Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 12:22 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,021,070 times

Advertisements

I hope your not expecting any "peak" times this summer or your new smart meter will be shutting off your AC or your heat come winter. Gotta get the windmills going and mirrors all over so Obama's cronies can make millions and sit back in their mansions.

The three plants produce 660 megawatts and about 3-percent of FirstEnergy's total generation. In recent years, the plants served as "peaking facilities" and generated power during times of peak demand for power.
The plants operated under subsidiary Monongahela Power. Mon Power recently finished a study of unscrubbed coal fired plants in the system to determine the potential impact of the most recent environmental regulations from EPA. Company officials determined the EPA's Mercury and Air Toxics Standards (MATS) made it unfeasible to retrofit or continue operating the three plants.
“The high cost to implement MATS and other environmental rules is the reason these Mon Power plants are being retired,” said James R. Haney, regional president of Mon Power and president of West Virginia Operations for FirstEnergy.
The announcement follows an announcement from First Energy last month that six coal fired plants in Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Maryland would also be retired. All of those plans are due to be off line and shut down by September 1, 2012.

Three Coal Power Plants Closing - West Virginia Headline News and Talk Radio (http://www.wvmetronews.com/index.cfm?func=displayfullstory&storyid=50837&type - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 12:26 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
So, what's the problem? I'm not seeing a problem here.

Old 02-11-2012, 12:27 PM

Many more to follow. Maybe you have no problem with no electricity to charge your electric car but the greenies will be out screaming at the moon when it comes to that. It will be very funny to watch too.

Old 02-11-2012, 12:30 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,080,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Note this:

Quote:
The three plants produce 660 megawatts and about 3-percent of FirstEnergy's total generation. In recent years, the plants served as "peaking facilities" and generated power during times of peak demand for power.
If there is nothing to replace their generating capacity during peak usage then the lights go out. That would be a problem, yes?

Old 02-11-2012, 12:34 PM

1,436 posts, read 3,303,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
If there is nothing to replace their generating capacity during peak usage then the lights go out. That would be a problem, yes?
I don't think so as most libs are in the dark already.....

Old 02-11-2012, 12:39 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,966,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Of course you don't. Higher electricity costs are no big deal...obama said so in 2008...his energy policy would result in skyrocketing costs AND would bankrupt the coal industry.

Do you realize how much energy is provided by coal?

Old 02-11-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Note this:

Yea, it would, except that it won't.

You'll all have your electricity folks. Calm down, pour yourselves a glass of Merlot, and relax. Nothing to see here.

Old 02-11-2012, 12:41 PM

Yes of course the government will provide for all. LOL. You folks are a lost bunch.

Old 02-11-2012, 12:53 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,060,763 times
These are old regulations that they stopped getting exemptions from for the past decade, and there were a number more that lost the exemption status. Regulations to stop pumping out substances like mercury, cadmium and lead into the air to be breathed in by people downwind or precipitated out into the water supply to be drunk. They were operated long past their life expectancy and had decades long standing court cases ordering them to be shut down.

If you want to breathe that crap in fine, but personally if I have to pay a few more cents (god forbid a dollar) so I'm not breathing in heavy metals I'm fine with it. You are more then welcome to move to places where these heinous regulations are not in place and draw a long nice gulp of air.

I can't believe anyone would be defending a companies right to pollute their air with pretty toxic chemicals. Well, I could see it if some one was so against government regulations it affected their cognitive abilities or are not smart enough to understand the effects of heavy metals.

Old 02-11-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Yes of course the government will provide for all. LOL. You folks are a lost bunch.
"You folks?"

I buy my power from a private electrical power provider....just like you do.

So how does that make me lost?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies