Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 02:21 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times

Advertisements

Local News | Obesity rise prompts Wash. ferry capacity change | Seattle Times Newspaper

I hesitated to post this in this section, but amazingly enough obesity is now considered a political issue, so I did it.

The Washington state ferry system, which by law is considered a part of our highway system, has had to adjust their standards due to new data on obesity from the CDC. The average passenger weight is now estimated at 185 lbs., up from 160, which means that the typical ferry can now haul 250 fewer passengers than previously, according to a spokesperson for the service.

I am 5'7" 132 lbs and a lifelong marathon runner. But I always figured to each his own--I have my vices, you have yours--mine are none of your business, and yours none of mine. But as we move towards socialized this, socialized that, particularly transportation and health care, we're going to see more public costs imposed by obesity, and more calls for government regulation thereof. Brave new world, you wanted it, you will get it, as Mencken said, 'good and hard.'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 02:26 PM

679 posts, read 660,891 times
Perhaps if we as a nation were not so fat...

Old 12-22-2011, 02:30 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Well, elevators have long been rated by weight, not how many people you can fit in. That said, at 6', 180 lb, I feel offended that 185 lb would be considered "average" for Americans.

Old 12-22-2011, 02:34 PM

416 posts, read 637,528 times
perhaps if we stop gov't subsidies for things like corn syrup then the crap cheap food won't be so cheap anymore and people will make the choice with their wallets.

the viola moment is when good food costs as much or less than the crap food and people choose the former and we start losing weight as a whole

Old 12-22-2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehalo View Post
perhaps if we stop gov't subsidies for things like corn syrup then the crap cheap food won't be so cheap anymore and people will make the choice with their wallets.

the viola moment is when good food costs as much or less than the crap food and people choose the former and we start losing weight as a whole
This link between obesity and HFCS has always been a pet theory of mine. I avoid HFCS like the plague.
Sound Politics Public Blog: Did Big Gov't cause big bellies???

I'm sure there are multiple causes of the rise in obesity, but I suspect this is part of the answer. I am far from expert on the subject.

Old 12-22-2011, 03:00 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Local News | Obesity rise prompts Wash. ferry capacity change | Seattle Times Newspaper

But as we move towards socialized this, socialized that, particularly transportation and health care, we're going to see more public costs imposed by obesity, and more calls for government regulation thereof. Brave new world, you wanted it, you will get it, as Mencken said, 'good and hard.'
And, you can thank all those who so ardently supported the goals of the smoke-Nazi's for bringing you this Brave New World of government dictation of YOUR lifestyle.

That's where it started, but nobody had the critical thinking skills to ponder on just what comes next after smoking.

To all the overweight people out there:

Welcome to our world!

Signed: Smokers

Old 12-22-2011, 03:06 PM

1,459 posts, read 3,298,528 times
I live in WA. Yeah, sure a lot of the women here are the size of whales (why is that by the way) but I would think that a whole herd of them would have to ride the ferry at the same time to have any affect on the ferries. I think this is just another puff of bureacratic smoke from liberal politicians who insist they are fighting for our civil liberties while at the same thing taking away basic freedoms.

Old 12-22-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
And, you can thank all those who so ardently supported the goals of the smoke-Nazi's for bringing you this Brave New World of government dictation of YOUR lifestyle.

That's where it started, but nobody had the critical thinking skills to ponder on just what comes next after smoking.

To all the overweight people out there:

Welcome to our world!

Signed: Smokers
I agree, I recall in the 90's listening to a pundit from Chicago named Bruce DuMont. A political moderate, he expressed great surprise at how readily the American people were cowed by the anti-smoking movement. He said that it did not bode well for our commitment to freedom. I think time has proven him right.

Old 12-22-2011, 05:27 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
This link between obesity and HFCS has always been a pet theory of mine. I avoid HFCS like the plague.
Sound Politics Public Blog: Did Big Gov't cause big bellies???

I'm sure there are multiple causes of the rise in obesity, but I suspect this is part of the answer. I am far from expert on the subject.
I suspect it as well. When corn is used to fatten up animals quicker before slaughter even when corn is not their normal food then that should tell you something.

Old 12-23-2011, 12:53 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
I hesitated to post this in this section, but amazingly enough obesity is now considered a political issue, so I did it.
Just wait until the Phatass™ people have "rights."

It will be their right to bleed your paycheck dry to pay for their health issues, because they are too damn lazy to walk for 20 minutes a day, or ride a bike, or swim, or do any number of other things to keep the weight off (including eating sensibly -- but you don't have to eat sensibly if you exercise).

It will be their right to bleed your paycheck dry to pay for taxes to subsidize mass transit which is losing money on fares and fuel because of the weight they were never meant to handle.

They're already suing restaurants because the restaurant owners are not paying $350,000 for a chair and $750,000 for a table made of titanium and phatassium mined on Europa (by chimpanzees) and transported to Earth by NASA so the tables and chairs will be strong enough and don't collapse when they sit on and break them.

People should probably inquire of their homeowner's insurance agent to see if they can get a Phatass™-rider in the event a rotund friend or acquaintance falls through the living floor or something like that, to cover damage, injuries or death.

Quote:
My theory is foreign light sweet (low sulfur) imported oil.

It is not merely a coincidence that the minute you started putting oil in your food, obesity problems cropped up.

I believe these very complex hydro-carbon chains in artificial flavorings and artificial colorings made by Wild Flavors, Givuadan and others from Saudi Light (Saudi Arabia), Bonny Light (Nigeria) and Tijuana Light (Venezuela) that are in all of your foods interfere with liver functions.

Because of the time, effort and enzymes required to break down those very complex hydro-carbon chains, I believe the liver is less efficient at breaking down carbohydrates, which are then stored as fat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
I did. I've been preaching about it for years.

I always found it obtuse that tobacco advertisements are banned from television, radio and many print media, but alcohol products are not.

I spent a few years on the road and had to clean up drunk driving traffic accidents, drunk industrial accidents, or spouses and children beaten to a bloody pulp by someone who had consumed a 12-pack of beer, but never caused by someone who consumed a carton of Parliament, Pall Mall or Marlboro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies