Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 02:20 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times

Advertisements

Evidently advising users to avoid high crime areas is racist.

Microsoft App To Guide Users Away From High-Crime Areas Proves Controversial « CBS Dallas / Fort Worth
Quote:
The as-of-yet unnamed product is being referred to as the “Avoid The Ghetto” app by those who are concerned with where it will guide users.
“I’m going to be up in arms about it if it happens,” said Dallas NAACP President Juanita Wallace.
Wallace spent her afternoon at a rally on Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. and said she felt safe there, but fears the app may project otherwise.
“Can you imagine me not being able to go to MLK Blvd. because my GPS says that’s a dangerous crime area? I can’t even imagine that,” she said.
Sounds like the Chris Rock jokes about how all the MLK Aves, Blvds etc. are in the hood.

Quote:
“It’s almost like gerrymandering,” she said. “It’s stereotyping for sure and without a doubt; I can’t emphasize enough, it’s discriminatory.”

Michael McNally, who was visiting Dallas Tuesday, said an app shouldn’t have enough power to label a community.
“It may have a high crime problem but have some great cultural, social things you can do there,” McNally said.
Who knew there were cultural things to do in high crime areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 02:22 PM

3,498 posts, read 2,218,751 times
I don't need an application to tell me to avoid bad neighborhoods. YOu can spot them pretty quickly

Old 01-18-2012, 02:26 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
I don't take women named "Juanita" seriously.

Old 01-18-2012, 02:26 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,587,033 times
Quote:
“Can you imagine me not being able to go to MLK Blvd. because my GPS says that’s a dangerous crime area? I can’t even imagine that,” she said.
I wasn't aware that GPS forbade a person from going to the ghetto. Man, that must be one powerful unit they've got in their cars. Mine never forces me to do anything. What's it do? Say "Turn left. If you don't, I'm going to put a bullet in your head".

Old 01-18-2012, 02:30 PM

799 posts, read 1,445,420 times
Saying that high crime areas have anything to do with race sounds racist to me. I've had way more guns pulled on me by white people (8 or 9) than black people (once). The NAACP needs to stop making racist assumptions that areas dominated by black people are the only high crime areas.

Old 01-18-2012, 02:31 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Who knew there were cultural things to do in high crime areas?

Spoken like a guy who's never set foot in a downtown Museum, Symphony Hall, or Cultural Center in his life.

Culture to him is starting race baiting threads ...whining about how oppressed he his by minorities.
LOL I live in DC the Smithsonian is not in the "hood" and I have been to most if not all of the Musuems.

I've even been to Frederick Douglass's House, now his home is in the "hood". It has a killer view of the city though. He didn't do too bad for an ex-slave maybe a lesson can be learned from his life for those like you who blame all of the ills that befall Blacks on racism.

Old 01-18-2012, 02:33 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,211,477 times
Typical NAACP thuggery. I highly approve of any app that makes me avoid the ghetto when on the road.

Old 01-18-2012, 02:33 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,949,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majordomo View Post
Saying that high crime areas have anything to do with race sounds racist to me. I've had way more guns pulled on me by white people (8 or 9) than black people (once). The NAACP needs to stop making racist assumptions that areas dominated by black people are the only high crime areas.

Sheesh...you've had guns pulled on you 10 or 11 times. How does that happen. I've managed to make it thirty something years without this happening.

As for the app, it should stick to giving directions and allow the driver to decide whether or not he/she wants to go through certain areas or not.

Old 01-18-2012, 02:34 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,862,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
As for the app, it should stick to giving directions and allow the driver to decide whether or not he/she wants to go through certain areas or not.
The app should do whatever the hell the user wants the app to do.

Old 01-18-2012, 02:35 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 28 days ago)

27,647 posts, read 16,138,284 times
I got off the interstate in Dallas and a few other bigger cities unknowingly in bad neigborhoods. I am glad to be here to report this. Ignorance can get you in trouble with animals and man as I also caught a watermoccasin and nearly hooked an aligator, pay attention to your surroundings and plan ahead. I almost learned the hard way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies