Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 09:19 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I'll need to read more to comment on this case...
This is like listening to a broken monophonic broken record. Time for me to put it on the shelf.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 09:21 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,202,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Malicious prosecution certainly isn't unheard of but on the other hand 12 jurors sitting in a court room heard the evidence and unanimously found her guilty. This wasn't a case of mistaken identity, and I have to assume that at least some of her fellow officers testified against her during her trial. Not having been there nor having heard the relevant evidence, I have no idea how one would second guess the jury based on a news report.
Yep, that is why we have a jury system. We didn't hear all the evidence. I'll support the jury's judgement over opinions based on bits and pieces of the story.

Could rep ya again.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:23 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,331,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowitsshowtime View Post
Something doesn't sound right about this, but even though she was found guilty, 10 YEARS?! What the hell is that. There are what I would deem more serious crimes that get a lot less than that. Also considering no one was seriously hurt.
I agree with this at least. She should have been punished, but 10 years seems excessive. Most police brutality cases, even bad ones, get about 2-4 years - max.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:23 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
with a good civil rights lawyer and some thugs bent on revenge, the heroes of my childhood, elliot ness and the untouchables, would all be in jail, their families stripped of all assets and the thugs free and on the streets. this is why our president uses seal hitmen to take care of terrorists. disfunctional judicial system.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:29 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,202,822 times
Thanks, maybe the mods can lock this thread now. Myth busted....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
The other side of the story:

UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, Plaintiff-Appellee, v.  No. 01-5002
STEPHANIE MOHR,
Defendant-Appellant.
On September 21, 1995, Officer Wendell Brantley, of the Takoma
Park, Maryland Police Department, was conducting surveillance in
the Holton Lane area of Prince George’s County because of a number
of commercial burglaries in that area. At approximately 2 a.m.,
Officer Brantley spotted two men on the roof of the Sligo Press building.
He called for assistance and several Takoma Park officers,
includingSergeant Dennis Bonn, responded. Bonn then asked for assistance
from Prince George’s County and specifically requested a K-9 dog.
Prince George’s K-9 officers Mohr and Anthony Delozier arrived
with Mohr’s police dog. Bonn also called for a Maryland State Police
helicopter, which illuminated the entire roof with a powerful light called a "night sun."

Bonn, with corroboration from three other police eyewitnesses, testified to the government’s version of how and why Mohr released her police dog on Ricardo Mendez, one of the suspects on the roof. After the helicopter arrived, the officers ordered the suspects to come to the
back of the roof. Mendez and the other suspect, Jorge Herrera-Cruz,
did so and held their hands in the air, as directed by the officers.
Then, again as directed by the officers, the suspects climbed down
from the roof, keeping their hands in the air, and eventually facing the
officers, who surrounded them in a semicircle, some with their guns
drawn. Bonn testified that the suspects followed all police commands.

As the suspects stood with their hands up in the air, Delozier
approached Bonn and asked: "Sarge, can the dog get a bite?" Bonn
"responded with one word, which was yes." Bonn testified that "[a]t
that time, [the suspects] still had their hands in the air and they
weren’t doing anything." Bonn then witnessed Delozier and Mohr
have "a very, very brief exchange," followed by Mohr releasing the
dog. The dog attacked Mendez, who "still had his hands in the air
when . . . the dog bit him in the leg. [He] went down screaming and
continued to scream." Bonn testified that, prior to Mohr’s release of
the dog, Mendez did not make "any sudden movement," did not "fail
to comply with police command[s]," did not "lower his hands," and
did not "attempt to flee in any way." Bonn did not hear any K-9 warning
prior to Mohr’s release of the dog or at any point during the evening.
As a result of the incident, Bonn pled guilty as an accessory-after-the
fact to a civil rights violation and testified for the government pursuant to a plea agreement.
http://pacer.ca4.uscourts.gov/opinion.pdf/015002.P.pdf

I also suggest reading the rest of the opinion denying Ms. Mohr's appeal that reveals a pattern of incidents where she abused citizens and suspects with her dog.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:51 AM

8,653 posts, read 6,134,390 times
Given me a break! The Federal Government needs to prosecute more law enforcement officers when there is police brutality. This shows there will be consequences when police attack citizens and others will think twice before violating civil rights.

Quote:
“In this case, you had a situation where two homeless Hispanic men were surrounded by police officers, who in a willful and wanton way, decided to attack them,” Dettlebach says."

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
Female Police Officer Stephanie Mohr Speaks Out After 10 Years in Prison for Unleashing K-9 on Suspect | TheBlaze.com

I never heard about this story until now but it makes me sick. How these prosecutors and whoever else played politics, spent years trying to take this cop down, over doing what she was trained to do.

Who on earth would want to be a cop anymore? You do your job, in some instances youll have people gunning for you.

She served more than 8 years or a 10 year sentence. I bet REAL criminals usually do less than 85 percent of their time for worse crimes.

The fact that she was prosecuted in the first place is just appalling.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:56 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,532,927 times
Every convict claims they were framed. (shrugs)

Old 02-16-2012, 11:12 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
I agree with this at least. She should have been punished, but 10 years seems excessive. Most police brutality cases, even bad ones, get about 2-4 years - max.

Title 18, U.S.C., Section 242 Deprivation of Rights Under Color of Law
Punishment varies from a fine or imprisonment of up to one year, or both, and if bodily injury results or if such acts include the use, attempted use, or threatened use of a dangerous weapon, explosives, or fire shall be fined or imprisoned up to ten years or both, and if death results, or if such acts include kidnapping or an attempt to kidnap, aggravated sexual abuse or an attempt to commit aggravated sexual abuse, or an attempt to kill, shall be fined under this title, or imprisoned for any term of years or for life, or both, or may be sentenced to death.
While she received the maximum penalty prescribe by law, it certainly wasn't outside of the sentencing guidelines which is why she only served eight years of her 10 year sentence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies