Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 09:40 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,541,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
Orange County continues to defy liberal stereotypes of California. An article from last June describes Orange County's robust traditionalism:

-----------------------

In a state where the dynamics of marriage, family and home are shifting, Orange County remains a "vestige of tradition," as one sociologist put it.

Analysts, however, say the county's loyalty to convention is not due to a push to maintain its image as a pillar of social conservatism. Instead, they point to the bustling Latino commercial districts in Santa Ana, the Vietnamese American coffee shops in Garden Grove and the halal butchers in Anaheim — to an influx of immigrants who have imported the old-fashioned family structures of their homelands.

Orange County's ethnic enclaves are founded on religious and cultural values that include strong family ties, said Jack Bedell, a sociology professor at Cal State Fullerton. "It means 'I take in 'grandma because I want to, not because I have to,'" said Bedell ...

------------------------

Congrats to Orange County for keeping sanity alive in California!

I don't see how anybody can make generalizations about OC. It has such a great variety of people and neighborhoods that it defies generalizations. It has working class neighborhoods, ethnic enclaves, dirt poor, an open drug and gangsta problem in some areas and the super-rich coastal towns from San Clemente up to Newport Beach.

I can't think of another county right off hand which has such diversity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 09:52 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,299,081 times
Quote:
Orange County continues to defy liberal stereotypes of California. An article from last June describes Orange County's robust traditionalism:

-----------------------
You mean that they have a lot of extramarital and same gender sex while dismissing the same as bad.
So, basically, they practice hypocrisy.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:00 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,077,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CmpEngineer View Post
Conservatives preach family values and morality. Then, they do bad stuff in their private life (like adultery). They are hypocrites.
Liberals preach how they support social programs and we should help the weak, destitute and poor.... then they don't donate much at all to charity like Conservatives do... they are just as hypocritic as Reps are

Try not to think rationally or non partisan or anything

Old 02-08-2012, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
Liberals preach how they support social programs and we should help the weak, destitute and poor.... then they don't donate much at all to charity like Conservatives do... they are just as hypocritic as Reps are

Try not to think rationally or non partisan or anything
Let's see - the thread was started claiming that conservatives have the moral highground in "traditional values" and you're posting like you're upset at that being discussed.
The thread was started as a partisan exercise.
Sheesh.

Let's take the $$ donated to churches and see what contributions are?

Thanks for comparing apples and oranges.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:10 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,077,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Let's see - the thread was started claiming that conservatives have the moral highground in "traditional values" and you're posting like you're upset at that being discussed.
The thread was started as a partisan exercise.
Sheesh.

Let's take the $$ donated to churches and see what contributions are?

Thanks for comparing apples and oranges.

Well, since I am a non partisan, I thought it was only fair to mention that both sides have hypocritical traits.... try not too deflect to much

Old 02-08-2012, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
Well, since I am a non partisan, I thought it was only fair to mention that both sides have hypocritical traits.... try not too deflect to much
How am I deflecting about a thread that was started as a partisan screed?

Old 02-08-2012, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Yup, sure do. So do a lot of savvy folks that know a lot more about it than I do. If you do not think that the illegals are voting in large numbers all over the nation, an update and reality check is in order.
You have proof of this "fact" that illegals are voting in large numbers in the US?
Please post it.
I'd like to read this.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:49 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,693,943 times
Quote:
Too bad about Schmitz's personal life. Glad he did the right thing politically, though.

Really miss old "B1 Bob".

I'm sure OC is only a shadow of its old self. But if I had to choose between living with social conservatives who vote for Dems and social libertarians who vote GOP, I'd choose the former in a heartbeat.
See? Schmitz private life should only concer him and his wife. Now, if you preach about good ole morals and then you do just the opposite then his position is pretty pointless when not blatantly hypocritical.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:55 AM

4,254 posts, read 5,610,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasdrubal View Post
See? Schmitz private life should only concer him and his wife. Now, if you preach about good ole morals and then you do just the opposite then his position is pretty pointless when not blatantly hypocritical.
I'm not sure what you mean here. Adultery is a sin, and Schmitz' adultery was a scandal. He lost his position over it, as he should have, due to the values of his conservative constituency.

Laws and customs should make adultery difficult, and most especially should not reward adultery with divorce. So far as I know, Schmitz believed the same and took his medicine, despite his scandalous failing in that department.

Hypocrisy, they say, is the tribute that vice pays to virtue.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:09 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean here. Adultery is a sin, and Schmitz' adultery was a scandal. He lost his position over it, as he should have, due to the values of his conservative constituency.

Laws and customs should make adultery difficult, and most especially should not reward adultery with divorce. So far as I know, Schmitz believed the same and took his medicine, despite his scandalous failing in that department.

Hypocrisy, they say, is the tribute that vice pays to virtue.
He means that what a person does in their private life should remain private UNLESS they're spewing "morality" and not living by their words.

It's a pretty simple concept once you get a basic understanding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies