Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 07:21 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,470,546 times

Advertisements

Why do so many people on this forum have such an irrational hatred of, and show so much anger towards, "the other side"?

I have my opinions on the issues, but I don't think those with different opinions are stupid and uneducated. Are some people so stupid that they need to engage in pathetic name calling and insults because they can't actually defend their opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 07:39 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,210,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Why do so many people on this forum have such an irrational hatred of, and show so much anger towards, "the other side"?

I have my opinions on the issues, but I don't think those with different opinions are stupid and uneducated. Are some people so stupid that they need to engage in pathetic name calling and insults because they can't actually defend their opinions?

I don't think they'd say some of the things they do here to a person physically in front of them--they can be really nasty online and they don't have to deal with the consequences. I also think we have a lot of youngsters who confuse name calling with discussion or debate. They don't have the depth of experience or knowledge on issues to do much more than that, so they turn into rabid mouth foamers. We also have some people who ARE rational, and although I may or may not agree with them, I learn something from the interaction. That's what keeps me coming back.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:43 PM

1,604 posts, read 1,566,597 times
Quote:

The Teabaggers started it first. I reserve my right to defend my side.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:46 PM

19,845 posts, read 12,116,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
The Teabaggers started it first. I reserve my right to defend my side.
Like a moth to a flame.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:47 PM

27,658 posts, read 16,151,349 times
And it spills over into another thread like a bar room brawl.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:51 PM

7,788 posts, read 8,034,504 times
Two great posts. I avoid the name calling posts anymore and notice the most informative posters do the same. never see them on the silly D or R slug fest name calling threads. both have their bad apples and the frenzy when one slips up is like sharks on blood. the news media R & D are just as bad

Old 12-22-2011, 08:31 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,942,450 times
I seldom visit this forum because it tends to be a very negative experience. It feels like the Internet version of some sleazy talk radio program where the host encourages the callers to be as mean spirited and outrageous as possible. I actually feel guilty when I spend any amount of time here - its a waste of effort and energy. Sure, there are a few rational posters, but their words tend to get lost amidst the name calling and general nastiness. I don't know why CD tolerates this place - it brings the entire web site down just through association.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:35 PM

973 posts, read 1,453,773 times
It's just the nature of the interweb these days it seems.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:41 PM

170 posts, read 362,239 times
Default future shock

Quote:

This is just a microcosm of society in general and the world at large. nobody trusts anybody anymore. Everyone wants to get what they can before the whole human race collapses into information overload.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:43 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,827,353 times
If you in your heart and mind can muster up the dark emotion of hate and sustain it - then you are an inferiour idiot...You can judge and disapprove - but to walk about steaming and seething in hate makes you a total idiot - plus it allows villians to manipulate you - Hate is the stupid man's love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies