Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 08:58 AM

1,956 posts, read 1,812,110 times

Advertisements

Israeli spy chief downplays Iranian nuke threat - Washington Times

Quote:
The head of Israel’s intelligence agency says that a nuclear-armed Iran does not necessarily pose an existential threat to the Jewish state.
At least the Israelis are more sane than our politicians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2011, 10:31 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
There is a lot of sanity on the Israeli side, but it gets drowned out by a combination of our idiot warmongers and their idiot warmongers.

A nuclear armed Iran isn't going to do squat to Israel, lest they want their country obliterated for eternity. And they don't want that no matter how much Conservatives claim they do.

Old 12-31-2011, 11:08 AM

5,002 posts, read 12,360,632 times
I don't know though ... Ahmadenejad has repeatedly said that Israel should be "wiped off the map" and the only way to do that is through nukes. Iran is a military pipsqueak compared to Israel and Saudi Arabia with our support. So the only way to "fight the occupiers" aka Israel is to use nukes.

On the other hand, though, I think Iran is getting nukes more as a deterrent than anything else. No country would want to invade Iran, even the USA, if they have the bomb. Worst case, Iran, which is mostly Shia Muslim, will nuke Saudi Arabia, which is mostly Sunni, or vice versa.

Old 12-31-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
I don't know though ... Ahmadenejad has repeatedly said that Israel should be "wiped off the map" and the only way to do that is through nukes.
One of the greatest propaganda of our times.

The "Wipe Israel Off The Map" Hoax

Quote:
On the other hand, though, I think Iran is getting nukes more as a deterrent than anything else. No country would want to invade Iran, even the USA, if they have the bomb. Worst case, Iran, which is mostly Shia Muslim, will nuke Saudi Arabia, which is mostly Sunni, or vice versa.
Absolutely. I don't think Iran is trying to make a weapon, or even if they try to, I won't blame them. Why wouldn't they want them, when everyone around them has them and the U.S. is pushing them around everyday? Look what happened to Gaddaffi when he fell for our sweet talk and gave up his nuclear ambitions. We screwed him big time. Seeing that, would the Iranians want to trust the U.S. and give up their nuclear ambitions?

Old 12-31-2011, 12:07 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
I don't know though ... Ahmadenejad has repeatedly said that Israel should be "wiped off the map"...
That's disinformation and misinformation.

Ahmadenejad has never "repeatedly" said that. He never even said it once. Even if you can twist and spin an incredibly poor translation into something as perverted as that, then you must also accept the fact that it was directed at Israel's government, and not at the State of Israel or the Israeli people.

It might also behoove you to learn something about Iran, like, oh, say, the Iranian government. Even though Ahmadenejad has the title "president" his powers are neither synonymous nor equivalent to a US president, or even to the French or German presidents.

Iran has term limits for president, which is 8 years like the US. Ahmadenejad was first elected in 2005, thanks to the fact that your hero Bush the Younger constantly maligned, disparaged and humiliated the moderate President Khatami at every possible opportunity.

Ahmadenejad was re-elected in 2009.

A new president will be elected in 2013.

Get over it already.

Old 12-31-2011, 12:08 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
we are tired and broke. iran is not stupid. now would be a good time for them to assert themselves.
for us, ramping up is guna be a big mistake.
let china or russia step up to the plate as world police. its an expensive job.
i would back peddle right about now.
boycott-- dont do an armed embargo.
if they wana block the shipping channel let them unless its our ships.

Old 12-31-2011, 12:14 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,341,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_pains View Post
Israeli spy chief downplays Iranian nuke threat - Washington Times

At least the Israelis are more sane than our politicians.
Maybe the Israelis are looking at their intelligence objectively. While American politicians manipulate our "intelligence" to get votes.

Old 12-31-2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
Maybe the Israelis are looking at their intelligence objectively. While American politicians manipulate our "intelligence" to get votes.
Yet, how many of you who admit that we are getting manipulated will support the only candidate who is opposing our foolhardiness to jump into a war with Iran? No one. It's all talk. Everyone would rather hear some jingoism from idiots like Romney and Santorum rather then the truth, because somehow jingoism has become patriotism in our eyes.

Old 12-31-2011, 06:07 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,360,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
That's disinformation and misinformation.

Ahmadenejad has never "repeatedly" said that. He never even said it once. Even if you can twist and spin an incredibly poor translation into something as perverted as that, then you must also accept the fact that it was directed at Israel's government, and not at the State of Israel or the Israeli people.

It might also behoove you to learn something about Iran, like, oh, say, the Iranian government. Even though Ahmadenejad has the title "president" his powers are neither synonymous nor equivalent to a US president, or even to the French or German presidents.

Iran has term limits for president, which is 8 years like the US. Ahmadenejad was first elected in 2005, thanks to the fact that your hero Bush the Younger constantly maligned, disparaged and humiliated the moderate President Khatami at every possible opportunity.

Ahmadenejad was re-elected in 2009.

A new president will be elected in 2013.

Get over it already.
Whoh whoh whoh there partner! Cool your jets and stop jumping to conclusions and take a deep breath ... one ... two ... three ... there we go! Calmed down now?

OK.

You're making a whole lot of assumptions ... like Bush is my hero (LMAO! I voted against Bush both times! I'm usually a straight ticket Democrat voter).

So I did some reading on the "wipe Israel off the map" stuff and the more I read the more I'm wondering how much of that is propoganda from the US news networks and how much is truth. So at least I have an open mind!

And Khatami really was more moderate, it is a shame that we had to basically push Iran to be more extreme.

At the same time though I cannot admit that Iran having the nuke would be a good thing. They are, at the end of the day, a theological autocracy, and the religious council may just decide one day to override the government and declare war.

Old 12-31-2011, 07:48 PM

Quote:
At the same time though I cannot admit that Iran having the nuke would be a good thing. They are, at the end of the day, a theological autocracy, and the religious council may just decide one day to override the government and declare war.
The Ayatollah and the Guardian Council already controls everything. Ahmadinejad is like our Joe Biden - no power and just shoots his mouth off, embarrassing them. So not sure what you are saying about overriding the government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies