it's not a liberal/conservative issue. Because of the unrelenting, never-ending efforts of the smoke-Nazi's, it's now become a Civil Rights issue.

I wasn't aware of the WI ban until I called a hotel in Door County the other day. When informed of the new law, I had to tell them "No thank you. I won't spending my vacation in Wisconsin."

And, I won't. If they don't want my smoke, they don't want my smoke-stained money. It's a free country and they can do as they like, but they need to be told it's costing them business.

Old 12-22-2011, 02:19 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,532,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
It's simple, libs are tyrants. whatever the like or don't like, must be forced upon everyone else in the world, and they use government to make it happen.

The libs in power of the government didn't like the smell of smoke, so they used the point of a gun to force their own personal idiosyncrasies down the throats of the rest of the citizens in their state. Freedom? To hell with freedom, they want what they want, and we will either obey, or suffer the legal consequences.
Before you go off on a tangent about evil liberals and smoking, you might want to research Arkansas under that "conservative" darling, Mike Huckabee. Or, Louisiana under Bobby Jindal and see what "conservative" politicians are doing to smokers too.

Old 12-22-2011, 03:11 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Dip, chew, snus, e-cigarette, the patch, gum, or just walk out the door
Exactly, I'd suggest non smokers take that advice too.

Old 12-22-2011, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Isn't that the state where uber right-wing Republican governor Scott Walker presides????
A quick Google search shows it was passed in 2009 with some Republican support.

Old 12-22-2011, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Just droppin' by, again. I have not seen one "liberal" argue in favor of allowing marijuan smoking in a hotel room, so cut the crap you guys!
If they weren't going to look like total hypocrite they'd be out in force.

Old 12-22-2011, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
actually the hotel industry has been pushing more non smoking rooms since the late 70s, before any regulations were put in place, because many of their guests wanted them. the government is just stepping in as a johnny come lately and requiring a certain percentage of hotel rooms be non smoking.
My argument is not about what the hotel does, if the hotel wants to completely ban smoking in every room they have in the entire nation that's their decision. On the flip side if they wanted to make every room they have smoking that is up to them too. If my understanding is correct In this case the government is outright banning it altogether, they don't even have the choice of a percentage and even if they do there is the inevitable push that will ban it permanently.

When these laws started they were sensible and reasonable banning it in hospitals, public buildings etc. They moved onto private establishments like bars and restaurants. Now they are at the point of banning smoking in open air parks and within residences.

Old 12-22-2011, 03:34 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
i wouldn't mind getting twisted in a DoubleTree, i'd keep trying to check in to new rooms just to get more of those amazing cookies
LOL. You actually can smoke pot in some California hotels, provided they aren't completely non-smoking & you have a prescription... at least I think it's okay, since nobody's ever said otherwise! Pot smoke also doesn't linger like cigarettes, so most non-smokers I know are bothered much less (or not at all) by it. Regardless, I don't know of anyone - liberal or otherwise - who's fighting for the right to smoke weed in hotels. That's just silly.

Old 12-22-2011, 05:09 AM

4,428 posts, read 4,482,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
If the hotels felt that this was going to hurt their business, there would have been much greater push-back against these laws from the chains, the tourism industry, local chambers of commerce, etc.

There was PUSHBACK.

Freedom lovers lost. LIBERALS (Definition: Not limited to or by established, traditional, orthodox, or authoritarian attitudes, views, or dogmas; free from bigotry) won.

Many bars in Michigan have closed because their patrons can no longer smoke. Progressives suck.

If you smoke, don't visit Michigan or Wisconsin. The Liberals have decided what you can and can not do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies