Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 03:15 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Why wait? Elaborate now. Using credit to your advantage is not stupid. My credit card pays me. Who is stupid now?
I guess then you can't do without credit card, and being a slave to debt over cash is greatness. Not in my opinion though. Sure, I get chump change for "reward points". I'm sure people were simply irresponsible before the advent of credit cards and credit history, and could not be trusted today.

BTW, I'm stupid for even trying to ask whether you prefer credit card over cash.

Going to the promised elaboration, clearly you never planned on paying cash for health care when you proposed the idea of cash over insurance. You planned on taking on debt. And to think you all complain about this nation taking on debt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 03:17 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,139,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Misleading thread title. It should read "should employers". The answer is yes. It foretells behavior and responsibility. It is a tool for risk assessment.
LLMOG, I'm agreeing with you probably for the first time!!

Having late debt is probably the greatest indicator of being willing to compromise. People who can't or are just barely paying their bills can be bought off by anyone from terrorists, to spys, to vendors, to job applicants.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:20 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,931,272 times
No. I know several people who had their credit ruined because they lost their job and couldn't pay all of their bills in full. How are they supposed to get a job to pay their bills if their credit was ruined from circumstances out of their control? It's not like they don't want to pay their bills. It puts them in a catch 22.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:22 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
No. I know several people who had their credit ruined because they lost their job and couldn't pay all of their bills in full. How are they supposed to get a job to pay their bills if their credit was ruined from circumstances out of their control? It's not like they don't want to pay their bills. It puts them in a catch 22.
Its only a matter of time... "Shay's Rebellion".

Old 01-20-2012, 03:22 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,065,647 times
I am fine with this practice. First of all, it gets me a reduced rate. Secondly, while there are anomalies - illness, loss of job - that can cause one to run off the high credit score road so to speak. However, for most people who are solid citizens, a lowered or low credit score is temporary, and can be repaired.

There is a very strong correlation to credit scores and claim likelihood.
Quote:
Insurance companies also use your credit report to aid in determining your insurance rates. Those with poor credit pay more for insurance.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:27 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,065,647 times
Your statement is incorrect in its basis. You are entitled to one credit score, per year, from each of the three credit reporting agencies. It is a 5 minute hoop to jump through on the internet to get each one in rotation, every six months. By rotating, one is never far off current credit status.

And it is unusual for there to be much variation among the three. Argument knocked down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Sorry, but that doesn't match reality in the slightest.

For one thing many people simply don't know their credit score. You can jump though some hoops and get one free report per year, and that may be well out of date when you apply.

More to the point, in my experience, HR departments will do anything to match applicants to openings, apart from reading applications and understanding job requirements. They're not going to read an explanatory note unless absolutely forced to.

In jobs where good economic sense count for something, a good credit score should be an asset. That is all.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:35 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
And what happens when you have a low score due to not having debt ?
Lots of assets but little to no debt (just a CC that gets paid off each month) ?

Old 01-20-2012, 03:35 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Why wait? Elaborate now. Using credit to your advantage is not stupid. My credit card pays me. Who is stupid now?
I'm always amazed at the number of people who use credit as an expense, rather than income. For exmaple, I use my credit to do things like get free gas. I got around $1850 in fre gas last year using credit, thats a big savings out of my pocket.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:36 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,774,235 times
"....whose now-resolved drug addiction..." ????? !!!!!

Simply being the sort of person who ACQUIRES a drug addiction makes one a less than desirable employee, IMHO. For some employers (I have an uncle in the Plastics Industry who ADORES druggies and reformed druggies, because they will take the dangerous jobs) being a former addict does not matter. For other, it DOES matter (what happens when the Addict slips, and begins to 'mis-handle' sensitive information, or 'misplaces' larges sums of money?). Plus, becoming addicted tends to correlate highly with lacking a capacity for critical analysis. Sometimes that matters: sometimes not.

As for the Credit Reports, I would agree that they should be irrelevant: EXCEPT that they are one of the few remaining checks that are legal for employers to do. We SHOULD be able to administer IQ tests....or any tests we damn-well please. But we cannot. It's getting harder and harder to screen out the incompetent, the dishonest, and the potentially problematic.

The fact that it is so difficult, now, in America, to screen out the bad apples, is one reason MANY OF US HAVE MOVED OUR BUSINESSES TO OTHER COUNTRIES.

Every new "you can't" stumbling block placed in the way of American business results in thousands (or hundreds of thousands) of American jobs being moved overseas, or lost to overseas competitors.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:39 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,328,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I guess then you can't do without credit card, and being a slave to debt over cash is greatness. Not in my opinion though. Sure, I get chump change for "reward points". I'm sure people were simply irresponsible before the advent of credit cards and credit history, and could not be trusted today.

BTW, I'm stupid for even trying to ask whether you prefer credit card over cash.

Going to the promised elaboration, clearly you never planned on paying cash for health care when you proposed the idea of cash over insurance. You planned on taking on debt. And to think you all complain about this nation taking on debt.
The bolded is the only factual part of your post. I'm not a slave to debt. Maybe you get chump change, but I get well in excess of $1000 per year for simply using my card. I pay it off monthly. Other than a very small mortgage, I am debt free. No slavery here. Perhaps if you thought outside the box, you would understand the world of finance a little better. There is such a thing as using credit to your advantage and using credit to live beyond your means. Do you even understand the difference? It doesn't appear that you do. The federal government lives well beyond its means, and whether it is an individual or a government, I think that is stupid. Credit allows them to do that, but that doesn't mean I hate credit. I just hate the way some choose to abuse it.

When did I ever advocate the idea of cash over insurance? I said, I prefer a HDHP coupled with a tax advantaged Health Savings Account. I guess if you want to consider the money in the HSA as paying cash, then there is your answer. I think everyone should have catastrophic coverage/major medical. Using insurance for every bump and bruise is dumb and not what insurance was originally intended for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies