Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 11:52 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,057,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
While I don't disagree with your point, the problem I see, is that one can find whatever data they want as it points to their point of view. Someone on here can find all the "info" on the side of the pipeline that they want either pro or con, yet when someone with actual experience tries to tell them something, they poo-poo it as crap. I had a big discussion here about the number of welders it would take to weld 1600 miles of pipe. He read somewhere "100." Even produced a link. I couldn't produce a link, because honestly, each and every project is different, and there are too many variables. I still don't know if he knows that that "link" was pure bunk and in no way truthful.
I think you are confusing facts with opinion. Treating them as the same thing is incorrect.

Some one provided a link to an estimation in some one's opinion how many it would take. Even though it is a guess, it is dependent on the person who made the estimation's ability. If it was an engineer with 20 years experience in doing these projects it would have more weight then some one flashing their privates in traffic and talking to the voices in their head. It is still an estimation, because if people knew the future then there would be no need for words like "guess" and "estimations".

What was provided was quantifiable facts. You could quantify the amount produced each year, by what company, and where it was produced. Independently verified by company records (which if false would lead to jail time), auditors and regulators.

You are correct that you can provide external references to people saying anything. There are many different types of "data" that can be provided, and many different ways people can use them. Some correct, many fallacies. You need to be discriminating what is valid and what is not, it is part of being a logical human being.

It does take more effort then simple belief, but you tend not to believe BS as often.

Stating some one provided an opinion in estimation that no one knew is correct does not invalidate everything people state. Simply because some one states they think dog crap cures typhoid fever and posting it on the internet...doesn't invalidate that the proven (through medical trials and patient records) cure of antibiotics.

Last edited by subsound; 03-11-2012 at 12:02 PM.. Reason: bah, better flow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 11:57 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,082,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
I think you are confusing facts with opinion. Treating them as the same thing is incorrect.

Some one provided a link to an estimation in some one's opinion how many it would take. Even though it is a guess, it is dependent on the person who made the estimation's ability. If it was an engineer with 20 years experience in doing these projects would have more weight then some one flashing their privates in traffic and talking to the voices in their head.It is still an estimation, because if people knew the future then there would be no need for words like "guess" and "estimations".

*snipped
LMAO Jebus,we must be related

Old 03-11-2012, 12:22 PM

7,506 posts, read 5,753,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
The US public gets a few temporary jobs and all of the environmental risk.
Now, before you post something like this again.. Research Alaska's oil pipe line and the number of jobs it creates to maintain it.. Then, and only then, come back and post your findings. You'll see that your statement was totally incorrect and uniformed.

Old 03-11-2012, 02:43 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,165,778 times
$5.00 gas is bad enough ,with another year of Obama it could go so much higher. Then this nation will be in a deep depression when getting to work eats most of your paycheck.

So many people commute to the larger cities around this nation and with higher gas prices, that money will not be going into the economy , it will be going to OPEC.

Old 03-11-2012, 04:22 PM

5,756 posts, read 3,999,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiScree View Post
Tinfoil hat much? I remember paying well over $4 a gallon under Bush. Still only $3.20 'round these parts.

This is what I'm talking about. Republicans don't think this way; conservatives do.

Huge difference.

Maybe what I should be focusing on is killing the social conservatism in the Rupublican party. Sometimes you have to face the problems of our nation with logic and let God (I don't believe in him personally) take a back seat to furthuring our great nation in education and human rights.
$4.16 PREM. $3.95 REG. HERE IN THESE PARTS TALK ABOUT TIN FOIL AND RAINBOWS....

Old 03-11-2012, 05:11 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,139,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
Now, before you post something like this again.. Research Alaska's oil pipe line and the number of jobs it creates to maintain it.. Then, and only then, come back and post your findings. You'll see that your statement was totally incorrect and uniformed.
The construction jobs will be temporary but yes the maintenance jobs will be permanent. They won't, however, be anywhere near the 1 million touted in the oil company commercial. It still isn't enough to justify the danger to the environment or the fact that the only real benefactors are the oil companies. This will have no impact on our gas prices.

Old 03-11-2012, 06:03 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,835,178 times
Threads like this crack me up. You can look at numbers. Then you realize, gee, I said they weren't doing nothin', didn't I? Then you hit reply on the post and say, "Man, i was really talking out my *** on that one guys!," "Look how wrong I was."

No. That doesn't happen much around here. Let's just keep saying they aren't doing nothing and start more threads about how Obama sucks and is killing U.S. oil production..... Yeah, That's what we'll do.

Old 03-11-2012, 06:15 PM

521 posts, read 860,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
$4.16 PREM. $3.95 REG. HERE IN THESE PARTS TALK ABOUT TIN FOIL AND RAINBOWS....
Using caps lock doesn't make the words mean anything more or less than they already do.

What does your post even mean? If you could back it up with some intelligence (not saying you don't have any) and logic (ditto), I'd appreciate it so I can respond to something coherent.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:42 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,999,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiScree View Post
Using caps lock doesn't make the words mean anything more or less than they already do.

What does your post even mean? If you could back it up with some intelligence (not saying you don't have any) and logic (ditto), I'd appreciate it so I can respond to something coherent.
You go off about $4.00 gas during Bush's time in office [it was his fault]when gas is the highest I have ever seen here now and its not Obama's fault? If I am a tinfoil hat you must have blinders on.

I was just qouting the price of gas here in capital letters evidently you don't look at gas station prices on their big signs that say PREM. REG. in abbreviations.

You talk of intelligence and logic then leave captions that are insulting enough not to get into trouble with the Mod's...cute

Old 03-12-2012, 05:53 AM

1,332 posts, read 994,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
They have no game,so they try to steal other people's game....gotta love those GOP gomers.
And by 'game' you mean the continuous running up of the debt with no plan to pay it down?

Gotta love you liberal dopes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies