Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should it be legal to distribute leaflets calling for the execution of homosexuals?
Yes 28 32.56%
No 53 61.63%
Not sure 5 5.81%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 12:21 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,400,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quenelle View Post
I actually had to go on Google to find out what EDL meant. English Defence League! I have actually never heard of it and Yes, I do live in England, just shows what a sheltered life I lead. Actually I am not English (nor American) but live in England and am very loyal to it. If a country is good enough to live in then it is good enough to stand up for
If you like England, stop posting lies:

"Do you all in America realize that I couldn't even post something like this on a British Forum?"

I post on a couple of British forums. Although I am not anti-Muslim, you'll find a lot of British people who agree with you about that nonsense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 12:23 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
They said they were doing their "duty" as Muslims.

Given our strong protections of free speech, I'm presuming this type of leaflet would be legal to distribute in the U.S. - correct? As long as the leaflet isn't making a direct threat to harm someone, I think it should be legal.

BBC News - Derby men jailed for giving out gay death call leaflets
Dang *******s need to stay in their OWN backward countries and stop polluting Western democracies.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
If it makes you happy to call me homophobic then do so. I really don't care one way or another. I like to live and let live as far as possible but I don't have to AGREE in my heart with things. I have a right to an opinion and to express it just as loudly as homosexuals do. That doesn't make me wrong because I don't agree with gay marriages. Why can't they just get on quietly with their lives? Why do they for ever have to be 'in your face' with their demands?
You contradict yourself. You say you're not religious and don't care what homosexuals do, but you have a problem with them marrying, even though as a "live and let live" person 2 gays getting married isn't going to affect you in the slightest. How are they being "in your face"?

I would have more respect for you if you just admitted that you're at least somewhat homophobic rather than post contradictory nonsense. Either you're comfortable with the notion of homosexuality or you're not, especially if it doesn't affect you.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:54 PM

499 posts, read 580,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
If you like England, stop posting lies:

"Do you all in America realize that I couldn't even post something like this on a British Forum?"

I post on a couple of British forums. Although I am not anti-Muslim, you'll find a lot of British people who agree with you about that nonsense.
It is not nonsense! We have terrorists here who we can't deport because of the Human Rights Act. The Muslims demonstrate against British soldiers when they come home from Afghanistan. They burnt Poppies on Armistice Day and often burn the British and American Flags. Why do they live here? Because we are a soft touch and pay them benefits, if they hate the British so much why don't they return to their own countries? If I didn't like a country or the people I would move away from it. You post on the British Forums but you obviously don't live here, until you do then I suggest you keep your mouth shut or your fingers off your keyboard. I shall now get a slap on the wrist for this post from the Moderator. O.K. Moderator, I'm ready

Old 02-18-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:
It is not nonsense! We have terrorists here who we can't deport because of the Human Rights Act. The Muslims demonstrate against British soldiers when they come home from Afghanistan. They burnt Poppies on Armistice Day and often burn the British and American Flags. Why do they live here? Because we are a soft touch and pay them benefits, if they hate the British so much why don't they return to their own countries? If I didn't like a country or the people I would move away from it. You post on the British Forums but you obviously don't live here, until you do then I suggest you keep your mouth shut or your fingers off your keyboard. I shall now get a slap on the wrist for this post from the Moderator. O.K. Moderator, I'm ready
I am British. There was no need for your little hissy fit. I was merely asking you why you said you'd be banned and censored on British forums for posting anything against Islamic extremists. As I said, you'd probably find more British people who agreed with you than disagreed, but not me. I tend to be more rational about these things and have 2 close friends back home who are Muslim but not extremists and 2 of the nicest people you'll meet and very hard working on top of that. All you are doing is perpetuating already negative stereotypes about the UK, reinforcing the belief by those who've never set foot in the UK that the country is overrun by Muslims.

Old 02-18-2012, 01:04 PM

Quote:
You contradict yourself. You say you're not religious and don't care what homosexuals do, but you have a problem with them marrying, even though as a "live and let live" person 2 gays getting married isn't going to affect you in the slightest. How are they being "in your face"?

I would have more respect for you if you just admitted that you're at least somewhat homophobic rather than post contradictory nonsense. Either you're comfortable with the notion of homosexuality or you're not, especially if it doesn't affect you.
I don't have any 'problem' with them marrying. I just don't understand why they want to. What difference will it make to them? It is not as if they can have children who will be classed as 'bastards' because their parents aren't married.
I don't actually give a damn if you respect me or not. Who are you that I should desire your respect? You have a high opinion of yourself

Old 02-18-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
I am British. There was no need for your little hissy fit. I was merely asking you why you said you'd be banned and censored on British forums for posting anything against Islamic extremists. As I said, you'd probably find more British people who agreed with you than disagreed, but not me. I tend to be more rational about these things and have 2 close friends back home who are Muslim but not extremists and 2 of the nicest people you'll meet and very hard working on top of that. All you are doing is perpetuating already negative stereotypes about the UK, reinforcing the belief by those who've never set foot in the UK that the country is overrun by Muslims.
You may be British but you obviously don't live here. I have lived for years in Muslim countries and had no problems, being in their country I abided by the rules. The majority of Muslims we have in the U.K. are just great and as you say hard working people. There is an old saying "When in Rome, do as the Romans do" so why can't the minority do that? Why should we keep the radicals in benefits and large houses, all paid by the tax payer and be unable to deport them because of the Human Rights Act? America wouldn't put up with it!

Old 02-18-2012, 01:20 PM

Quote:
I don't have any 'problem' with them marrying. I just don't understand why they want to. What difference will it make to them? It is not as if they can have children who will be classed as 'bastards' because their parents aren't married.
I don't actually give a damn if you respect me or not. Who are you that I should desire your respect? You have a high opinion of yourself
Now you are backpedaling as a few posts ago you said that you didn't agree with them marrying. Which is it? You don't understand why they "want to" marry? For the same reasons YOU got married, just as the earlier poster implied.

Many gay couples are adopting these days too and make perfectly good parents.

Such powers you possess to say I have a high opinion of myself. I think you're just getting flustered.

Old 02-18-2012, 01:24 PM

Quote:
You may be British but you obviously don't live here. I have lived for years in Muslim countries and had no problems, being in their country I abided by the rules. The majority of Muslims we have in the U.K. are just great and as you say hard working people. There is an old saying "When in Rome, do as the Romans do" so why can't the minority do that? Why should we keep the radicals in benefits and large houses, all paid by the tax payer and be unable to deport them because of the Human Rights Act? America wouldn't put up with it!
The US has a huge problem with illegal inmigration from south of the border, in fact most countries have issues with illegal immigration, not just Britain.

Most Muslims in Britain are law abiding citizens who work hard and pay their tax just like anyone else. There are a minority of extremists that need to be dealt with, but most of the crime in Britain and antosocial behaviour is committed by British kids of the chav variety.

As much as I defend my country, the British abroad hardly adhere to "when in Rome". To see proof of that, just go to Spain and see how the expats there have not made any effort at all to assimilate and have driven up property prices on the Spanish Mediterranean coast.

Old 02-18-2012, 01:27 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
They said they were doing their "duty" as Muslims.

Given our strong protections of free speech, I'm presuming this type of leaflet would be legal to distribute in the U.S. - correct? As long as the leaflet isn't making a direct threat to harm someone, I think it should be legal.

BBC News - Derby men jailed for giving out gay death call leaflets
It's a conundrum for the left.

Take the side of the muslims or the gays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies