Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 05:34 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,536,572 times

Advertisements

Ben & Jerry’s franchisee apologizes for use of fortune cookies in flavor honoring Lin | Burlington Free Press | burlingtonfreepress.com

Another incident in one of many, since he started playing great about 1 month ago. Sorry, some of the good pub (not most of it though), that he's received is due to him being something that America has never seen before, almost like Obama and a lot of people can't handle it properly.
I said almost sorry state of racism in the US, since Obama's election and the rise in interracial marriages are two reasons, why it's probably not sorry.
But it could be A LOT better and it's still probably not good.
In summary, has America handled talking about Lin in a racially hip way? I'd say no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 06:51 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,795,846 times
Of course not.

Some nimrod decided he'd get a rise out of his friends if he yelled "*****!" at Jeremy Lin. Even though in fact he didn't personally care whether Lin was Chinese or not.

He's not a racist. Merely a jerk. As are most others like him.

You couldn't figure this out?

This doesn't show "sorry racism" in the US. Just "sorry gullibility" among those who believed it was racism.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:59 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,559,984 times
Blacks have been showing more signs of racism towards him. You should hear how some black coworkers talk about him. The words they use would get deleted here.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:15 PM

6,455 posts, read 7,018,342 times
Well, his success and popularity is evidence enough that racism to some extent is alive and well. He's faced a lot of racism that ordinarily people would have never put up with if he were black. Everything from the white ESPN reporter headlining him as the "C---k in Armor" to Ben & Jerry's Ice Creme associating him with fortune cookies. Even Floyd Mayweather made an in appropriate assessment of the matter. A lot of this would have been unthinkable and intolerable if it occurred towards other minorities. Even to the point where it would have brought about boycotts, public apologies and protests. But for Jeremy Lin? Nothing, nada.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:33 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,384,118 times
The overwhelming majority of attention showered upon Lin is positive. Is it evidence of racism, or just the opposite?

The Ben and Jerry's story is evidence of the abject idiocy of political correctness. I remember when Brit NBA player John Amaechi was around there were some stories about his fondness for tea. There were no howls of racism. (Ameaechi of course later outed himself as the NBA's first and so far only gay player). What about 'Cornbread' Maxwell? I don't recall any cries of racism or issuance of PC journalism guidelines there either. So why the national uproar over the linking of Lin to fortune cookies? It's evidence of sheer stupidity in journalism, but not of American racism.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:33 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,559,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Ben & Jerry’s franchisee apologizes for use of fortune cookies in flavor honoring Lin | Burlington Free Press | burlingtonfreepress.com

Another incident in one of many, since he started playing great about 1 month ago. Sorry, some of the good pub (not most of it though), that he's received is due to him being something that America has never seen before, almost like Obama and a lot of people can't handle it properly.
I said almost sorry state of racism in the US, since Obama's election and the rise in interracial marriages are two reasons, why it's probably not sorry.
But it could be A LOT better and it's still probably not good.
In summary, has America handled talking about Lin in a racially hip way? I'd say no.
Hadn't heard about the ice cream thing. Guess it just doesn't have the same impact in the press' mind as if they made a watermelon ice cream dedicated to Lebron James.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:59 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,116,964 times
It's kind of funny, actually, haha...nothing to get your panties in a bunch about it.

The irony is that Fortune Cookies are as American as Apple Pie. I think it was Yao Ming who wasn't aware of the connection because he'd never seen fortune cookies in China before.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:38 PM

6,455 posts, read 7,018,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
The overwhelming majority of attention showered upon Lin is positive. Is it evidence of racism, or just the opposite?

The Ben and Jerry's story is evidence of the abject idiocy of political correctness. I remember when Brit NBA player John Amaechi was around there were some stories about his fondness for tea. There were no howls of racism. (Ameaechi of course later outed himself as the NBA's first and so far only gay player). What about 'Cornbread' Maxwell? I don't recall any cries of racism or issuance of PC journalism guidelines there either. So why the national uproar over the linking of Lin to fortune cookies? It's evidence of sheer stupidity in journalism, but not of American racism.
So in otherwords, as long as the "overwhelming majority" of attention is positive; a minimal or marginal degree of "racism" is tolerable and ok?

You minimize the use of fortune cookies; and conveniently glossed over ESPN's comment. Something tells me that if ESPN made reference to an Italian player as a "WOPPER" or some other racial epithet, many of those in the italian community would be up in arms over it.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:44 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,252,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Blacks have been showing more signs of racism towards him. You should hear how some black coworkers talk about him. The words they use would get deleted here.
Which blacks? Name me some of them. And don't give me this stuff about these anonymous co-workers because i don't believe that anyway. I want some names that i recognize.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:48 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,918,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Which blacks? Name me some of them. And don't give me this stuff about these anonymous co-workers because i don't believe that anyway. I want some names that i recognize.
How about Floyd Mayweather saying "What he does a black dude does every night and nobody mentions it....so why should he get noticed for it??"

Do you feel the same way???

Why even say something like that???

Let me preface this by saying I KNOW that the Lin hype is purely based off him being an extreme minority in his respective sport. The media created the hype monster, because he is Asian...although they absolutely cannot say it. (One ESPN worker has been fired for such already)....

And the Asian demographic has totally galvanized to that monster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies