Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 12:22 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,756,723 times

Advertisements

Kids can't play football on the beech, and can't dig a hole in the sand deeper than 18 inches. Violators will be fined $1000.

Looks like the idiots are running LA government. Why do so many idiots in office want to tell everyone how to live?

LOS ANGELES (CBS) — When you head down to the beach for a little fun this summer, county officials want you to leave the pigskin at home.
The Board of Supervisors this week agreed to raise fines to up to $1,000 for anyone who throws a football or a Frisbee on any beach in Los Angeles County.

LA County OKs $1,000 Fine For Throwing Football, Frisbee On Beaches « CBS Los Angeles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 12:38 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,138,171 times
I've spent time on LA-area beaches, and this is just stupid. Throwing and digging is what you do when you go to the beach for most kids!

When will the insanity stop, Liberals?

Old 02-09-2012, 12:48 PM

13,694 posts, read 9,018,075 times
I have never been to the beaches in that area.

I admit, it does sound very restrictive (it is mainly for the summer, according to the article, when the beaches are most crowded; the rules are 'relaxed' for the winter months).

On the other hand, I once saw a group of youngsters on a beach (Galveston) throwing a football that struck a woman in the face. I believe it broke her nose. Anyway, she had as much right to sit on that beach as anyone, yet she was injured by the thoughtless actions of others.

Perhaps other can enlighten us: do they have such regulations for the beaches of the northeast? I have seen photographs before showing how crowded such beaches can become, and I can't imagine anyone throwing anything, but a fit.

Anyway, I suppose that if the citizens of LA dislike the regulation, they can take some type of action to replace the members of that board, and get it revoked.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:50 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,815,687 times
Apparently they think that will help them fund their budget.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:55 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,539,575 times
And, for Gawd's sake...don't smoke a cigarette on their beaches! Ya might kill somebody!

Old 02-09-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I have never been to the beaches in that area.

I admit, it does sound very restrictive (it is mainly for the summer, according to the article, when the beaches are most crowded; the rules are 'relaxed' for the winter months).

On the other hand, I once saw a group of youngsters on a beach (Galveston) throwing a football that struck a woman in the face. I believe it broke her nose. Anyway, she had as much right to sit on that beach as anyone, yet she was injured by the thoughtless actions of others. .

Every human activity has some risk. We don't need government to outlaw every activity that has the potential to injure somebody.

Using the LA logic, they should outlaw towels and lawn chairs on the beech to prevent people from getting a sunburn.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:31 PM

13,694 posts, read 9,018,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Every human activity has some risk. We don't need government to outlaw every activity that has the potential to injure somebody.

Using the LA logic, they should outlaw towels and lawn chairs on the beech to prevent people from getting a sunburn.

Well, I imagine the 'LA logic' is to prevent people from hurting other people. Now, if people were in the habit of throwing lawn chairs........

Last edited by legalsea; 02-09-2012 at 01:41 PM.. Reason: spelling!

Old 02-09-2012, 01:40 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,138,171 times
Quote:

Excellent post! It doesn't get any truer than these words!!

Old 02-09-2012, 01:45 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,137,755 times
Whoever came with this must be a retard. All they’re going to do is push people to the beaches in Orange County. Why target football but not volleyball?

Quote:
Kids can't play football on the beech, and can't dig a hole in the sand deeper than 18 inches. Violators will be fined $1000.

Looks like the idiots are running LA government. Why do so many idiots in office want to tell everyone how to live?

LOS ANGELES (CBS) — When you head down to the beach for a little fun this summer, county officials want you to leave the pigskin at home.
The Board of Supervisors this week agreed to raise fines to up to $1,000 for anyone who throws a football or a Frisbee on any beach in Los Angeles County.

LA County OKs $1,000 Fine For Throwing Football, Frisbee On Beaches « CBS Los Angeles

Old 02-09-2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Well, I imagine the 'LA logic' is to prevent people from hurting other people. Now, if people were in the habit of throwing lawn chairs........
I don't think people on the beach are in the habit of throwing footballs at people either. I suspect that an errant football injuring someone is a very rare event.

And you don't need to throw lawn chairs to have a risk. One might stub one's toe on a lawn chair... maybe they will outlaw lawn chairs.

At some point, we all become robots whose only goal in life is to avoid risk.

Without risk, life isn't worth living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies