Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 12:53 PM

46,263 posts, read 27,085,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Ok, lets look at common sense, after you build a pipeline through a country what is left for the construction of the pipeline to do next? If it needs constant repairs that means that it is not safe and should not be built in the first place.
It still has to be maintained...right?

Even the Alaska piple line 30 + years later still employees people....

Quote:
Alyeska Pipeline Service Company is responsible for the design, construction, operation and maintenance of the pipeline. The company employs more than 2,000 people in Alaska, including Alyeska workers and sub-contractors. In 1997, Alyeska's main offices split into three business units, one of which is located in South Fairbanks. About 300 employees moved to Fairbanks from Anchorage as Alyeska made a move to position more of its workers closer to the pipeline.

Quote:
So what permenent jobs are left? Since you want to go there ok, I will bite. There are people in Nebraska that do'nt want this thing going through their state because of the soft rock and the potential for it to pollute the water. The pipeline would go through this country and the oil would be shipped somewhere else, so how does benefit the U.S. I was wrong it would provide more jobs......To the people like Boner who would make millions and can afford to hire some cheaper labor for the upkeep of his property..
This post above just shows you have no clue what you are talking about....

[SIZE=3]Keystone XL: How many jobs would it create?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Obama Rejects Keystone XL Pipeline | Politics | The Earth [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Times[/SIZE]
Here I will even use a rightwing site:Obama Kills Keystone Pipeline and Thousands of Jobs - Big ...
Quote:
Now mind you NONE of these said anything about long term employment. So after the pipeline is built these workers will be on unemployment again and still will need medical ect. But wait! there is a rainbow at the end. They can be used to clean up the mess when the pipeline breaks and pollutes the water supply and the surrouding land
Of course, I'm sure leaks will happen, but with the new technology...it wil continue to get better and better...

Why cannot you just admit, you just don't want jobs....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 01:52 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,317,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
It still has to be maintained...right?

Even the Alaska piple line 30 + years later still employees people....

This post above just shows you have no clue what you are talking about....

[SIZE=3]Keystone XL: How many jobs would it create?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Obama Rejects Keystone XL Pipeline | Politics | The Earth [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Times[/SIZE]
Here I will even use a rightwing site:Obama Kills Keystone Pipeline and Thousands of Jobs - Big ...

Of course, I'm sure leaks will happen, but with the new technology...it wil continue to get better and better...

Why cannot you just admit, you just don't want jobs....

You cannot compare the Alaskan pipeline to the one that they want to do now. For one the workers in Alaska do not just have a pipeline going through their state they have drilling and refineries and everything that goes along with them, not just a pipeline. As I said before the rich investors will be the only ones making any money from this thing anyway. The "workers" will make some short term money and then be back on unemployment. Please tell what long term jobs will come from this? Especially in the states that the pipeline just goes through it?

Old 01-20-2012, 02:37 PM

Quote:
You cannot compare the Alaskan pipeline to the one that they want to do now. For one the workers in Alaska do not just have a pipeline going through their state they have drilling and refineries and everything that goes along with them, not just a pipeline. As I said before the rich investors will be the only ones making any money from this thing anyway. The "workers" will make some short term money and then be back on unemployment. Please tell what long term jobs will come from this? Especially in the states that the pipeline just goes through it?
There will be pumping stations, people to monitor the flow, at each ends, just like the Alaska pipe line, there will be people that visually check the pipeline, daily.......and that's just off the top of my head.....who knows what other jobs will be permanent...

Are you saying these jobs won't happen? That this pipeline is going to be totally unmanned....nobody watching it? Who's going to pump the oil at the other end for wherever it goes?

I guess these things will just automatically happen....

Old 01-20-2012, 09:00 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,682,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
it was the 6th consecutive month that jobs were added to our economy. growth in manufacturing-25,000. transportation and warehousing up 50 thousand. almost 25 thousand in hospitality. 200 thousand plus in the food industry over the last year. temp xmas jobs my arse. you have a mouth full of sour grapes.
Oh, so then you liberals won't mind if we start cutting welfare benefits??? So basically what you are saying is that those millions of people who are living in tents can now go home?? Or that little boy and girl living in a car with mom and dad don't need to anymore? Or those 99ers who commited suicide because they lost hope of ever finding work died for no reason?

Old 01-21-2012, 07:37 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,483,261 times
Here's a question I have: why not just look at the previous pipeline, Keystone I, that was put through a few years ago and ask yourselves:
why you allowed it then,
what kind of revenues did it generate through it's construction,
what kind of sustained income is it generating now,
are the people of Nebraska clamouring to have the thing removed,
are those investors you're talking about paying taxes to your IRS,

If you're not satisfied with the answers to any of the above, simply lobby to have the thing removed and do business with Mexico instead. You seem to prefer them to Canadians anyway.

Old 01-21-2012, 09:34 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,141,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Here's a question I have: why not just look at the previous pipeline, Keystone I, that was put through a few years ago and ask yourselves:
why you allowed it then,
what kind of revenues did it generate through it's construction,
what kind of sustained income is it generating now,
are the people of Nebraska clamouring to have the thing removed,
are those investors you're talking about paying taxes to your IRS,

If you're not satisfied with the answers to any of the above, simply lobby to have the thing removed and do business with Mexico instead. You seem to prefer them to Canadians anyway.
+1
I can tell you from personal experience.. when the original Keystone line went through NE how to answer a couple of those things....

The revenue it generated was tremendous. It was said that we put over 1M a day into the local economy of the town that we stayed in during construction.

The tax revenue just from state income tax had to be tremendous as well. While working in NE, we obviously had NE tax withheld. When I did my state tax forms that year, even though I was a non-NE resident, the state kept damn near every penny we paid in. They even made money on my income that wasn't generated in NE that year! And... during the 6 months we were there we of course paid sales tax. Believe me.. that state of NE benefited and sure weren't griping then about it....

Old 01-23-2012, 09:03 AM

Quote:
There will be pumping stations, people to monitor the flow, at each ends, just like the Alaska pipe line, there will be people that visually check the pipeline, daily.......and that's just off the top of my head.....who knows what other jobs will be permanent...

Are you saying these jobs won't happen? That this pipeline is going to be totally unmanned....nobody watching it? Who's going to pump the oil at the other end for wherever it goes?

I guess these things will just automatically happen....
It is not going to generate the amount of jobs verses the environmental risk. Boner has already been exposed, for his investment in this farce, so anything that he says regarding this matter is strictly in his own best interest.

The number of jobs is definitely questionable, but there is no denying that the majority of them are tempoary

Why is it that politician say "it will create jobs" and the average misinformed American will jump at it, not realizing unless that politicians won't move unless their hands are getting "greased" This is no different, it has been debated across the board and the consensus is that Boner lied about the number of jobs to boost his case.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:20 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,141,538 times
Quote:
The number of jobs is definitely questionable, but there is no denying that the majority of them are tempoary

Why is it that "temporary" jobs are so bad? I'm not talking about the pipeline specifically, but...

Are we bad people because we have temporary jobs?

Construction workers are temporary till the next job
scientists are temporary till the next discovery
plumbers are temporary till the next clog
actors are temporary till the next movie
politicians are temporary till the next election....

Old 01-23-2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:
It is not going to generate the amount of jobs verses the environmental risk. Boner has already been exposed, for his investment in this farce, so anything that he says regarding this matter is strictly in his own best interest.

Why is it that politician say "it will create jobs" and the average misinformed American will jump at it, not realizing unless that politicians won't move unless their hands are getting "greased" This is no different, it has been debated across the board and the consensus is that Boner lied about the number of jobs to boost his case.
So, only a few jobs...and you're against that....and even then short term jobs are...guess what...JOBS.....questionable or not...it WILL create at least 1 permenant job....right....

The risk...the risk has been determined by the other pipe lines...and how can you say that it will harm the enviroment? Will there be spills? You have that magic ball again?

Yes, everyone here knows about greasing the hands of the people in Washingtion.....what's amazing is the only person you continue to talk about is Bohner....

Quote:
This is no different, it has been debated across the board and the consensus is that Boner lied about the number of jobs to boost his case.
Link for this?

Old 01-24-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
So, only a few jobs...and you're against that....and even then short term jobs are...guess what...JOBS.....questionable or not...it WILL create at least 1 permenant job....right....

Short term jobs put people back on unemployment, which is something republicans and others feel that lazy people are on and does not solve the employment issue in the long run

The risk...the risk has been determined by the other pipe lines...and how can you say that it will harm the enviroment? Will there be spills? You have that magic ball again?

Other pipelines do not sit on a questionable soil and tell me what other pipeline would run from one country through the heartland of the U.S? There is really no comparision.

Better yet why don't they just ask the enviromentalist and the people of those states that it suppose to go through.

Yes, everyone here knows about greasing the hands of the people in Washingtion.....what's amazing is the only person you continue to talk about is Bohner....

Huh, because he would profit from it (if it goes through) which in actuality is really insider trading something you or I would go to jail for.

Link for this?
Keystone example of why we need to be asking questions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies