Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2012, 11:03 AM

1,720 posts, read 1,316,816 times

Advertisements

Deficits, Debt, "Printing" Money & Higher Inflation

As with asset deflation, when it comes to monetary inflation, there are powerful and unfortunate differences between the 1970s and now.
The Federal government has had its credit rating downgraded because it is borrowing an amount equal to almost 10% of the total economy each year, with no end in sight, to fund ever-growing government promises. As documented in my article, "Six Layers Of Deficit Impossibilities" (linked here), the current national debt amounts to $152,000 per able-to-pay US household, and the total amount owed increases to $640,000 per household when we include unfunded US government promises to future retirees.
The global financial system is being kept from collapse only by the direct creation of trillions of dollars and euros which are being passed to financial institutions and other favored corporate insiders on non-market terms.

Impossible promises to retirees and government bond buyers from effectively bankrupt governments are all too likely to be repaid with inflation. If we assume not the historical 65% destruction of the value of money - but a 90% destruction (which is consistent with the Federal Reserve's creating dollars by the trillions out of thin air), then a dollar becomes worth ten cents.
As shown below, if a dollar is worth ten cents, then the Dow must rise (in nominal terms) to 36,000, in order for it to be worth 3,600 in real terms.

The blue in the graph represents reality, with the purchasing power of our investments dropping 70% from our starting point on the left, to our ending point on the right. However, when we include the "Illusion Of Inflation" in the column on the right, and we combine 70% asset deflation with 90% dollar destruction - then we get Dow 36,000.

From: Deadly Dow 36,000 & The Secret History Of A 70% Market Loss by Daniel R Amerman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 11:12 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
If we can keep the Magic Money Game operating for another 30 years I'll be fine.

I suggest a book titled "Debt: the fFirst 5,000 Years" but I don't remember the author's name. He points out that in modern economies Debt = Money and to pay off the debt would result in complete economic collapse.

Last edited by GregW; 03-14-2012 at 11:21 AM..

Old 03-14-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
If we can keep the Magic Money Game operating for another 30 years I'll be fine.
Don't think so. I think we're at the end game now. If they can make it another 5 years to 2017-2018 without another major dislocation I'd be shocked. But I'm not that smart so we'll see.

The only reason we've made it this far is the U.S. Dollar is still the international currency but that's changing and could change in a hurry if we mess with Iran and China, Russia and the BRIC decide to make their own rules.

Most fiat currencies only last 30-35 years. We're well past that but the Dollar is also the only option for the world right now. Although other countries are trying to swithch to gold.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post

I suggest a book titled "Debt: the fFirst 5,000 Years" but I don't remember the author's name. He points out that in modern economies Debt = Money and to pay off the debt would result in complete economic collapse.
Exactly, people don't get it. If there is interst owed on every dollar "borrowed" into existence, which there is, than there is always more money owed than in circulation. Ergo, it's impossible for everyone to pay off their debts. Mathematically impossible.

But the first users of newly printed money like the banks and favored corporations get to use the maximum value of the new dollars since they're the first to spend them into the economy before they lose further value. While they're spending the next new batch of fresh fiat the middle class and workers are the last to get their hands on the freshly created money so they're hurt the worse and feel most of the brunt of inflation.

The whole system is criminal fraud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies