Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 05:36 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
Provide proof US killed a million people
Quote:
On 12 October 2006, a study (http://www.thelancet.com/webfiles/images/journals/lancet/s0140673606694919.pdf - broken link) of mortality developments in Iraq was published in British medical journal The Lancet. This found that between 393,000 and 943,000 excess deaths have occurred in the 2003 invasion and its aftermath, with 655,000 the most likely estimate.
You'll remember that Nov. 2006 was before the "surge"

Sources:

http://www.iraqanalysis.org/mortality/index.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lancet_...War_casualties
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 06:22 PM

3,728 posts, read 4,870,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Cute. Notice the term is "excess deaths". That includes a lot of natural causes as well. Not all those were the result of violence and not all of that violence was committed by the US. I also find it funny that the authors of the study doubt the Iraqi death certificate statistics, but used Iraqi death certificates as the basis of their study.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:09 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,460,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
Cute. Notice the term is "excess deaths". That includes a lot of natural causes as well. Not all those were the result of violence and not all of that violence was committed by the US. I also find it funny that the authors of the study doubt the Iraqi death certificate statistics, but used Iraqi death certificates as the basis of their study.
1) Since the invasion of Iraq, about 1 million Americans died. Prove me that it wasn't because of the war in Iraq! Lets add the Iraqi dead before the invasion (resulting from the sanctions) and you end up with more casualties than the entire Iraqi population.
2) Did you notice the silence about the civilian casualties in Syria? Not even one post. Shhh.. Only few thousands slaughtered by their army. No biggie, in particular since the US or Israel didn't cause these deaths.
3) As one poster wrote: Iranian threats on Israel are laughable. Again. no biggie. The fact that Iranians speak of Israel's annihilation is no different than Israel intending to destroy Iran's nuclear facilities. The fact that nobody in the world wants to destroy Iran is no consolation. The fact that only its retarded medieval regime is tin danger, makes some progressives... sad. As sad as due to Assad's potential departure. Poor Basshar.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:17 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
Cute.
I'm glad you find a million innocent people slaughtered "cute".

Actually, it makes me want to vomit the pathology of some people in this country. Two good examples are George W. Bush and Richard Cheney.

Old 02-09-2012, 10:55 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,171,522 times
Here's the doctrine article, english translation starts halfway down the page.
h ttp://www.alef.ir/vdcepw8zwjh8ewi.b9bj.html?142262

Old 02-10-2012, 10:03 AM

49 posts, read 56,058 times
After WW II the Jewish people said "never again."

Let's hope Iran does not want to test that resolve. It may seem irrational to us but when someone else is threatening you with annihilation you do what you must to survive, even if it means a preventive attack.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:23 AM

912 posts, read 1,332,011 times
I would not mind it if both sides were destroyed .I am sick and tired of hearing about both of them.

Old 02-10-2012, 06:00 PM

3,728 posts, read 4,870,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I'm glad you find a million innocent people slaughtered "cute".

Actually, it makes me want to vomit the pathology of some people in this country. Two good examples are George W. Bush and Richard Cheney.
I never said that the deaths were cute. I said the study is cute and I pointed out the reasons why.

Here are my problems the common interpretations of the study (and the study itself):

1) It makes no difference between deaths caused by violence and natural causes, so an increase in deaths due to an increase in car crashes or a decrease in the quality of heathcare is treated the same as someone who is blown apart by a bomb.

2) It makes no difference between deaths caused by American forces and Iraqi insurgents. So Americans get equal blame for a car bomb in a city square.

3)

a) It makes no difference between military (or insurgent) deaths and civilians. So a sniper killed by an American Apache is treated no different than a civilian killed by an Apache.

b) No difference is made between intent. A civilian who is killed in crossfire is treated the same as one who is deliberately killed and I will concede that there are recorded cases of American soldiers deliberately killing civilians.

4) That study does not mesh with previous and later estimates of number of people killed and is more than twice as much as what the highest estimates have come up with.

So what people like you end up doing is taking a wide variety of people (soldiers, insurgents, terrorists, police officers, and civilians) who were on different sides (anti-insurgent, pro-insurgent, neutral/indifferent) who died of various causes (natural causes, accidents, suicides, and war) who died for different reasons and turned it into "The US military has slaughtered/murdered/butchered over 1,000,000 innocent Iraqi civilians!"

Old 02-10-2012, 06:03 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Just in another thread, an individual soon to be banned said "Kill all of the ......."

I won't honor his stupidity by saying the word, but even white people are morons like this Ayatellya

Live and let live. If someone tries to stop you from doing that, then you have the right to action.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:06 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrusher View Post
After WW II the Jewish people said "never again."

Let's hope Iran does not want to test that resolve. It may seem irrational to us but when someone else is threatening you with annihilation you do what you must to survive, even if it means a preventive attack.
Agreed.

[War is Peace]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies