Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 08:37 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,123,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I like the idea of a jammer. I wonder if there is one that would simply scramble which caller was hooked to which receiver. That would make some of the conversations a bit more interesting.
That would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 08:39 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,173,113 times
There is an easy way to handle people who are obnoxious when they are on the phone, Gather around, and contribute to the conversation. LOL

Old 03-02-2012, 08:48 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,666,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
Well, if you were talking with a reasonable volume then I would support you. However, if you were a loudmouth I would support the guy jamming the phone (even though it's illegal).

I do agree though if the guy wants complete quiet, he should drive his own car.
I've been told over and over again by people that I'm loud, my voice is deep and carries. That I have a voice for radio. I'm the kinda guy who can have a conversation with someone right next to me at the back of the bus and some old lady at the very front will hear more than she wants. I'm not trying to be a jerk mind you, I don't realize I'm doing it. Maybe it's because I'm slightly hard in hearing or I'm big (6'6" 250 lbs) but I just don't have a 6" voice. If you do jam me, you'll get a lot more problems from me and it won't be worth it trust me than just putting up with the 10 minute ride. If you ask nicely to be quieter, I'll try.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:54 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,962,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
Vigilante jamming cell phone calls on city buses to help preserve peace and quiet | Technology News Blog - Yahoo! News

Personally, if he does this ONLY when people are loud and obnoxious on the phone, I like it. I know it's against the law but who hasn't been next to some inconsiderate loudmouth jerk blabbing on the phone?
It is an infringement on liberties. What he is essentially doing is going out into the public and forcing them to appeal to his expectations of how that interaction should be. I sympathize with his complaint, many people act in manners to which I find completely inappropriate in public, yet my right to resolve such is limited to the avoidance of such occurrences when I encounter them.

His liberty does not extend to the removal of the liberty of another.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:32 AM

802 posts, read 1,322,514 times
This man is my hero........LOL

Old 03-02-2012, 09:35 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,770,534 times
When more than one person talks on the phone, one might feel the need to speak louder than the others in order to be understood by the one on the phone. That might start a little voice race

But some people seem outright anti-social, they have no feeling for what is appropriate in which situation and when they are becoming a pain in the ear.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:37 AM

20,728 posts, read 19,388,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
If he did it to me I'd confiscate his jammer. He wants peace and quiet taking a ****ing car.

So anything goes eh? Very well, I'd confiscate your socks and make use of them as a "jammer".

Old 03-02-2012, 09:37 AM

1,410 posts, read 2,141,286 times
I'm glad that the young generation is more taken with texting for silences sake (driving is a whole nother story though). Anymore, IME, the biggest offenders of 'cell yell' are the elderly. Even more annoying is when they put their cell phone on speaker so I have to hear the whole damned boring conversation whether I want to or not! Just yesterday, while waiting for the bus, this old man was talking so loud on his cell phone about death and the grieving process (I think his mother had recently died) and his therapy sessions. This kind of stuff is just too personal to be broadcasting and it makes me feel like everyone thinks the whole world is their own personal phone booth. For that reason, I miss phone booths.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:42 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,770,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temazepam View Post
I'm glad that the young generation is more taken with texting for silences sake (driving is a whole nother story though). Anymore, IME, the biggest offenders of 'cell yell' are the elderly. Even more annoying is when they put their cell phone on speaker so I have to hear the whole damned boring conversation whether I want to or not! Just yesterday, while waiting for the bus, this old man was talking so loud on his cell phone about death and the grieving process (I think his mother had recently died) and his therapy sessions. This kind of stuff is just too personal to be broadcasting and it makes me feel like everyone thinks the whole world is their own personal phone booth. For that reason, I miss phone booths.
Some old people don't need a phone to get on people's nerves

Maybe one should simply start talking about the content one is forced to hear, as if they were talking to you. Maybe that interference would **** them off and they would shut up I mean, is there any law that says you may not talk to or about someone who is not talking to you?

But I am already happy these days when people don't have that annoying Teló ringtone on their phone

Old 03-02-2012, 09:45 AM

1,410 posts, read 2,141,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
People still talk on their cell phones? I usually see them staring on the screen as if the world around them did not exist.
This happens to me in bars if men go in there by themselves. Used to be that people went to bars to meet new people if they weren't already going there as a date or to hang out with their friends. Can't really meet new people if they're too busy fiddling around with their gadgets.

Where do you get these jammers anyway? Do they really exist? I want one! I haven't been able to shop in peace in grocery or discount stores for at least 10 years. These people are so hooked on their phones. It's one thing if it's something important like a business call or an "I'll be running late" or "I got lost - how do I get there?", but about 80% of the time, it's just trivial jibberjabber.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies