Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 01:49 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
People are fired everyday at their employer's whim - some justly; some unjustly (Juan Williams pops to mind, but there are many.) We read about it daily. Why should it be different for teachers, with whom parents are forced to entrust the care of their children?
Because it is unjust.

[facts not emotions]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 01:55 AM

3,064 posts, read 2,639,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Because it is unjust.

[facts, not emotions]
What is "unjust;" an employer firing an employee because he decides that employee is no longer fit to be employed? Is it unjust for any employer to be able to fire an employee?

Old 02-11-2012, 02:02 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times
Quote:
What is "unjust;" an employer firing an employee because he decides that employee is no longer fit to be employed? Is it unjust for any employer to be able to fire an employee?
On what basis?

[decisions should be based on facts]

Old 02-11-2012, 04:14 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,783,417 times
Quote:
........facing millions of dollars in lawsuits from involved families, many of whom are illegal immigrants.
I just heard on the television that the majority of the students are children of illegals and there are also children who are illegal.

Over the years a number of children had told their parent(s) what had happened to them but the parent(s) did not report it to the school because they were afraid that if they did it would come out that they were illegals. So the parent(s) kept their mouth shut and packed off their child/ren and continued to send them to school to be subjected to some sick animal abusing them, just so that they could stay under the radar.

I don't think those parents should receive a red cent from a lawsuit. Using the excuse that they sacrificed their child/ren because they didn't want to be discovered as being illegal is not valid. The parents who knew what was going on and continued to send their child/ren to the school should be charged with child neglect and parental abuse and the child/ren removed from the home - that is what would happen if it was a citizen. They used their children and subjected them to further abuse for their own purpose and gain. As far as I'm concerned,they are no better than the abusers. Obviously staying in the US illegally at the expense of their child/ren was more important than the welfare of their own child/ren. And the end result is that the parent(s) should be rewarded for keeping silent and their child/ren will carry that abuse through their life.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:14 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
If you fire a teacher based on allegations of a student and later the student recants, that teacher's career is over and already destroyed.

And there are kids out there that would make those types of allegations just to "get back" at the teacher for bad grades, behavior management, etc.

In today's schools with today's kids, yes the administration should not do anything until they have solid proof and evidence that what the kid is accusing the teacher of actually did occur.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
If you fire a teacher based on allegations of a student and later the student recants, that teacher's career is over and already destroyed.

And there are kids out there that would make those types of allegations just to "get back" at the teacher for bad grades, behavior management, etc.

In today's schools with today's kids, yes the administration should not do anything until they have solid proof and evidence that what the kid is accusing the teacher of actually did occur.
In many cases, there is enough evidence to warrant the firing of the teacher. Maybe not enough for criminal charges. But enough to not risk that teacher being around kids.

Old 02-11-2012, 02:24 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Look. I think the whole system is wrong. Why are the teachers always protected?
Silly me, I thought we lived in a country were one was innocent until proven guilty!

How liberal of me.

Old 02-11-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Silly me, I thought we lived in a country were one was innocent until proven guilty!

How liberal of me.
Yes. In a court of law. We are talking about a job. Its about getting fired; not being sent to prison.

Old 02-12-2012, 07:58 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,481,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
The parents who knew what was going on and continued to send their child/ren to the school should be charged with child neglect and parental abuse and the child/ren removed from the home - that is what would happen if it was a citizen. They used their children and subjected them to further abuse for their own purpose and gain. As far as I'm concerned,they are no better than the abusers. Obviously staying in the US illegally at the expense of their child/ren was more important than the welfare of their own child/ren.
You are not accounting for the reality that most parents who are illegal think it's of utmost importance to the welfare of their children to keep them in the United States. It's not clear exactly how much was told, when, and to whom.

There is a well-known charity home for street children in Guatemala City run by an American expatriate who is credibly believed to have taken inappropriate liberties with some of his young charges (though nothing as disgusting as what this teacher was accused of). Guatemala has refused to extradite him to the U.S. for 20 years, because from their standpoint, he's done way more good for desperately poor children in that country than harm. I think a lot of parents in this case may have looked at this in a similar way: better one creepy teacher than a whole life south of the border.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies