Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 01:05 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
I'll bet you and I could sit down and share a roast pork dinner and argue politics all night. Could you do that with everyone?
Well, i don't discuss politics with people offline unless they force the issue, and even then i keep it brief.

I'd much rather discuss the finer things in life. Good food, good drink, sports, women, places, planes, trains and automobiles....especially automobiles.

Politics is boring. But yea, i could discuss anything with anyone. In fact, the more different you are from me, the more i like it.

That's why i can't see how anyone can listen to 3 or 4 hours of some blowhard on the radio that they agree with. It's a waste of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2011, 01:05 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yea, the Baywatch Corps doesn't suffer dummies too well. You have to be fairly smart to get in.
LOL..the USCG is a busy branch down in South Florida which is where I lived when I was in. Drug running, Mariel boat lift, dead Haitians washing up on the shores and numerous Space Shuttle launches kept us pretty busy.

Old 12-26-2011, 01:06 PM

3,078 posts, read 4,375,581 times
For all the discussion about weapons, mess hall food, and reasons for joining or not joining the military, how many posters noticed that the issue was regarding a 14 yr old girl who wanted to wear a scarf at a high school homecoming parade? WorldNutzDaily dragged the US Army into it, against all pertinent facts.
CAIR: New Army Policy Will Allow JROTC Hijabs, Turbans -- WASHINGTON, Dec. 22, 2011 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ --

Old 12-26-2011, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
LOL..the USCG is a busy branch down in South Florida which is where I lived when I was in. Drug running, Mariel boat lift, dead Haitians washing up on the shores and numerous Space Shuttle launches kept us pretty busy.
I wanted to be in the CG after meeting Alex Haley once, but i had a feeling that the Cold War could end soon, and i didn't want to miss out on it as sick as that sounds. I wanted to see it up front...close and personal. That meant Europe. Army was the only way i was gonna get there.

My dad avoided military service during Vietnam because he was a conscientious objector and felt that blacks shouldn't serve in the military (civil rights era). But my grandfather had served in the Pacific during WW2, and i knew that i wanted to do something like he did. So i was dumb and idealistic.

But if i could do it all over again, i wish i'd joined the USCG instead.

Old 12-26-2011, 01:27 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,067,345 times
Quote:
Well, i don't discuss politics with people offline unless they force the issue, and even then i keep it brief.

I'd much rather discuss the finer things in life. Good food, good drink, sports, women, places, planes, trains and automobiles....especially automobiles.

Politics is boring. But yea, i could discuss anything with anyone. In fact, the more different you are from me, the more i like it.

That's why i can't see how anyone can listen to 3 or 4 hours of some blowhard on the radio that they agree with. It's a waste of time.
You missed the point. We both come from the same culture and have more in common than not. While I'm shoveling a certain food in my face, you may ask how I can put that gross crap in my mouth but you will not start a religious war over what's for dinner. Skin color is nothing, culture clash isn't as easy a hurdle to jump as you imagine.

Try marrying a woman from a different culture and country. Not as easy as you might think. Your battles will not be over skin color but there will be battles.

Old 12-26-2011, 01:36 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,067,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

I know an Ex-SEAL who transferred to the USCG thinking his remaining years till retirement would be easier. So much for free time.

Old 12-26-2011, 02:54 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
Quote:
You don't know what you're talking about...STILL!

Most recruiters will tell you that even in some pretty decent school districts, the majority of kids can't get past the ASVAB in many cases. This was most certainly the case when my uncle was on recruiting duty.

And even if you go into the infantry (like i did), the bar isn't as low as you think it is. Actually some pretty damn smart kids become grunts. In fact, when i switched over to logistics, i know for a fact that many grunts i know had higher GT scores than a lot of guys in support functions.

Sorry, but it takes more than just being able to count your money and write your name to get in the military. But keep fooling yourself.
Yeah it takes around a 30 out of 99. Now you have an uncle who happens to be a recruiter to boot. Do you just make this crap up as you go on?

Old 12-26-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Yeah it takes around a 30 out of 99. Now you have an uncle who happens to be a recruiter to boot. Do you just make this crap up as you go on?
WAS a recruiter and a hell of a lot of guys can't get that 30.

Give it a rest dude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies