Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 09:50 PM

30,400 posts, read 52,011,068 times

Advertisements

Btw, I do think both the employers and employees should be given choices - and in most cases they are (we had 3 or 4 different plans to choose from at my work). But ONE of those choices should be comprehensive, and at least at this time, comprehensive care includes gynecological services which almost always offer birth control options & pregnancy planning. We generally have to pay a co-pay for these services, and the rest is covered by what WE pay into our medical plans. I don't see why this is such a big problem, since nobody is saying the Catholics themselves have to hand out birth control. Just offer the employees a PPO of some sort, and let them find their own doctors who match their personal needs and beliefs. See how the concepts of choice and freedom apply there?

Old 03-02-2012, 09:52 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,952,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
First of all, I'm not personally doing anything to anyone... I work for a county institution, and pay into my own benefits (50% since I'm not full-time) monthly. And seeing as I'm also not an elected official, you can stop with the personally-directed comments right now.

What if you're a nurse, and the only hospital in town is a Catholic Hospital? We're not talking about working for a church, we are talking about general places of employment (sometimes the LARGEST employers in a certain region) who employ folks of all religious backgrounds. I could say "if you don't want to offer comprehensive medical coverage, open a private church-run business and stop accepting government subsidies." Fair enough?
Every business should be allowed to offer whatever payment or benefits they want to offer, and not offer any they choose not to offer. The government should have no say in the matter.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:53 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,776,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
What is the Catholic stance on herbal birth control, or sheepskin condoms? Both natural materials BTW.
Ah, thanks, I miss spoke, I meant exogenous (look it up). I suppose you agree with me now?

I can't think of any plan that covers herbal products or sheepskin condoms, or any condoms for that matter. However, if you are asking me from a theological standpoint. Both methods would be a mortal sins if the intent is to prevent conception.

Last edited by shorebaby; 03-02-2012 at 10:04 PM..

Old 03-02-2012, 09:55 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,044,586 times
They are being forced to offer it. As for being a nurse in a town where the only hospital is a Catholic organization, I know of no Catholic hospital that is so isolated that one could not find employment elsewhere.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
Government mandated, dear; forcing employers to provide adult recreation protection for overgrown babies who don't want the responsibility of babies nor the personal responsibility for ensuring they don't end up with one.
Again, many women (myself included) have taken birth control for reasons other than preventing pregnancy... I was celibate during most of the time I took BC, and could have cared for a child if I had become pregnant at that time.

That being said, nobody is being forced to dole out birth control - they are only being asked to provide comprehensive care options, when the business in question is not a private one. Want to control what you can & can't do? Open a private business, and then you can offer or not offer whatever you want.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Again, many women (myself included) have taken birth control for reasons other than preventing pregnancy... I was celibate during most of the time I took BC, and could have cared for a child if I had become pregnant at that time.

That being said, nobody is being forced to dole out birth control - they are only being asked to provide comprehensive care options, when the business in question is not a private one. Want to control what you can & can't do? Open a private business, and then you can offer or not offer whatever you want.
This is a great idea. The Catholic hospitals should reorganize as a 501(c)(3) private organization and charge a $1.00 membership fee to all patients.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
Every business should be allowed to offer whatever payment or benefits they want to offer, and not offer any they choose not to offer. The government should have no say in the matter.
Private businesses, yes. But this issue is related to public institutions, which are required to follow certain laws as mandated by the government. I actually don't feel too strongly about this issue, since I've always worked for county/city institutions which offer a wide variety of care options... but knowing many people in the medical profession, I also understand they DON'T always have a choice in where to work (especially during these hard economic times). Why shouldn't they be able to choose a medical plan that meets their needs, when they weren't required to adhere to certain religious beliefs in order to be hired? Makes no sense, and seems the Catholics are the only ones trying to stomp on anyone's freedoms here.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
They are being forced to offer it.
They are also forced to offer equal employment opportunities to non-Catholics, and people of every race and (in some states) sexual orientation or gender. So I say again, if they can't handle government regulations, they should go private and stop taking/following all of the other rules too - if they so desire.

Quote:
As for being a nurse in a town where the only hospital is a Catholic organization, I know of no Catholic hospital that is so isolated that one could not find employment elsewhere.
I do, especially if we're talking about actual job openings.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Makes no sense, and seems the Catholics are the only ones trying to stomp on anyone's freedoms here.
You have this backwards. This is really a 1st Ammendment issue - do you have a problem with the free exercise clause? Do you really want to go down the road where the federal government tells a religiously based organization that it cannot follow the tenents of its faith?

Old 03-02-2012, 10:05 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,776,301 times
It is astonishing to me that so many are so critical of the church's teachings when so few actually know what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies