Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does an entertainers political views sway your decision to listen or watch their work
yes 35 25.18%
no 62 44.60%
depends, sometimes 44 31.65%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 01:22 AM

14,767 posts, read 17,114,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a Bill View Post
Hollywood people should shut-up and quit abusing their position unless they are conservatives and agree with my radical right-wing agenda.

Oh Ronnie, we hardly knew ye!
Haha. I don't mind if they voice their opinion. As long as they don't confuse themselves and think their opinion holds more weight just because they're famous.
it can show that they're not too detached from reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 01:41 AM

779 posts, read 537,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
Haha. I don't mind if they voice their opinion. As long as they don't confuse themselves and think their opinion holds more weight just because they're famous.
it can show that they're not too detached from reality.
Are we to be surprised if they are detached (and we know that some of them are).

The problem arises when people simultaneously "disregard" Hollywood opinion while calling attention to it.

That's all sorts of stupid, in my book.

Old 02-11-2012, 04:05 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,080,865 times
Normally no it does not,but in the case of extremism,yes it does.

Chickenhawk Charlie Daniels for example...I used to listen to his music,but after he came out as an extremist RWNJ POS and just kept hammering on it nonstop I couldn't stand to listen to him any longer...plus I do not want to add a single red cent to his pocket.

Old 02-11-2012, 04:32 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
After really enjoying the Movie Avatar i offered to take my brother to see it,i was quite surprized when he vehemently trashed the movie and wanted nothing to do with it because evidently the director James Cameron was an extreme Liberal and the movie was nothing but an attempt to sway peoples political opinions to his way of thinking Well OK then i'll take that as a no.
Similar scenario re arose last month when Dad rented a movie for us all to watch,it was called Shutter Island with Leonard DeCaprio as the star, Well Bro went off again chastising Dad for having the nerve to try to make us watch this obviously liberal movie with that damn super liberal DeCaprio really? its just a movie bro, evidently watching it is going to brainwash me somehow,i dont get it..
Is this way of bro's thinking healthy? And does this represent the way extreme righties think after a long term cerebral diet of Limbaugh, Beck and Fox personalities as thats about all the bro listens to or watches.
Its unfortunate that me and the bro have grown apart over the years ( the last 3yrs to be exact) as its getting hard to converse with the guy as no matter what the topic he always brings his rightwing political spin on everything.

Old 02-11-2012, 04:43 AM

521 posts, read 467,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
After really enjoying the Movie Avatar i offered to take my brother to see it,i was quite surprized when he vehemently trashed the movie and wanted nothing to do with it because evidently the director James Cameron was an extreme Liberal and the movie was nothing but an attempt to sway peoples political opinions to his way of thinking Well OK then i'll take that as a no.
Similar scenario re arose last month when Dad rented a movie for us all to watch,it was called Shutter Island with Leonard DeCaprio as the star, Well Bro went off again chastising Dad for having the nerve to try to make us watch this obviously liberal movie with that damn super liberal DeCaprio really? its just a movie bro, evidently watching it is going to brainwash me somehow,i dont get it..
Is this way of bro's thinking healthy? And does this represent the way extreme righties think after a long term cerebral diet of Limbaugh, Beck and Fox personalities as thats about all the bro listens to or watches.
Its unfortunate that me and the bro have grown apart over the years ( the last 3yrs to be exact) as its getting hard to converse with the guy as no matter what the topic he always brings his rightwing political spin on everything.
Your brother is correct. James Cameron and Leonardo DeCraprio are left-wing lunatics and I would never pay money to see any of their films again after finding out what they really are.

George Clooney, Michael Douglas, Sharon Stone, Michael Keaton, Tom Hanks, Steven Spielberg, Alec Baldwin, Seth MacFarlane ( creator of Family Guy) should be on FBI terrorist watch lists.

Old 02-11-2012, 05:34 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Only if their work reflects their political views. You know if some political bigmouth artist paints seascapes, I can enjoy their art. If some political bigmouth actor keeps pushing his agenda in his movies, that's a different story.

I find the less I know about them, the more I can like them.

Old 02-11-2012, 05:42 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,080,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Only if their work reflects their political views. You know if some political bigmouth artist paints seascapes, I can enjoy their art. If some political bigmouth actor keeps pushing his agenda in his movies, that's a different story.

I find the less I know about them, the more I can like them.
I agree.

Old 02-11-2012, 08:10 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a Bill View Post
q.e.d.
are you into morse code??

Old 02-11-2012, 08:14 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,732,835 times
It is nothing more than an interesting tidbit to know about the person. I'm listening to a song or watching a movie -- not voting for them in an election. One has nothing to do with the other.

Old 02-11-2012, 08:24 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
Normally no it does not,but in the case of extremism,yes it does.

Chickenhawk Charlie Daniels for example...I used to listen to his music,but after he came out as an extremist RWNJ POS and just kept hammering on it nonstop I couldn't stand to listen to him any longer...plus I do not want to add a single red cent to his pocket.
That's okay plenty of us are adding to his pocket!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies