Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 08:08 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times

Advertisements

If they won't stay in a traditional school, they should be strongly encouraged to take work/study classes.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:10 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
In Texas one can drop out at 17.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:13 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,260,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
I haven't heard of any vocational schools that are a substitute for high school where I am from. Some may exist but I've never known any
Is your definition of a vocational school more like a 2 year "business school" (to train specifically for management jobs or executive assistant jobs or being a court stenographer) or a trade school, where one does need a HS education/GED? My husband's cousin's child just graduated from one of those - he's an apprentice welder. He didn't want to go to college because he knows he wasn't cut out for it after struggling academically through HS.

The vo-tech schools being referred to are actual high schools where students who either don't want to, or don't have the aptitude to attend a traditional HS can go instead- where a student really isn't expected to achieve too much more than minimum standards academically, but they can also take classes like cosmetology or something along those lines that will point them in the direction of a trade or a job by the time they graduate.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:35 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
The Vo-Tech school in my district is set up such that students attend 1/2 day in Vo-Tech classes and 1/2 day in "regular" HS. There is no way a student can learn any type of trade that requires more than a HS diploma until they have that HS diploma. I have posted links MANY times, especially on the Ed Forum with the requirements to become a certified electrician/plumber. These programs require four years of full-time study, including the apprenticeship. There is no way a HS student could do this and take HS courses as well.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:11 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,260,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The Vo-Tech school in my district is set up such that students attend 1/2 day in Vo-Tech classes and 1/2 day in "regular" HS. There is no way a student can learn any type of trade that requires more than a HS diploma until they have that HS diploma. I have posted links MANY times, especially on the Ed Forum with the requirements to become a certified electrician/plumber. These programs require four years of full-time study, including the apprenticeship. There is no way a HS student could do this and take HS courses as well.
Right. I guess that's the difference between a vocational school and a vo-tech or a technical HS. The latter two introduce kids to a field/trade/skill WHILE they are getting their HS credentials/diploma (some do it all under one roof, others do not) and the former necessitates one has a HS diploma first, and then one can apply/attend.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:19 PM

1,081 posts, read 916,241 times
I say let them go. If they don't want to be there, cut them loose. By the 9th grade, they're old enough to decide. All they're doing is wasting taxpayer $$$.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:28 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,306,483 times
I don't see anything that makes me disagree with it.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:37 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,120,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Common Anomaly View Post
Hmmm....googling "technical high school" shows that the Bay State dominates the search with single hits from MN, CA, CT, MI.

Perhaps, I was raised in abnormal culture compared to the rest of the states, regarding H.S.
I googled technical high schools in my state/city and the results showed a few standard high schools.

Can you enlighten me about a technical high school...is it four years/two years? What trades do they offer? Are students employed immediately after graduation?

Any student who hates learnings & chooses to drop out of high school wouldn't want to attend a technical high school or trade school anyway. They both require hard work and studying.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:41 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,120,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyBaaBaa View Post
I say let them go. If they don't want to be there, cut them loose. By the 9th grade, they're old enough to decide. All they're doing is wasting taxpayer $$$.
I am so sick of people bringing up their taxpaying money; you are never going to stop paying taxes. If its not going to education, trust me it will go to something else in replace of it. Get over it. And you all sound so selfish

Old 01-27-2012, 10:34 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
I googled technical high schools in my state/city and the results showed a few standard high schools.

Can you enlighten me about a technical high school...is it four years/two years? What trades do they offer? Are students employed immediately after graduation?

Any student who hates learnings & chooses to drop out of high school wouldn't want to attend a technical high school or trade school anyway. They both require hard work and studying.
In my district the vo-tech school is the last three years of HS.A studenthas to fulfil all the graduation requirments for high school as well. Here is what is offered in my district:

•Automotive Technology
•Collision Repair Technology
•Criminology: To be announced
•Esthetician
•Graphic Communications
•Green House Management
•Hair Styling
•Health Care Careers: Nursing Assistant, Health Forensics, Health Science Technology
•IT Academy (Web & Gaming Applications and Computer Information Systems)
•Nail Technician
•Water Science: To be announced
Career and Technical Education Center

I completely agree with your last paragraph and have in fact said so in the Ed Forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies