Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2012, 09:42 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom123 View Post
Probably because most of our skin color ISN'T black. When's the last time you actually saw a BLACK person in America?
Kueth Duany?

Quote:
I'm not a major fan of the term African-American either, but Black or Negro isn't much better. What else is left? I already call myself "American" the majority of the time but other people aren't satisfied with using that sole definition of who I am. I'll always be a ____ guy, never just an American guy or a "guy". (See government statistical categories and everyday people of all races, including mine).
The way I figure it, it's the best choice we've got.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 09:46 AM

2,028 posts, read 1,888,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Kueth Duany?
Good point, but I should have worded my statement as: "an American whose skin is actually the color black".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
The way I figure it, it's the best choice we've got.
Which one? African-American or Black American?

Old 02-09-2012, 10:49 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,846,511 times
Anyone born in the USA are American. If they want to refer to their ethnic background then that is their choice but they are not mixed birth as far as being American........ Born in America means you are American........... NOT Afro-American or Anglo-American or Italian=American but American.
Not sure why if someone refers themselves as to being Afro-American or not is a problem, in fact, the term Afro American was used to be able to describe Black Americans without it sounding Racist as there really are no Afro-Americans but Americans who's Ancestry comes from Africa or the Carribean or Wherever. If everyone in America tagged on to the front of American where their ancestors came from then every American would have something before American in their title.

Old 02-09-2012, 10:55 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,680 times
Not all people who's skin is dark, is from Africa.

There are white people who hold dual citizenship, and are "African American".

Old 02-09-2012, 11:01 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,846,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post

Not sure how many Countries actually allow Dual Citizenship anymore.
Once you become a American Citizen and get a American passport you are supposed to surrender you passport from your other Country but i suppose that could be a situation where you could call yourself Afro=American or Anglo-American but if you are born in America you are a American Citizen no matter what color you are or where your family come from.

Old 02-09-2012, 11:08 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Once you become a American Citizen and get a American passport you are supposed to surrender you passport from your other Country but i suppose that could be a situation where you could call yourself Afro=American or Anglo-American but if you are born in America you are a American Citizen no matter what color you are or where your family come from.
You are inaccurate.

US State Department Services Dual Nationality

Old 02-09-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom123 View Post
Good point, but I should have worded my statement as: "an American whose skin is actually the color black".

Which one? African-American or Black American?
African American.

Old 02-09-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post

No such thing as being a citizen of Africa.

They might be South African Americans, or Kenyan Americans, or Zimbabwean Americans, or Mozambican Americans.

They are not African Americans.

Old 02-09-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post

Nobody is disputing this.

Old 02-09-2012, 11:54 AM

365 posts, read 644,824 times
I'm a Black American. I like it. I have no desire to call myself an African American.

I know the reasoning behind it. But I just don't believe it will in the long run. Improve Race relations. But I'm not naive enough. To say that people are color blind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies