Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2012, 05:31 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,143,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
That had a lot to do with high schools cranking out illiterates who cannot perform even basic math. At least by requiring a degree they figured they could expect the employee to be able to read but now with colleges being dumbed down, many college graduates also are functionally illiterate.
Spot on! Anyone who works with the general public can tell you this. While working at the bank, I've seen people who had college degrees who can't balance a checkbook. Basic skill which should have been taught in Junior high or at least in a basic consumer ed class in high school.

I've got another thought in all this... what about the co-signers? On the one small loan my son got for his college education, we had to co-sign. All these kids who now can't pay, where are the parents (co-signer's) in all this? Even if he being young didn't realize all the legalities of signing a promissory note, as his parents we did. If he were to default, I guarantee Sallie-Mae would be coming after it from us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 06:43 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Spot on! Anyone who works with the general public can tell you this. While working at the bank, I've seen people who had college degrees who can't balance a checkbook. Basic skill which should have been taught in Junior high or at least in a basic consumer ed class in high school.

I've got another thought in all this... what about the co-signers? On the one small loan my son got for his college education, we had to co-sign. All these kids who now can't pay, where are the parents (co-signer's) in all this? Even if he being young didn't realize all the legalities of signing a promissory note, as his parents we did. If he were to default, I guarantee Sallie-Mae would be coming after it from us.
The problem with their huge debts is just more evidence of their inability to perform basic math. These kids graduated from high school and were accepted in to colleges but it's obvious they have no clue what $50,000 with interest means. These students did no research, no studying of job availability before choosing a field of study.

The universities are big business, making out like bandits over all this, many have zero admission requirements and are nothing more than degree mills. Now studies are coming out of the increasing illiteracy of college graduates -- next businesses will have to require masters degrees in hopes to find job candidates capable of reading.

I saw an example of this first hand, a college graduate had to use a pencil and paper to calculate the average between 1.44 and 1.46, she was able to add the two numbers together and divide by two and get the right average but was completely baffled when it came to rounding to either 1.4 or 1.5. Dawdled for a significant time and couldn't understand when someone told her to round up, she demanded to know why she was told to round up and in actuality it didn't really matter if she rounded up or down. This individual has a BS degree yet was stuck on a 3rd grade level skill.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:43 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
If we're going to give wall street trillions in tax money, why not give a bailout to the people?

Old 03-13-2012, 06:44 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
This will win the hearts and votes of anyone with a student loan.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:57 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,830,974 times
I'm generally not a fan of letting people off the hook for debts they incurred with their own sound minds. However the student loan problem, just like the housing loan crisis, seriously needs to be addressed. Colleges and banks have way too much power working together. They have taken advantage of quite a few people who don't understand basic finances and economics. Some colleges have flat out spread lies about salaries, job availability and adulthood success with a college degree. There was a time when this stuff didn't matter as much since people didn't need college degrees to get good jobs back in the day and those who did had a leg up on everybody else.

But it's ridiculous that so many graduates end up stuck in jobs they could've skipped college for and have all of this debt they can't afford to pay it off and they were flat out misled about what they could expect from life with a college degree.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:03 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
I'm generally not a fan of letting people off the hook for debts they incurred with their own sound minds. However the student loan problem, just like the housing loan crisis, seriously needs to be addressed. Colleges and banks have way too much power working together. They have taken advantage of quite a few people who don't understand basic finances and economics. Some colleges have flat out spread lies about salaries, job availability and adulthood success with a college degree. There was a time when this stuff didn't matter as much since people didn't need college degrees to get good jobs back in the day and those who did had a leg up on everybody else.

But it's ridiculous that so many graduates end up stuck in jobs they could've skipped college for and have all of this debt they can't afford to pay it off and they were flat out misled about what they could expect from life with a college degree.
Problem is -- who must pay for the huge loans these fools took out?

Why should some harder working more intelligent person who didn't take out a loan have to pay for the loans of those who didn't want to work their way through college or thought they were superior to those who learned trades?

Who has to pay?

Old 03-13-2012, 07:05 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
OK I want to know when they are going to give a bailout to the people that don't need a bailout ?
I WANT MINE TOO !!!!

Old 03-13-2012, 07:06 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,830,974 times
Quote:
Problem is -- who must pay for the huge loans these fools took out?

Why should some harder working more intelligent person who didn't take out a loan have to pay for the loans of those who didn't want to work their way through college or thought they were superior to those who learned trades?

Who has to pay?
The colleges who conned them should have to pay instead of building fancy huge offices for their less-than-stellar administrative staff. Ideally, I'd say the person who borrowed should pay. I paid mine even if it meant missing out on more expensive things. However that was for a measly associate's degree and not some business or law degree from some expensive school.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:09 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,143,759 times
Quote:
I saw an example of this first hand, a college graduate had to use a pencil and paper to calculate the average between 1.44 and 1.46, she was able to add the two numbers together and divide by two and get the right average but was completely baffled when it came to rounding to either 1.4 or 1.5. Dawdled for a significant time and couldn't understand when someone told her to round up, she demanded to know why she was told to round up and in actuality it didn't really matter if she rounded up or down. This individual has a BS degree yet was stuck on a 3rd grade level skill.
Another scary thing which goes with your story.... She probably does her own taxes... where rounding up or down is mandatory!

Old 03-13-2012, 07:12 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Any student should be able to start at a community college, evolve to a small to large state school and hold a part time job without accumulating tremendous debt. Tremendous debt is your dental, medical, Ivy league or private schools that cost a lot of money.

It's a choice. You can choose to not work and rack up big debt or be conservative, get a degree and graduate in a great position.

Why should I contribute to your $100k in debt to go to Harvard when you could stay at home and get a great degree from a local state school ?

Also, get a part time job and stop living off of a loan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies