Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should This Boy Be Forced To Change His Shoes
Yes 29 31.18%
No 48 51.61%
Yes, But Only If Girls Are Forced To Change Shoes Also 16 17.20%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 05:13 PM

30,448 posts, read 52,161,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
The ghost of Liberace?
LMAO. "The spirit of Liberace compels you! The spirit of Liberace compels you!"

As someone who grew up in the '80s, I can honestly say this is nothing new... boys wore heels (usually on boots) back then, in addition to makeup and long/teased hair. Big whoop, who really gives a crap. Unless the girls are also banned from wearing heels, I don't see why this should be an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2011, 05:20 PM

18,247 posts, read 22,610,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Meh, this is when kids are figuring out who they are. This is when they dress funny and try to be an individual. They're young, who cares. You can still study and get good grades despite the fact that you're wearing high heeled shoes or whatever else it is you fight to wear. Plus, they are learning to buck the status quo...something I will always support.
School is for learning. If they were in uniforms with a strict dress code then this would be a non-issue. Those kids can express themselves after school or on the weekend. The focus should be on getting an education, not trying to have a fashion competition. America's education priorities are screwed up.

Old 12-24-2011, 05:24 PM

288 posts, read 284,326 times
I voted "no", the school district where I live have a strict dress code. The girls are not allowed to wear shirt shorts, short skirts, spaghetti strapped shirts, or heels. The aren't allowed to wear any of those things are tight shirts.

During the senior year, there is a day when people can cross dress, but that's it..

Old 12-24-2011, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Meh, this is when kids are figuring out who they are. This is when they dress funny and try to be an individual. They're young, who cares. You can still study and get good grades despite the fact that you're wearing high heeled shoes or whatever else it is you fight to wear. Plus, they are learning to buck the status quo...something I will always support.
Yep, me too! Just imagine if we all shared photos from our middle & high school years... especially for those of us who attended school in the 80s-90s, I'm sure there would be some embarrassing fashion choices in those pics. As for myself, I flip-flopped between the "hippie" and grunge looks - and boy, did I think those bright green Doc Martens were the coolest.

Old 12-24-2011, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unique27 View Post
I voted "no", the school district where I live have a strict dress code. The girls are not allowed to wear shirt shorts, short skirts, spaghetti strapped shirts, or heels. The aren't allowed to wear any of those things are tight shirts.

During the senior year, there is a day when people can cross dress, but that's it..
Yes, but apparently this school doesn't have a strict dress code... and the poll didn't ask "should they have a dress code," it asks whether he should have the right to wear heels. So assuming this school doesn't ban heels & such for ALL students, how do you feel about it?

FWIW, I would support uniforms for public schools in the US, as they do in so many other countries... having worked in a public school, I can tell you clothing is often a distraction and/or basis for conflicts. But that's a moot point, in terms of this particular situation.

Old 12-24-2011, 06:30 PM

2,713 posts, read 3,033,840 times
NO...jeez

Old 12-24-2011, 06:56 PM

4,592 posts, read 9,238,207 times
If tomboys can wear baggy jeans and jordans, then I guess boys wearing girly heels won't be too far of a stretch. And punkers wear finger-nail polish, although it's only in the color black and I guess that what makes it not look so girlish. Personally, I think he is looking fabulous in those heels.[pun intended]

PS- Prince wore heels

Old 12-24-2011, 07:20 PM

30,549 posts, read 23,967,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
School is for learning. If they were in uniforms with a strict dress code then this would be a non-issue. Those kids can express themselves after school or on the weekend. The focus should be on getting an education, not trying to have a fashion competition. America's education priorities are screwed up.
I disagree. I, too, like gizmo, grew up in the 80s and we wore some crazy ass sh*t back then. It did not interfere with our school work or studies. I don't believe in stifling kids being able to express their creativity or in finding their individuality.

If everyone looks the same, sure, they learn from books but they learn NOTHING about socializing with people they wouldn't normally socialize with, they wouldn't learn about tolerance and acceptance or how to get over it when someone wears something they don't like or looks different than they do...there's more to learning than just what's in the books.

I'm against school uniforms in public schools.

Old 12-24-2011, 07:32 PM

2,079 posts, read 4,964,493 times
It's pretty obvious that this kid is playing drama queen just for attention. Notice how he approached his classmates as if he were some sort of a movie star or something.

The school district should make the kid take off the fancy shoes or face expulsion for a week or two to think about his actions.

Old 12-24-2011, 07:33 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,043,591 times
It kind of remind me of the the butt-dragging, underwear-displaying pants argument. Technically it is not one bit illegal, so it kind of goes to what is tolerated. And that probably has to do with what the surrounding culture finds acceptable and permissible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies