Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did you choose your sexual orientation?
I chose to be gay 3 2.03%
I did not choose to be gay 30 20.27%
I chose to be lesbian 3 2.03%
I did not choose to be lesbian 4 2.70%
I chose to be bi-sexual 1 0.68%
I did not choose to be bi-sexual 6 4.05%
I chose to be heterosexual 27 18.24%
I did not choose to be heterosexual 78 52.70%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 01:18 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,827,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
It's genetic selection. And all humans have melanocytes. So it's natural. And it's normal.

Albinos don't have theirs activated at all. So they're the ones who are not the norm.

And you can't choose to activate or not activate your melanocytes. You can destroy them like Michael Jackson did with the skin lightening cream so I guess you can make a choice to have pigment or not.
Now apply that to this thread. What can you come up with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 01:31 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,458,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Now apply that to this thread. What can you come up with?
Enzymes are associated with activating melanocytes. Those enzymes are gene specific.

When science identifies the gene specific to activating homo or heterosexuality let me know.

Old 01-09-2012, 01:42 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,734,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Homosexuality seems to be a club of exclusivity.

Why do some of you deem it almost impossible for someone formally straight to become gay? Why do you surmise that they must have been gay to begin with? Even in the face of examples you say "Well, they can't be right. They were gay to begin with". Even when you hear evidence to the contrary.

Are you saying that the formally straight people don't know their own minds? What makes you all the authority and voice for all gay people? Admitting that being gay is sometimes a choice does not negate your reality if you were born that way.

And I will state again, a "gay" man that marries a woman, procreates and continues to have sex with her for years is not "giving into societal pressure". He's bisexual; otherwise he wouldn't be able to achieve an erection to even get those children. And I doubt if all the wives in these circumstances are giving forced BJs to spark their husband's sexual interest.

In a heterosexual society that does not grant homosexuals equality there will be those who try to be like the majority. The reasons could vary. Some examples may be living in a very backwards part of the country, or having a very ignorant family, possibly the fear of being disowned, or even disinherited. It is not easy to live in a society that discriminates against you. No one would make this a choice.

Old 01-09-2012, 01:44 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,105,768 times
Quote:
Enzymes are associated with activating melanocytes. Those enzymes are gene specific.

When science identifies the gene specific to activating homo or heterosexuality let me know.
Here's something interesting to ponder. About 8% of all men have a counterclockwise hair whorl. However, nearly 25% of gay men have a counterclockwise hair whorl (it gets even more interesting when you look at left-handedness, hair whorls, and homosexuality).

Any theories as to why this is the case?

Old 01-09-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Here's something interesting to ponder. About 8% of all men have a counterclockwise hair whorl. However, nearly 25% of gay men have a counterclockwise hair whorl (it gets even more interesting when you look at left-handedness, hair whorls, and homosexuality).

Any theories as to why this is the case?
But 75% don't have the whorl in that direction. That's a majority.

How about the gay men with a horizontal or vertical hair whorl?

How about those who have none?

How many are Pisces? How many are Libras? How many were born on a Tuesday?

Old 01-09-2012, 01:48 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,827,269 times
Quote:

And until genes are identified, you'd rather believe it to be a choice... as if you've been through that phase at some point. Right? BTW, do you think you need a change of genes to have your skin color change? Or, is that a choice too?

Old 01-09-2012, 01:52 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,046,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
so you are saying you have NEVER made a choice in your like

dont you CHOOSE if you prefer chocolate or vanilla???or do oyu NOT have that choice

all humans have their pros/cons....a female might CHOOSE to be with a female, because she doesnt understand males (or they dont understand her) (thats why a book called men are from mars came out) your CHOICE or PREFERANCE is based on your MENTALITY..a NEUROLOGICAL decision..

its one way or the other..either you CHOOSE..or it is a neurological mis-wiring (a disorder..like aspergers)
I don't choose my attractions (which, attraction dictates orientation), I only choose my relations.

Old 01-09-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
And until genes are identified, you'd rather believe it to be a choice... as if you've been through that phase at some point. Right? BTW, do you think you need a change of genes to have your skin color change? Or, is that a choice too?
Michael Jackson made a choice to change his skin color and to change his color, the change wasn't necessary at a genetic level. That was a deliberate choice.

In case you hadn't noticed I didn't weigh in on the poll because I have no idea if it's a choice, nor do I have any idea if it's not a choice.

I am what I am and I really haven't given it any deep thought. I do know that when I was 3 years old I became aware of the opposite sex. I had an attraction to my Father's good male friend Oliver.

And I directly and deliberately knew that he was the guy for me, and I made a pass at him (and was teased for it forever) when I told him I wanted to take him "under" the bed and kiss him. Oddly enough as a 3 year older I knew that in order for me to kiss him it had to be done privately and something like that was vaguely sexual because a bed was involved as well. Precocious 3 year older.

So I have known I was attracted to men since I was 3 years old. I will also add that when Oliver got married I was around 5 years old, I was intensely jealous of his wife.

I cannot say I ever had the same attraction to any female friends of my mother's. They were all like second mom's to me and that's how I saw them all.

Old 01-09-2012, 01:58 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,105,768 times
Quote:
In case you hadn't noticed I didn't weigh in on the poll because I have no idea if it's a choice, nor do I have any idea if it's not a choice.

I am what I am and I really haven't given it any deep thought. I do know that when I was 3 years old I became aware of the opposite sex. I had an attraction to my Father's good male friend Oliver.

And I directly and deliberately knew that he was the guy for me, and I made a pass at him (and was teased for it forever) when I told him I wanted to take him "under" the bed and kiss him. Oddly enough as a 3 year older I knew that in order for me to kiss him it had to be done privately and something like that was vaguely sexual because a bed was involved as well. Precocious 3 year older.

So I have known I was attracted to men since I was 3 years old.

I cannot say I ever had the same attraction to any female friends of my mother's. They were all like second mom's to me and that's how I saw them all.
It seems to me you have pretty good first hand knowledge that your sexual orientation was not a conscious, deliberate choice you made.

Old 01-09-2012, 01:59 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times
Quote:
But 75% don't have the whorl in that direction. That's a majority.

How about the gay men with a horizontal or vertical hair whorl?

How about those who have none?

How many are Pisces? How many are Libras? How many were born on a Tuesday?
Missing the point, as usual... point being, there are MORE gay men with the counterclockwise whorl, which implies (without personally knowing the supporting evidence) there are genetic differences between straight & gay men. Doesn't matter what the majority has, it only matters that the percentages are noticeably different between heterosexual vs homosexual men. Got it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies