Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2012, 03:38 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,146,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I don't care that a private florist didn't want to make a delivery for whatever reason, it's the whole "she asked for it, now she's going to get it" attitude displayed here and IRL that's kind of frightning.
Be afraid. Be very afraid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 03:40 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieGal View Post

The florists were wrong to not deliver to the girl. If they were afraid to deliver based on some violent act, then they might have a leg to stand on. But that was apparently not the case. One of the florists said it might be bad for business to deliver to the girl. Not good enough. How about if a restaurant refuses to serve blacks based on the same premise? It's a violation of civil rights based on religion rather than ehtnicity.
No, being a private business, they have CHOICE whether to sell/service a customer.

That is their RIGHT and I hope they don't cave in.

Old 01-21-2012, 05:13 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
"Wherever there’s a case in the U.S. involving atheist activism, the Freedom From Religion Foundation (FFRF) is bound to get involved. While it was the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) that defended teen atheist Jessica Ahlquist in her successful quest to have a prayer mural removed from her Rhode Island public high school, the FFRF is also rushing to the young girl’s defense. Citing discrimination, the organization is filing a civil rights complaint after numerous florists refused to deliver flowers to the girl."

Atheists File Civil Rights Complaint Against Florist | Jessica Ahlquist & FFRF | Video | TheBlaze.com

Next thing you know, she'll be suing because nobody will play with her.

(They could just deliver her a bunch of wilted roses. )
There are extremists of many sorts...

...But smart people know they won't get soaked if they stay in the middle on the log ride.

Old 01-21-2012, 06:04 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,680 times
There are consequences for every decision we make. This young lady made a decision not to ignore this mural, but to get it removed.

The U.S. Constitution says nothing about separation of church and state, The First Amendment states that "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof."

It seems to me that having the mural removed violates law, not having the mural there.

This person forced the unlawful removal a mural offensive, only if you want to be offended by it. Ignore it, move on. She decided not to, took action, and now must suffer the consequences. If her class mates want no longer to be friends with her, if businesses wish to no longer deliver flowers to her, that's also a consequence of her actions.

Old 01-21-2012, 06:06 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
So are you saying she deserves to be harassed by so called "Christians"? Sure sounds like it.

Christians? What Christians? 98% of the so-called Christians in this country are nothing of the sort--including the ones on this thread who justify the threats and harassment this girl received. They are lying, stinking hypocrites. In fact, I'll bet that aside from these little culture war stunts, Jesus doesn't even cross their mind.

You people are sick and wouldn't know who Jesus was if he came down and spoke to you himself.
How do we know the attacks came from Christians. Cindy Sheehan protested against the war and it was the left that made her quit, by all the nasty things they were saying about her.

There was no mention, that Christians attacked this girl. You fail to remember, the left plays both sides, just to make things look worse.

So, should Christians just sit back and not fight for their right's for the banner to stay??? If she had the right to fight to take it down, Christian's have every right to fight, to keep it up.

Old 01-21-2012, 06:15 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,680 times
Quote:
So many people are weird. She did the right thing, but the unpopular thing, and now those who thought the prayer banner was a-ok (ie: christians, I assume) take the neener-neener approach. This is EXACTLY the kind the prayer banner stood for....conform with us OR ELSE. Put up with us OR ELSE. Never say anything against us OR ELSE. And why religion as a whole is such a dangerous thing. There is a place for religion, and it's not in a school where only some people apprecitate it. Why the mental block christians? You know this wouldn't have happened if people (not just her) were not sick to death of it.
What makes it, 'the right thing'?

Old 01-21-2012, 06:25 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Common Anomaly View Post
Not if you serve the public. We have moved past the separate, but equal phase in our society. It is time for you to catch up. It is 2012, not the 1950's.

As the federal court ruled, it was unconstitutional and it needed to removed or altered. The school could have easily altered the school prayer, but choose not to.

As with the religiousness has shown over and over, it either their way or threats of violence, persecution, ostracizing, and harassment. Some of you need to learn a little something about tolerance.
I'm sure that you weren't accusing me of racism. I was merely pointing out a fact, that if someone in my town is acts as she did, I reserve the right to not serve her.

She is a pariah and deserves to be shunned.

I need to learn tolerance? What about the people who want any mention of God removed?

Old 01-21-2012, 06:52 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
Quote:
Probably nobody had the guts or cared enough to say anything. You have no idea about that. I can GUARENTEE there were non religious people throughout the years who silently rolled their eyes though.

It shouldn't be a national news item either, it didn't even need to go this far, but people can't help it can they? Now they get to have an enemy...a young girl...to blame for all that's wrong in the world. Nice.
Ooooo.....can't have people rolling their eyes.

Old 01-21-2012, 06:56 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
people have to understand that with rights and freedoms, come responsibilities and consequences. businesses have the right to refuse business to ANYONE at any time.

likewise the girl in question has the right to object to things that she finds offensive.

if a business refuses her service, they lose money as a consequence. if the girl objects openly about something that offends her, but perhaps does not offend others, she should expect to be shunned as a result. hopefully the courts will agree with the businesses and dismiss the lawsuit with prejudice.

Old 01-21-2012, 07:14 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,507,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
people have to understand that with rights and freedoms, come responsibilities and consequences. businesses have the right to refuse business to ANYONE at any time.

likewise the girl in question has the right to object to things that she finds offensive.

if a business refuses her service, they lose money as a consequence. if the girl objects openly about something that offends her, but perhaps does not offend others, she should expect to be shunned as a result. hopefully the courts will agree with the businesses and dismiss the lawsuit with prejudice.
I think the florists will win, but you go overboard by saying businesses have the right to refuse business to ANYONE at any time. Simply not true.

Shunning her is fine. Harassment and threats aren't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies