Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 01:07 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,315,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
There you go.

Unless you express your concern IN THIS THREAD, using correct language and appropriate depth and emotion, it means you have none.

And you become a target.

kshe95girl said so, so it must be true.

I think when you title a thread simply telling of a tragedy, and then your opening post is essentially, "Its the Liberals fault"....

I think you open yourself up to a little scrutiny.

You disagree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 01:19 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,123,838 times
I think Tim Wise sums it up best:

"Most whites live in a state of self-delusion. We think danger is black or brown, not to mention poor, and if we can just move far enough away from “those people,” we’ll be safe. If we can just find an “all-American” town, life will be better, because “things like this just don’t happen here.”

Tim Wise » School Shootings and White Denial

Old 02-27-2012, 01:21 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,123,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
the real question is why some kids have so much emotional problems that they either take their own lives or someone elses
I would swear that you would have said welfare, multiculturalism and liberal policies...

But you are right this a small "rural" community just like mine... 4,000 +/-, or course I'm not sure how being 1.5 miles from Philadelphia and not a cornfield in between makes us rural just based upon population, but your right Chardon has trees separating it from Plainsville, Ohio.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:22 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,356,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
To be sure.

After all, look back to the 1940s and 1950s, when there were virtually no laws restricting guns at schools, and kids used to bring their .22s to school and leave them in their lockers until it was time to participate in the school's shooting club after school. We all know how many more of this kind of school shootings there were then, compared to now.

(Hint: there were far FEWER.)

It's amazing how many lies and fabrications like "Too many guns means too many deaths" the gun-haters come up with, trying to pretend their agenda is true!
Sorry, but "kids" didn't take their guns to school then, even in the wilds of Kansas. For the few schools that had a shooting club, they didn't bring their own guns in.
We had a rifle team (in the early 60's), but the guns were kept by the school, and were never carried outside of the range other then to shooting competition.

Maybe others have a more vivid version of that time period.

Last edited by plannine; 02-27-2012 at 01:55 PM..

Old 02-27-2012, 01:22 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,869,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post

"Most whites live in a state of self-delusion. We think danger is black or brown, not to mention poor, and if we can just move far enough away from “those people,” we’ll be safe. If we can just find an “all-American” town, life will be better, because “things like this just don’t happen here.”

That's a great statement coming from a guy who claims to be an anti-racist and writes books about being color blind.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:25 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,788,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Beebe View Post
Easy access to guns. It's the price we pay for "freedom"...and often, it's a high price.
Back when I was driving to high school in the 1970's we would go duck hunting before school and leave the shotguns and ammo in the trunk. This was before it was a crime to bring a gun within 1000 ft of a school. I would say at anyone time during hunting season there were lots of guns/ammo in cars and trucks at school. Oh yeah this was a city school also not some backwoods podunk.

Never had problems with school shootings. Ever.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:25 PM

15,896 posts, read 12,016,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
although the story reads as suburban...I would not describe a town of 5k as suburban....

the real question is why some kids have so much emotional problems that they either take their own lives or someone elses

Chardon while small still is considered a Cleveland suburb. Well, maybe more of an exurb. At any rate, there are inner ring suburbs in the Cleveland area such as places like North Randall that have only about 500 people.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:29 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,201,599 times
Quote:
Well because I'm not particularly interested in discussing this particular incident but rather why these incidents occur in such nice communities where people seem to believe that these sorts of incidents don't occur in nice neighborhoods despite this being almost an annual event in "nice neighborhoods."
Perhaps they're not so nice, as your sarcastiquotes would imply.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:30 PM

27,724 posts, read 16,226,947 times
Quote:

Looks like you already had "your" answer to your OP question. Isn't this what they call "trolling"

Old 02-27-2012, 01:31 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,788,480 times
Quote:

I have no problem profiling whites, blacks, yellows, browns, reds or any other human color group.

Certain groups have more of a tendency to do things than other groups. Its a long known fact of human existence.

I believe it has to do more with outlawing fist fighting after school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies