Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2012, 09:32 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,281,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
Ridiculous. SGK has a right to defend their trademark, as does ( and should) any successful business and/ or foundation. This is yet another lefttie way of thinking.....cry the blues about any organization with the audacity to become successful. Heaven forbid a business is profitable!

A huge basis for any foundation/business success is branding and marketing. Once that is established, it is irresponsible not to protect that. It is easy to wax poetic and spew misinformation when you have never owned your own business nor been responsible for establishing and promoting one to ensure success.
Actually, I do own a business, small though it may be. Assumptions are unbecoming of you, especially posed so nastily.

My problem with the trademark is that it seems they made it for the express purpose of being the ONLY organization "for the cure", and so other organizations who have been working for various cancer cures are suddenly not allowed to express that in their titles.

Many people in the medical community also have problems with SGK, as it seems their mission has been skewed from actually working toward a cure to promoting SGK, which is less helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 09:32 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,434,155 times
Quote:
You are offensive.

My mom and aunt both loved seeing the reminder of the huge community support when the pink was in full bloom. To each her own.

Still will enjoy my snuggie! Made of canerous materials you say.....provide a link.
http://ecosalon.com/snuggie-wrap-yourself-in-the-toasty-toxic-warmth/: (broken link)
Quote:
In May, they introduced the limited edition pink blanket for breast cancer. The company says it will donate $50,000 to the Breast Cancer Research Foundation on behalf of the product.
I suppose the irony is that many of the questions posed to researchers at Cancer.Org (http://www.breastcancer.org/risk/ask_expert/2005_08/question_11.jsp - broken link) relate to the link between toxins in textiles and breast cancer. One reader was wondering about her mother who had he worked at a chain of stores in which she cut cloth materials containing the kind of junk that is used to produce my daughter’s favorite throw.

What do you have to say about Susan G Komen partnering with KFC? Even if KFC was real food, should a cancer organization partner with a company that produces grossly unhealthy, fattening food when obesity increases the risk for breast cancer?

If the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society partnered with a fast food chain, you better believe that as a lymphoma survivor, I would be banging down some doors. Why do you choose to buy in when you yourself are at an increased risk and there are better organizations out there?

Old 02-02-2012, 09:35 AM

1,211 posts, read 1,533,770 times
SGK has become a joke, they can now officially declare themselves a Taliban style organziation. They will get a lot of support in the south.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:35 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,741,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
Why? I don't donate to entities that are under investigation either. As for the republicans, senators and congressmen and women often investigate issues. Aren't they supposed to do such things?
So then, if Komen wants to operate from a position of pure integrity, should they be taking the big bucks from donors like American Airlines, Bank of America, and Caterpillar? All under investigation by the feds?

Old 02-02-2012, 09:36 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,710,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Or, you could re-direct your Komen donations to Planned Parenthood, right?

If abortions are so important to you, then why not do that instead? Money talks. Fund all the abortions your heart desires!
When I was a young woman with no health insurance, I would go to PP for a yearly pap as well as birth control pills. It was there that I learned how to do my monthly breast exam.

I have had more friends who have been diagnosed with breast cancer here on Long Island, than who have openly admitted to having had an abortion. Either way, I would want a woman who needed access to either preventative screenings for breast cancer, or who needed to learn more about birth control, reproductive health or -- God forbid -- an abortion, to have equal access to the specific info she needed.

My money will be going to PP.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:38 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,588,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Actually, I do own a business, small though it may be. Assumptions are unbecoming of you, especially posed so nastily.

My problem with the trademark is that it seems they made it for the express purpose of being the ONLY organization "for the cure", and so other organizations who have been working for various cancer cures are suddenly not allowed to express that in their titles.

Many people in the medical community also have problems with SGK, as it seems their mission has been skewed from actually working toward a cure to promoting SGK, which is less helpful.
It doesnt matter....they made it first! The other organizations had every opportunity to coin that phrase for their businesses, but did not. To bad. You cannot steal another organizations trademarks just because all of a sudden you realize how successful it is and you would like to have a part of that. There are regulatory laws that we have to abide by.

I am sure that for every medical professional that is unhappy with SGK, there is another one that is very pleased. I have never heard any of my friends and family in the medical profession say anything but good about SGK. You may have different experiences.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:41 AM

1,211 posts, read 1,533,770 times
The amount SGK has stopped providing PPH is actually pretty small, and it appears that the backlash is going to result in enough donations to PPH to cover it. But the public furor caused me to do more due diligence than just idly sponsoring my neighbor's annual walk, and it turns out that SGK spends over 20% of its revenues on administration and fundraising, which is pretty high, and that only 20% of their revenue actually goes to breast cancer research. Add to that the previous items about putting the pink ribbon on products that have actually been linked to causing cancer and their nastygrams sent to other charities that dare to use the color pink or a pink ribbon or try to raise funds for the cure for anything, and they're starting to look pretty unsavory to me.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:41 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,281,607 times
Quote:
It doesnt matter....they made it first! The other organizations had every opportunity to coin that phrase for their businesses, but did not. To bad. You cannot steal another organizations trademarks just because all of a sudden you realize how successful it is and you would like to have a part of that. There are regulatory laws that we have to abide by.

I am sure that for every medical professional that is unhappy with SGK, there is another one that is very pleased. I have never heard any of my friends and family in the medical profession say anything but good about SGK. You may have different experiences.
And believe me, I am not telling you NOT to support SGK. Just do it from an educated position. As I posted earlier, also, Think Before You Pink. Rabid support of all things pink is not going to help eliminate breast cancer; smart donating will help, as well as getting regular screenings. Planned Parenthood is a good place to get those screenings, and one out of five women uses them for some sort of care. Mostly screenings, birth control, and wellness care.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:45 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,213,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
When I was a young woman with no health insurance, I would go to PP for a yearly pap as well as birth control pills. It was there that I learned how to do my monthly breast exam.

I have had more friends who have been diagnosed with breast cancer here on Long Island, than who have openly admitted to having had an abortion. Either way, I would want a woman who needed access to either preventative screenings for breast cancer, or who needed to learn more about birth control, reproductive health or -- God forbid -- an abortion, to have equal access to the specific info she needed.

My money will be going to PP.
Planned Parenthood in California is one of the few remaining places accepting MediCal, so adult women who are on this program can still go there for care.

We have an adult handicapped daughter (Down Syndrom), and Planned Parenthood has been absolutely wonderful about providing her, and other adult handicapped women, with their medical care (including breast exams).

All those putting down Planned Parenthood just don't know what you are talkin' about.

We cancelled our annual donation to Komen Foundation, and are making the payment to Planned Parenthood as part of our "statement".

Old 02-02-2012, 09:49 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,588,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
And believe me, I am not telling you NOT to support SGK. Just do it from an educated position. As I posted earlier, also, Think Before You Pink. Rabid support of all things pink is not going to help eliminate breast cancer; smart donating will help, as well as getting regular screenings. Planned Parenthood is a good place to get those screenings, and one out of five women uses them for some sort of care. Mostly screenings, birth control, and wellness care.
There are several sources/ links on google stating planned parenthood does not do breast screenings or mammograms. The SGK site has an article stating several calls were made to 27 states PPHs and all said the same.

I support PPH for their efforts in wellness care and birth control, but do not like their abortion services.....that is just my opinion. However, if they are not a huge breast cancer screening and mammogram facility, why should they receive $ from SGK?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies