Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 10:06 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,929,147 times

Advertisements

While it is great to see someone write on their view I would like to see a clear link to the actual legislation that is being enforced or passed? It completely doesn't seem to make some basics clear. Too much "carbon taxing" going on in the guise of helping the planet, for example, so would be nice to see a little clearer information being written. Looks too much like a PR piece to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 10:45 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
A huge and long overdue win for public health | McClatchy (http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2011/12/27/134167/a-huge-and-long-overdue-win-for.html - broken link)

I'm referring to the ruling the Obama administration unveiled Dec. 21 to control toxic mercury pollution from coal-burning power plants. These rules have been 21 years in the making, and now, at long last, they will bring Americans some relief from a pervasive toxin.

Now we have taken aim at another Public Enemy: mercury. The president deserves enormous credit for sticking with his plan despite furious opposition from some in the power industry and their allies on Capitol Hill.

Every year, U.S. power plants release almost 50 tons of mercury into the environment. When coal is burned, some of the mercury in it deposits locally and some can travel hundreds of miles to contaminate rivers, lakes, animals, plants and ultimately our bodies. Mercury is highly toxic
The reality is mercury is a global issue and since these standards do not apply to the most prolific emitters they will have a negligible effect for those in the US. In fact as I have often argued because of the ever increasing costs of doing business here in the US it will drive more manufacturing overseas thereby increasing emissions.

According to the EPA:
Quote:
Fact Sheet - Final Rule | Clean Air Mercury Rule | US EPA

Mercury Emissions: A Global Problem
  • Mercury emitted from coal-fired power plants comes from mercury in coal, which is released when the coal is burned. While coal-fired power plants are the largest remaining source of human-generated mercury emissions in the United States, they contribute very little to the global mercury pool. Recent estimates of annual total global mercury emissions from all sources -- both natural and human-generated -- range from roughly 4,400 to 7,500 tons per year. Human-caused U.S. mercury emissions are estimated to account for roughly 3 percent of the global total, and U.S. coal-fired power plants are estimated to account for only about 1 percent.
  • EPA has conducted extensive analyses on mercury emissions from coal-fired power plants and subsequent regional patterns of deposition to U.S. waters. Those analyses conclude that regional transport of mercury emission from coal-fired power plants in the U.S. is responsible for very little of the mercury in U.S. waters. That small contribution will be significantly reduced after EPA’s Clean Air Interstate Rule and Clean Air Mercury Rule are implemented.
    • U.S. coal-fired power plants emit mercury in three different forms: oxidized mercury (likely to deposit within the U.S.); elemental mercury, which travels hundreds and thousands of miles before depositing to land and water; and mercury that is in particulate form.
    • Because mercury can be transported thousands of miles in the atmosphere, and because many types of fish are caught and sold globally, effective exposure reduction will require reductions in global emissions.
Quote:
Industry lobbyists have always complained about measures to protect the environment and public health. The Clean Air Act would lead to the "collapse of entire industries,"
How many industries have left this country again in that time? While environmental policy is not the only reason it certainly fits in there somewhere. That's not to suggest we don't need environmental regualtion however we need common sense regualtion and this is not common sense since there is really no benefit.

Quote:
The Clean Air Act, for example, has dramatically reduced asthma
Now that is a very interesting statement to say the least. I know you won't have any but I'll ask anyway, any references ?

Now onto reality, the Clean Air Act has reduced the six most common pollutants by nearly 70% since the 80's. Within that same time frame we have see a rise in asthma cases, how does that correlate with your statement?

Last edited by thecoalman; 01-03-2012 at 10:53 PM..

Old 01-04-2012, 08:52 AM

87 posts, read 87,179 times
Talking Help me please I wheezing

Quote:
A huge and long overdue win for public health | McClatchy (http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2011/12/27/134167/a-huge-and-long-overdue-win-for.html - broken link)

I'm referring to the ruling the Obama administration unveiled Dec. 21 to control toxic mercury pollution from coal-burning power plants. These rules have been 21 years in the making, and now, at long last, they will bring Americans some relief from a pervasive toxin.

Now we have taken aim at another Public Enemy: mercury. The president deserves enormous credit for sticking with his plan despite furious opposition from some in the power industry and their allies on Capitol Hill.

Every year, U.S. power plants release almost 50 tons of mercury into the environment. When coal is burned, some of the mercury in it deposits locally and some can travel hundreds of miles to contaminate rivers, lakes, animals, plants and ultimately our bodies. Mercury is highly toxic

Industry lobbyists have always complained about measures to protect the environment and public health. The Clean Air Act would lead to the "collapse of entire industries," said the U.S. Chamber of Commerce in 1971. Phasing out CFCs would kill the refrigeration business. Removing lead from gasoline would mean huge price hikes. Despite these wild predictions, the sky never fell, the American economy continued to prosper, and costs have been far outweighed by the public health benefits. The Clean Air Act, for example, has dramatically reduced asthma

Surely someone here will object to this!
Hello Versatile and all.

Yes, let us celebrate the action of Obama administration to decrease mercury in the bodies of the American populace from coal power plants.

But is it really for the American people's sake?

When China has claim to most of the United States debt overseas and they are looking for some form of payment. Payment includes the resources that the so-called same American people depend on.

A cautious optimism for coal:
A cautious optimism for coal - The Globe and Mail

As Coal Use Declines in U.S., Coal Companies Focus on China:
As Coal Use Declines in U.S., Coal Companies Focus on China by Jonathan Thompson: Yale Environment 360

And finally about asthma

Quote:
The Clean Air Act, for example, has dramatically reduced asthma
When statistics show otherwise:

Link: Asthma Statistics | AAAAI

Either way somebody is lying or telling the truth, but for me I know somebody in America is dying still from asthma. That is a fact.

This Clean Air Act benefit our lovely trading partners the Europeans to help them breathe easier because I hope you know that wind blows from west to east and east of the Atlantic Ocean is the European continent.

Look up westerlies. Better yet I did it for you: USATODAY.com

Europeans need it because the Europeans are growing tired of the United States kicking dirt into their face and ruining all their wonderful architecture by blackening it for the past 500 years.

Before somebody gets offended blacken is a English dictionary term.

Blacken definition link:blacken - definition of blacken by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

We better hope Bill Gates was convincing enough to let the Chinese know nuclear is a better choice.

Why and the Link: https://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...l#post22284793

Now the United States can be blackened by China when they have the United States coal reserves burning it towards our face by westerly winds.

Black face is truly coming back to the United States of America by popular demand.

That's my thoughts on this matter.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:48 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,731,911 times
Quote:

Industry lobbyists have always complained about measures to protect the environment and public health. The Clean Air Act would lead to the "collapse of entire industries," said the U.S. Chamber of Commerce in 1971. Phasing out CFCs would kill the refrigeration business. Removing lead from gasoline would mean huge price hikes. Despite these wild predictions, the sky never fell, the American economy continued to prosper, and costs have been far outweighed by the public health benefits. The Clean Air Act, for example, has dramatically reduced asthma

Don't be so naive. This regulation has little to nothing to do with public health. It's main purpose is to close down coal-fired electricity generating plants. It's all about global warming or climate change or whatever claptrap is the mot du jour of the radical environmental movement. Obama the candidate warned that his anti-coal agenda would necessarily cause electric rates to sky rocket. That's one promise he's delivering on.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:12 AM

78,331 posts, read 60,527,398 times
FYI- Companies have a 3-4 year window of implementation.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:25 PM

87 posts, read 87,179 times
Talking Oh let me add, possible connection

Hello again Versatile and all.

Not only is the westerlies blowing coal soot and mercury over to Europe from America but it could account for the massive low birth rates compared to other continents in the world such as Asia and Africa.

Mercury affects fertility.

Link: Mercury's Influence

I want to make a correction in terms of time or years.

Coal use in the US according to this link below started in 1748 so it is really 264 years and not 500 years.

Link:
NETL: History of U.S. Coal Use

Somebody should have caught that and shut me down.

Versatile you open up a fine line of cause and effect.

Europe's low birth rate in part maybe due to United States dependence on coal power plants pumping out dirt(soot) mixed with mercury causing the European man and woman to not have any children these days.

Mercury affects sexual desire or gratification.

The European man and woman now have a right to be angry at the politically active and biased American whose forefathers set the grounds for destroying the European man and woman from having healthy children in this one Earth.

The European man and woman should be pissed off at our neighbor Canada too because they learned from the best that is US.

Versatile, I want to say thanks my fine friend, you sure do know how to celebrate.

Remember the band Kool & The Gang song - Celebration

Kool & The Gang - Celebration - YouTube

Finally the European man and woman is happy that President Obama and his administration finally turned the tables on Americans and maybe the real reason he is very popular in Europe and not America.

That's my concluding thoughts on this matter.

Last edited by Pup Eli; 01-04-2012 at 02:33 PM.. Reason: Oh my here a little there a little adds up BIG

Old 01-04-2012, 02:30 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times
Quote:

I see that you haven't seen the drill for dispensing with broken light bulbs of the sort going into legal forced use these days. What is the reason for all this. Mercury, of course.

What you are beating the drum for is Obama's promised breaking of the coal companies. Yep, EPA is helping him keep a promise. Wait till you see your resulting electric bill.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
Don't be so naive. This regulation has little to nothing to do with public health. It's main purpose is to close down coal-fired electricity generating plants. It's all about global warming or climate change or whatever claptrap is the mot du jour of the radical environmental movement. Obama the candidate warned that his anti-coal agenda would necessarily cause electric rates to sky rocket. That's one promise he's delivering on.
I love to see people jam that part of this deal in their eyes. Of course, until the coming electric bills come out they won't realize what you told him.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pup Eli View Post
Hello again Versatile and all.

Not only is the westerlies blowing coal soot and mercury over to Europe from America but it could account for the massive low birth rates compared to other continents in the world such as Asia and Africa.

Mercury affects fertility.

Link: Mercury's Influence

I want to make a correction in terms of time or years.

Coal use in the US according to this link below started in 1748 so it is really 264 years and not 500 years.

Link:
NETL: History of U.S. Coal Use

Somebody should have caught that and shut me down.

Versatile you open up a fine line of cause and effect.

Europe's low birth rate in part maybe due to United States dependence on coal power plants pumping out dirt(soot) mixed with mercury causing the European man and woman to not have any children these days.

Mercury affects sexual desire or gratification.

The European man and woman now have a right to be angry at the politically active and biased American whose forefathers set the grounds for destroying the European man and woman from having healthy children in this one Earth.

The European man and woman should be pissed off at our neighbor Canada too because they learned from the best that is US.

Versatile, I want to say thanks my fine friend, you sure do know how to celebrate.

Remember the band Kool & The Gang song - Celebration

Kool & The Gang - Celebration - YouTube

Finally the European man and woman is happy that President Obama and his administration finally turned the tables on Americans and maybe the real reason he is very popular in Europe and not America.

That's my concluding thoughts on this matter.
Will Obama be trying to allow those Europeans to vote in our next election just in case he can't sway Americans again? Lets watch him very closely up to election time to see just what all he might try to do.

BTW, have you failed to see the suggested method of getting rid of the new light bulbs that have been mandated that we use over the incandescent ones we have used all this time. There is too much mercury in them for just anybody to dispense with them. Mercury is the topic of this thread, isn't it?

Old 01-04-2012, 02:45 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,232,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I see that you haven't seen the drill for dispensing with broken light bulbs of the sort going into legal forced use these days. What is the reason for all this. Mercury, of course.

What you are beating the drum for is Obama's promised breaking of the coal companies. Yep, EPA is helping him keep a promise. Wait till you see your resulting electric bill.
I am not beating the drum for anyone or anything. I just started the thread out of interest only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies