Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2012, 04:38 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,579,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Then non-believer's should do the same. Most money given to ACLU is paid for on the taxpayer's dime, some of those are Christians.

The Carpenter's Son also said "Take up the Cross and follow Me". Turn the other cheek, has nothing to do with a banner, that's hung there, since the 60's.

So , if you and other's have your way, we Christian's keep turning the- other-cheek, just enough times, you'll win..........not without, a fight

uh...

Sure it is.

While funding sources and amounts vary from chapter to chapter, roughly half comes from donations. Remaining funding consists of grants from other organizations, ACLU investments, and attorney fees, which are awarded when the ACLU wins a case. This last funding source has caused some controversy.

HowStuffWorks "ACLU Organization"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 05:58 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,885,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
You're several decades behind in knowledge of the law. Besides federal anti-discrimination law covering businesses open to the public, Rhode Island has its own law that makes it illegal to discriminate against a person because of their religion, among other things. The law covers places of public accommodation such as restaurants, theaters, public transportation, hotels, stores, gyms, hospitals, and any other establishment open to the public.

I don't think the florists violated the law.
if someone goes into a business, and creates problems with that business, that business HAS THE RIGHT to refuse business with that person. as i said, a business is NOT obligated to tell anyone why they are refusing a persons business.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:28 PM

344 posts, read 396,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
a business owner has the right to refuse service to anyone. you might want to read the laws to that effect someday. and if a business owner decides to refuse service, they DO NOT have to give a reason.

a business cannot refuse to hire a person based on the things you list above however, and that is where most people get confused.
Just to be clear... The Civil Right Act of 1964, Title II, Public Accommodations; All persons shall be entitled to the full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, and privileges, advantages, and accommodations of any place of public accommodation without discrimination or segregation on the ground of race, color, religion, or national origin.

Places of public accommodations include, but are not limited to restaurants, hotels, theaters, convention centers, retail stores, shopping malls, dry cleaners, laundromats, pharmacies, doctors' offices, hospitals, museums, libraries, parks, zoos, amusement parks, private schools, day care centers, health spa and bowling alleys.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:23 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,885,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieGal View Post
Just to be clear... The Civil Right Act of 1964, Title II, Public Accommodations; All persons shall be entitled to the full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, and privileges, advantages, and accommodations of any place of public accommodation without discrimination or segregation on the ground of race, color, religion, or national origin.

Places of public accommodations include, but are not limited to restaurants, hotels, theaters, convention centers, retail stores, shopping malls, dry cleaners, laundromats, pharmacies, doctors' offices, hospitals, museums, libraries, parks, zoos, amusement parks, private schools, day care centers, health spa and bowling alleys.
and yet if someone walks into a business and causes problems, the business owners/managers can tell them to leave and never come back. as i said, a business can REFUSE to do business with anyone they wish, and they DONT have to give a reason. you could walk into a business, and they can ask you to leave claiming that you are being disruptive.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:59 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,955,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
uh...

Sure it is.

While funding sources and amounts vary from chapter to chapter, roughly half comes from donations. Remaining funding consists of grants from other organizations, ACLU investments, and attorney fees, which are awarded when the ACLU wins a case. This last funding source has caused some controversy.

HowStuffWorks "ACLU Organization"
Nice link ACLU supporting ACLU

If it wasn't an issue way was a bill put forward to stop them...........Rep. Hostettler Introduces Bill to Stop ACLU Money Grab Against Taxpayers - Public Advocate of the United States, Eugene Delgaudio, President

ACLU - The American Taxpayer Party

You support, take down a Christian banner and then support put in....................anything as long as it's not Christian

ACLU Says it’s OK for Taxpayers’ Money to Fund Foot Baths for Muslims « Doctor Bulldog & Ronin

The University of Michigan-Dearborn’s plan to spend $25,000 on the footbaths was criticized on conservative blogs and radio shows this month.
Critics said using public money for the project would violate the First Amendment, which says governments can’t favor or subsidize religions.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:03 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,955,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
and yet if someone walks into a business and causes problems, the business owners/managers can tell them to leave and never come back. as i said, a business can REFUSE to do business with anyone they wish, and they DONT have to give a reason. you could walk into a business, and they can ask you to leave claiming that you are being disruptive.
I see signs, no shoes, no shirt, no service. People should be able to refuse service in their business, without any complaints.
Don't like it, go to the next place down the road. Which, will probably have the same sign.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:05 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,052,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Do other's, need it all removed, so they won't be tempted to one day believe.................. there's a God.
Sorry, but no.

Not all people supporting this brave person are athiest.

I believe in a God, and I fully support the idea that religion has no place whatsoever in any facet of our government, which includes public schools.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:05 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,150,110 times
If all I had to look forward to was a cold, dark hole 6 feet underground, i'd be a worthless heathen as well.

Welcome to Atheism...where nothing matters but making sure that the few short years here on Earth are free from personal responsibility or consequence, and where hurt feelings are criminal actions that require society to change its ways.

The only upside is that you fools get to rot in hell. Remember, it was your choice.....and you DID have a choice.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:06 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,690,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
It's a shame some people need to take out their personal insecurities on a school girl. She's just the face on this particular instance, she isn't the cause of anything.
...and if she were on a successful crusade against gays, and gay florist refused to deliver to her?

Old 01-23-2012, 10:19 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,796,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
"Wherever there’s a case in the U.S. involving atheist activism, the Freedom From Religion Foundation (FFRF) is bound to get involved. While it was the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) that defended teen atheist Jessica Ahlquist in her successful quest to have a prayer mural removed from her Rhode Island public high school, the FFRF is also rushing to the young girl’s defense. Citing discrimination, the organization is filing a civil rights complaint after numerous florists refused to deliver flowers to the girl."

Atheists File Civil Rights Complaint Against Florist | Jessica Ahlquist & FFRF | Video | TheBlaze.com

Next thing you know, she'll be suing because nobody will play with her.

(They could just deliver her a bunch of wilted roses. )
Wow. The blaze is that hard up for customers I must sign away my first born for the priviledge of reading their propaganda? No thanks.

Religion can't have it both ways. If they reserve the right to exploit free society but not contribute, or to refuse service to an atheist in a soup kitchen line or homeless shelter for failure to convert, atheists do have the right to universally reject them in free society. Seems to me God made atheists for good reason to kick fake 'c'hristians in their sanctimonious 'chosen child' behinds. Praise be to my maker. Pure genius!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies