Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When SHOULD America pull her troops out of Iraq? Please post some comments...
Pull Them Out Immediately 28 50.91%
When Our Military Decides. 11 20.00%
When Our President Decides. 2 3.64%
When Our Congress Decides. 4 7.27%
When the Iraq Government Decides. 3 5.45%
When Iran and Syria Decide... 1 1.82%
When the terrorists decide. 1 1.82%
When the Iraqi People Decide. 7 12.73%
When Options 2, 3, 4, 5 and especially Option 8 are met... 8 14.55%
NOT SURE 1 1.82%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 12:01 AM

3,301 posts, read 6,327,610 times

Advertisements

What do polls outside this poll say?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2007, 04:23 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,694,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHarvester View Post
That's your opinion. Here's another opinion:

I don't understand how anyone can claim to know what we should do in Iraq. As of this post, I'm still the only person who voted NOT SURE in this poll.

If other people are so sure, then why are so many people in disagreement? To me, a contentious issue is a sign of uncertainty. How can any of you be certain that the surge is working, or the invasion was a good idea, or that we should leave immediately?

The situation is extremely complex and nobody knows what will happen no matter WHAT we do. The main lesson I take away from this war is that the USA is too heavily tied to global corporate interests and we're still behaving like an empire. We don't have the right to invade other nations for the sake of pleasing corporate interests, even if we have plausible excuses rooted in scare tactics about "protecting national security." Aside from that, I don't know what to make of it all. I wish we'd stop going to war. I wish people would vote for one of the following candidates:
Ron Paul
Barak Obama
Dennis Kucinich

We need leadership that isn't driven by imperial ambitions and corporate welfare. We need to stop believing the hype that is spoon-fed to us about how our government is protecting us from foreign enemies. We need to take responsibility for the fact that the USA has provoked much of the rage that exists in the world towards our government. We need to look at the world through multiple perspectives instead of focusing on America First as though nobody else matters.
And what corporate interest provided us incentive to invade Iraq?

Old 09-13-2007, 10:36 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,769,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
And what corporate interest provided us incentive to invade Iraq?
This is just my poorly-informed opinion, but I think that American corporate/economic interests have been driving our foreign policy for a few decades and for a number of complex interconnected reasons.

The big picture view is about "bringing all nations into the global economy" --- and I'm not judging that, just saying it. I'm open to the possibility that a global economy run by ginormous corporations would be more stable and peaceful than any other feasible system.

On the other hand, in the process of trying to "spread democracy, secure American interests" and other such noble-sounding motives, we're behaving like imperialists. Iraq wasn't a logical target for invasion and we're living with the results of a bad decision.

I've evaded your specific question thus far because I don't think there is a direct connection. I don't think Halliburton or Exxon or Lockheed is responsible for our decision to invade. I do think that they've all contributed to a paradigm that creates the type of thinking that leads us to make decisions such as the invasion of Iraq. The global corporate system gives rise to certain ideologies that support certain decisions, it's not a simple "X causes Y" equation.

If anyone could provide a simple answer, we'd all know it and we'd be in agreement. The tremendous variation of viewpoints about Iraq is evidence of the complexity of the situation. And that's why I stand by my statement than none of us knows what the "correct action" would be now that we're already occupying that nation. I have no clue. All of us have valid points of view and yet most of us disagree with each other. That tells me that we're up against a seriously messy policy issue and we shouldn't be too quick to trumpet our own point of view as "the truth."

Old 09-13-2007, 12:17 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,795,499 times
If we go there will be trouble....but if we stay there will be double.

Come on and let us know...should we cool it or should we blow?

Old 09-13-2007, 02:10 PM

165 posts, read 564,200 times
Default The Iraqi people have decided!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudCapMarine View Post
POLL: SHOULD WE STAY OR SHOULD WE GO...

The Surge is working. When SHOULD America pull her troops out of Iraq?
The Iraqi's in power want us to stay in order to prop them up, but the Iraqi people want us to go now.

C.

Old 09-24-2007, 08:59 PM

3,301 posts, read 6,327,610 times
According to Defeatcrats' polls, I heard that over 70% of Americans want the US to leave Iraq immediately.

Somehow, I think these Defeatcrats are lieing. I bet these polls can only be found on Defeatcrat websites.

Old 09-24-2007, 09:32 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
According to Defeatcrats' polls, I heard that over 70% of Americans want the US to leave Iraq immediately.

Somehow, I think these Defeatcrats are lieing. I bet these polls can only be found on Defeatcrat websites.

I think our withdrawal from Iraq has been delayed by Dubya's many vacations to Crawford where he holds wild, whiskey swilling orgies. I bet I can back my thought with as much factual basis as you can yours.

Old 09-24-2007, 10:19 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,462,246 times
Quote:
Somehow, I think these Defeatcrats are lieing.

Thanks so much for freeing that intimate thought from your macho yet sensitive bosom, but WE ALREADY FIGURED THAT ONE OUT!

Old 09-24-2007, 10:38 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,548,273 times
Quote:

Nope. It is what reality looks like.

Turns out the people have better sense than the folks they put in charge.

Time to wake up and stop dreaming.

Need some coffee to get over the whiny hangover?

Anyway I do not see what your surprise is? You have been through this game before, no? Seems like you would learn it sooner or later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies