Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 03:21 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,951,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougfan View Post
Silly you....you're expecting supposed adults to take responsibilty for their "my body, my choice" mantra. Now people want gov't in the bedroom - since I guess children are no longer a "choice".
No, it is you who is being unrealistic. One cannot buy birth-control only health insurance. That's a provision built into the comprehensive plan.

Anyone can buy their own health insurance, if they want to pay an arm and a leg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 03:24 PM

1,116 posts, read 1,210,307 times
You aren't really a church when you are running a non-religious enterprise that serves and employs non-believers. I'm just disappointed the Obama administration has done such a bad job of explaining this to people.

Old 02-09-2012, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullCity75 View Post
You aren't really a church when you are running a non-religious enterprise that serves and employs non-believers. I'm just disappointed the Obama administration has done such a bad job of explaining this to people.
Which kind of disproves the meme of a liberal media.

Old 02-09-2012, 03:41 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
The WH is calling for a compromise now. Keep in mind, the art of a good salesman, is letting the buyer think the purchase was the buyer's idea.
It works. I'm old enough to remember when most people would have died before accepting civil unions for homosexuals, yet now they are BEGGING for it ("don't take marriage from us!!!").

There is compromise, then a push, then more compromise, then another push, etc. Until everything is as it should be.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:08 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,594,283 times
I'm far from catholic and I don't support most of what that church preaches. However, I'm with them on this one for two reason. First, and most importantly, I don't see why the government should force any business to pay for health insurance to cover what is essentially an elective medical treatment. I'm not talking about women who take the pill for medical reasons (ie. to reduce heavy menstrual bleeding and severe pain), but only take it to prevent pregnancy. If you force the health insurance companies to pay for that, then I want reimbursement for condoms.

Secondly, I do believe that the church should have a right to decline such coverage and if the employees want that coverage then they can go work for a non-religious employer. This is the same as with the OR nurses who worked for a public hospital that preformed abortions and the nurses complained about doing their job. If you have an ethical disagreement with a particular employer, then don't work for them.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I'm far from catholic and I don't support most of what that church preaches. However, I'm with them on this one for two reason. First, and most importantly, I don't see why the government should force any business to pay for health insurance to cover what is essentially an elective medical treatment. I'm not talking about women who take the pill for medical reasons (ie. to reduce heavy menstrual bleeding and severe pain), but only take it to prevent pregnancy. If you force the health insurance companies to pay for that, then I want reimbursement for condoms.

Secondly, I do believe that the church should have a right to decline such coverage and if the employees want that coverage then they can go work for a non-religious employer. This is the same as with the OR nurses who worked for a public hospital that preformed abortions and the nurses complained about doing their job. If you have an ethical disagreement with a particular employer, then don't work for them.
Where were you in 2000 when the Clinton Admin did it and Bush's EEOC ruled the same way?

Quote:
In December 2000, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission ruled that companies that provided prescription drugs to their employees but didn't provide birth control were in violation of Title VII of the 1964 Civil Rights Act, which prevents discrimination on the basis of sex. That opinion, which the George W. Bush administration did nothing to alter or withdraw when it took office the next month, is still in effect today—and because it relies on Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, it applies to all employers with 15 or more employees. Employers that don't offer prescription coverage or don't offer insurance at all are exempt, because they treat men and women equally—but under the EEOC's interpretation of the law, you can't offer other preventative care coverage without offering birth control coverage, too.
link

Old 02-09-2012, 05:45 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,347,675 times
Default Freedom Of Religion Is Guaranteed In The USA...Except When It Conflicts With Barack Obama's Agenda

Barack Obama is at work re-writing the Constitution once again. Frankly, I'm shocked!

Quote:
Muslims have the right to practice their religion" just like anyone else

Quote:
"That's who we are fighting against," he said. "And the reason that we will win this fight is not simply the strength of our arms, it is the strength of our values."
Obama: Muslims have right to build mosque near 9/11 site

However, these values seem to have suddenly changed:

Quote:
The Obama Administration is requiring Catholic Universities, Hospitals, and Charities to offer free birth control with health care.
Quote:
The White House is signaling it may take steps to curb Roman Catholic concerns, who say birth control mandates force them to violate religious beliefs.
Catholic Institutions required to offer free birth control

Last edited by Rick Roma; 02-09-2012 at 06:01 PM..

Old 02-09-2012, 05:51 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
Completely true, but you could say that about virtually every issue. The "constitutional lawyer" is all about shredding the document.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:51 PM

23,988 posts, read 15,086,618 times
Well, the Mormons had to give up polygamy.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:53 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Whose religious freedom?

The U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops are demanding a total ban on mandated birth control coverage for EVERY AMERICAN!

Catholic Bishops Want Entire Birth Control Rule Repealed, Not Just the Religious Exemption | Mother Jones

You also fail to point out that religious employees are exempt from the law. Doctors, nurses, professors are not religious employees and have the same right to federal laws as any other employee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies