Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 09:29 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,170,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
What NCLB has to do with it is that kids who fail are still being promoted because the schools lose money if they are retained.
So they get promoted and then put into additional remedial classes to help them catch up while still taking the grade level class.

I tutored math both at 6th grade and 8th grade and worked with students who failed their previous grade math state tests. In addition to their regular math class they had an additional math class (where I tutored) to help them catch up.

IMHO they should have been retained because you can't "catch up" and "get ahead" at the same time.
And these kids get to take the state test 3 times..3 times and they are still promoted (in Texas that is).

In arkansas we "tend" to fail them or march them off to special ed. However, there comes a point at which both options become fraught with problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 09:30 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Yes the Fed throws more money at it hoping it will improve but that's all the Fed can do.
Money is NOT the problem yet in our society we seem to think if you spend more it will fix everything.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:47 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,170,849 times
Quote:
Yes the Fed throws more money at it hoping it will improve but that's all the Fed can do.
Money is NOT the problem yet in our society we seem to think if you spend more it will fix everything.
I tend to think of federal money in terms of establishing control.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
I tend to think of federal money in terms of establishing control.

They did that already with all the $$$ they dangle to schools via their programs and schools just keep lowering that bar to get at that money.

The Fed does NOT have the golden touch. Any program the Fed gets involved in goes to hell in a hand basket.

Student loans was the latest endeavor the Fed got control of and just look at the mess we are now in with student loans.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:02 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
What NCLB has to do with it is that kids who fail are still being promoted because the schools lose money if they are retained.
So they get promoted and then put into additional remedial classes to help them catch up while still taking the grade level class.

I tutored math both at 6th grade and 8th grade and worked with students who failed their previous grade math state tests. In addition to their regular math class they had an additional math class (where I tutored) to help them catch up.

IMHO they should have been retained because you can't "catch up" and "get ahead" at the same time.
And these kids get to take the state test 3 times..3 times and they are still promoted (in Texas that is).
I agree with this. If a child cannot pass they should repeat and not proceed until they meet standards.

I agree with all the reasons in the OP, especially in regards to expectations. Many people do not expect black or Latino children to do well in school, not only their parents (most of whom in my experience do not even know what skills their children should have according to grade) but the teachers as well at many schools. Curriculums are dumbed down and in many of the predominately minority (black and latino) schools they are not taught the same material as other schools that are not majority black or latino. They are also less likely to have specialized curriculum like IB, Montessori, Waldorf and are less likely to be encouraged to take AP classes in high school. People think that they are dumb and treat them as such, not expecting too much out of them. Of whom much is expected, much is achieved.

I do not think it is about money. Money is not the answer, it is expectations and the materials. Also not allowing elementary students to be promoted when they have not obtained the necessary skills. These issues usually do not show up until middle school/high school because like PP said that is when children are left to do a lot of their work themselves. More is expected of them. When not much was expected of your previously, this will cause many students to feel that they are dumb and in return not expect much of themselves and just do enough to get by or befriend teachers and make them like them so that the teacher will pass them. This happens quite often.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I agree with this. If a child cannot pass they should repeat and not proceed until they meet standards.

I agree with all the reasons in the OP, especially in regards to expectations. Many people do not expect black or Latino children to do well in school, not only their parents (most of whom in my experience do not even know what skills their children should have according to grade) but the teachers as well at many schools. Curriculums are dumbed down and in many of the predominately minority (black and latino) schools they are not taught the same material as other schools that are not majority black or latino. They are also less likely to have specialized curriculum like IB, Montessori, Waldorf and are less likely to be encouraged to take AP classes in high school. People think that they are dumb and treat them as such, not expecting too much out of them. Of whom much is expected, much is achieved.

I do not think it is about money. Money is not the answer, it is expectations and the materials. Also not allowing elementary students to be promoted when they have not obtained the necessary skills. These issues usually do not show up until middle school/high school because like PP said that is when children are left to do a lot of their work themselves. More is expected of them. When not much was expected of your previously, this will cause many students to feel that they are dumb and in return not expect much of themselves and just do enough to get by or befriend teachers and make them like them so that the teacher will pass them. This happens quite often.
They have specialized curriculum only it's in the form of remedial reading, math and language arts. No way can you take AP Math or even Algebra when you don't know your times table or can't do long division.

There was an Algebra class at a middle school I tutored in and there were 8 students who had the grades to take that class..8 students out of 120 eighth graders had the grades/skill and the school did provide that class for them.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:49 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,995,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Another study that throws out a multitude of excuses without actually addressing the real problem.

Black, Latino Students Perform at Levels of 30 Years Ago
Proof that throwing money at the problem doesn't solve anything.

Must-read links-

What's Holding Black Students Back?

Everything You Know About Education Is Wrong

Black American students in an affluent suburb: a study of academic disengagement

Rich, Black, and Flunking
Cal Professor John Ogbu thinks he knows why rich black kids are failing in school. Nobody wants to hear it.

What's Holding Blacks Back?

Old 01-24-2012, 10:59 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,938,291 times
And this surprises anybody?

Why?

Old 01-24-2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
And this surprises anybody?

Why?
Because all along the cry was "give them more money" and "strive for equality in education".

Well NCLB did that, Title I funding did that and 10 years later we are in worse shape than before because now all our kids are dumbed down.

(US ranks #36 worldwide in math skills..on par with Latvia)
(SAT had to be recalibrated because the average score was going down)

Old 01-24-2012, 11:21 AM

4,367 posts, read 3,484,516 times
The reason there is a gap is because there is an unspoken assumption among progressives that blacks aren't intellectually up to par with whites and Asians. Its what George Bush referred to as "the soft-bigotry of low-expectations".

Truth is, blacks can compete academically with whites and Asians when the bar is raised and discipline and encouragement are given.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies