Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 02:45 PM

4,062 posts, read 2,141,661 times

Advertisements

I was thinking about people I know who get pregnant easily and people who have difficulty conceiving...and realized there seemed to be a pattern: that the lower IQ folks seemed to have greater fertility and the higher IQ/educated folks had problems. Researching this, it seems to be a fact. What I can't find is any scientific reasons why this might be?

And if lower IQ people breed more, doesn't that mean that the average IQ will drop?

Old 07-05-2013, 03:00 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,438,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
I was thinking about people I know who get pregnant easily and people who have difficulty conceiving...and realized there seemed to be a pattern: that the lower IQ folks seemed to have greater fertility and the higher IQ/educated folks had problems. Researching this, it seems to be a fact. What I can't find is any scientific reasons why this might be?

And if lower IQ people breed more, doesn't that mean that the average IQ will drop?
Could you please show us data to support this so we can comment? Maybe it isn't true at all. Is this conclusion really just an assumption?

Is it possible that what you are observing is lower socioeconomic people having higher numbers of kids? Maybe this is a cultural thing: more kids = social security?

Old 07-05-2013, 03:03 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,263,326 times
If it IS true, it's because having sex without thinking about contraception is pretty stupid.

Old 07-05-2013, 03:35 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,133,578 times
jazzcat22:

Actually, the average IQ will always be 100 (if I understand correctly, IQ is always measured relative to the average person). Average intelligence would go down.

Old 07-05-2013, 07:42 PM

4,062 posts, read 2,141,661 times
Checkmate, I think you are right---100 would be the average IQ.

Plmokn and tovarisch, as well as checkmate---obviously you are bright. I think it's great when people question and ask for verifiable facts instead of just believing what someone posts.

When I Google this, there is lots about higher IQs and reduced fertility and vice versa, but a lot of it just seems to be blogs which are simply people saying they have noted this correlation.

Here's an MD who runs a fertility program who mentions the correlation and says that there is no scientific explanation, but he hypothesizes the following:

Less intelligent women tend to get married at an earlier age, which gives them more time to procreate.
Education of women; studies have shown that women with higher education degrees have fewer children. This is due to the fact that a woman who attends college will spend some of her reproductive years studying and building a career.
Contraception availability; intelligent people are aware of their contraception options, while less intelligent people may ignore their options and may have unplanned children.
The income of the couple will also affect fertility: the higher the income, the lower incidence of children. Intelligent people may be able to get higher paying jobs.

Read more: Fertility and Intelligence | Fertilityproregistry.com

Old 07-05-2013, 07:53 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,137,128 times
My theory is the college educated career driven lady who waits until her fertility is all but gone is being compared to the person who , for one reason or other, has children in her upper teens and early to mid twenties. so the correlation is actually between age of parents than IQ of the parents. If all high IQ women were trying to have children early and all lower IQ women were trying to delay having children till their mid 30's the observation would be turned around.

Old 07-05-2013, 08:03 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,233,105 times
I don't think it's fertility as it is virility.

Old 07-05-2013, 08:11 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,841,664 times
peasant folk are more likely to be stupid, due to inherited genetics from their uneducated parents and grandparents - this is why they continue to breed more.

Old 07-05-2013, 08:18 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,498,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post

Many highly educated people chose to have children later in life and with that comes infertility problem.

Old 07-05-2013, 08:32 PM

6,230 posts, read 6,927,409 times
More educated persons spend their most fertile years studying/building careers. I suppose it's one or the other today.

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies