Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2012, 09:33 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,331,786 times

Advertisements

I've come to the conclusion that most people everywhere are basically decent, but not nearly as intelligent creatures as we think we are. Humans are smart; the folly of humans is that we assume that due to our higher levels of consciousness, we're God-like. But we're not. We're nothing anywhere close to that. We're fatally flawed creatures hellbent on our own self-destruction. I wish I had the intelligence to do something other than respond to outrage with outrage, but I don't. As Socrates supposedly said ages ago, the only thing I know, is that I know nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 09:36 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,188,106 times
I understand German and use online German news resources. Recently, their news reported that their universal healthcare system has a financial surplus. Something like that would not be reported in US media. The US media wants Americans to believe that countries with universal healthcare are on the brink of collapse due to healthcare costs.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:59 AM

1,733 posts, read 1,822,710 times
Europeans are not smarter, but have a broader knowledge of other countries and issues. This is because this knowledge is far more useful in Europe, with a lot of countries near each other.

Americans are not stupid, but that knowledge is less relevant to life in America.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:00 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,847,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
I understand German and use online German news resources. Recently, their news reported that their universal healthcare system has a financial surplus. Something like that would not be reported in US media. The US media wants Americans to believe that countries with universal healthcare are on the brink of collapse due to healthcare costs.
Not ONE country or citizen in a country with a UHC is being bankrupted by their health system.... tell that to the citizens in the USA who have been made personally bankrupt by our health system and they will think you are lying.
The current health system in the USA is broken beyond repair. A health system that burdens employees and is not available to the poorer amongst us is NOT a health system but a money earning cash cow for the insurance companies.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:10 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,331,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Not ONE country or citizen in a country with a UHC is being bankrupted by their health system.... tell that to the citizens in the USA who have been made personally bankrupt by our health system and they will think you are lying.
The current health system in the USA is broken beyond repair. A health system that burdens employees and is not available to the poorer amongst us is NOT a health system but a money earning cash cow for the insurance companies.
There is simply no question that UHC is a superior system to the one that we have now. It defies logic (and belief) that ordinary people here cannot accept the truth about this, but it points to something I've noticed more and more about Americans in general. And that is, I think American education emphasizes highly specialized knowledge and "relevant" education. It does not emphasize broader knowledge -- not only about geography but about things like economics, politics, and history. People here really do not know a lot outside of what they see on their own televisions and what they individually select to read on the internet. There is no critical thinking here.

I'm quite sure that I could go to countries and find large populations of people who are similarly ignorant. However, I think what sets America apart among other industrialized nations is that you find this to be true among the more educated classes as well. It's astonishing the number of people here with what is purported to be a college education who still cannot analyze, cannot reason, and cannot be asked to do simple investigation of fact. I honestly think that it's more than just being brainwashed; I quite honestly think that it's because they seriously don't have these higher-level thinking skills, because the system of higher education here no longer demands them. Might have to do with the fact that, like you alluded to in the health care system, the higher education system functions as another revenue-generating operation rather than an actual public institution.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:15 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,285,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
The American media only reports on the negatives in Europe. Such as debt crisis.
On a daily basis what segment of broadcast news local, national, or otherwise do you think is not dedicated to the negative things that are occurring?

Is it the American media's responsibility to show the wonderful things occurring in Europe? Does the media in Europe typically show the wonderful things occurring in the US?

Quote:
Anyone who limits his view of the world to American media falls short of what is actually happening in the world.
Do you have studies backing this up?

Old 03-15-2012, 10:17 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,285,313 times
Quote:
Here we go........... "lefty propaganda"........... NO just intelligent thought.........
You certainly have intelligent thoughts but the one to which I made that comment was not one of them

Old 03-15-2012, 10:22 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,188,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
On a daily basis what segment of broadcast news local, national, or otherwise do you think is not dedicated to the negative things that are occurring?

Is it the American media's responsibility to show the wonderful things occurring in Europe? Does the media in Europe typically show the wonderful things occurring in the US?

Do you have studies backing this up?
The US media reports very little on international events. Exceptions are arab uprisings, Palestinian rockets into Israel, Greek debt problems.
The US (corporate) media only reports what corporations, the US military, and Israel want Americans to know. The news casters are all smiles, they trade quips, and have a merry time.
The lack of news is evident by Americans: Europe is overrun with muslims, the European (social) economy is about to collapse, etc.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:44 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,847,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
There is simply no question that UHC is a superior system to the one that we have now. It defies logic (and belief) that ordinary people here cannot accept the truth about this, but it points to something I've noticed more and more about Americans in general. And that is, I think American education emphasizes highly specialized knowledge and "relevant" education. It does not emphasize broader knowledge -- not only about geography but about things like economics, politics, and history. People here really do not know a lot outside of what they see on their own televisions and what they individually select to read on the internet. There is no critical thinking here.

I'm quite sure that I could go to countries and find large populations of people who are similarly ignorant. However, I think what sets America apart among other industrialized nations is that you find this to be true among the more educated classes as well. It's astonishing the number of people here with what is purported to be a college education who still cannot analyze, cannot reason, and cannot be asked to do simple investigation of fact. I honestly think that it's more than just being brainwashed; I quite honestly think that it's because they seriously don't have these higher-level thinking skills, because the system of higher education here no longer demands them. Might have to do with the fact that, like you alluded to in the health care system, the higher education system functions as another revenue-generating operation rather than an actual public institution.
I agree with you.
I don't think Americans are any less smarter than Europe but they are far more naive and open to brainwashing.
America is a country that has drawn up it's battle lines on every topic and it has become a nation of two halves. Democrat or Republican and the continual quest to convert the independents. This continual internal political war does nothing but harm the nation...... reasonable policies no longer exist but power struggles now dictate what bills are passed or not.
The affordable health bill is a small step towards getting a decent health system in America but the right say they want to repeal it..... No real reason to repeal it except to try to have something against Obama...... Most who want to repeal haven't even read it or know what the bill does but hey their lord and masters say it is a bad bill so why should they think for themselves?
Money is the key factor in what Americans are allowed.... the more money that can be made by the Elite the more they convince Americans that it is good for them.... no matter how much the evidence proves differently.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:46 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,166,733 times
Quote:
Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post

It's hard to pin down exactly what's happening, but it's not completely that reasoning and investigation aren't TAUGHT, it's more that the kids aren't interested in that stuff beyond what's needed to pass exams. There's a culture of RESPECT for intellectual thinking in Europe and Asian countries that simply isn't present here, in fact quite the opposite. I remember the last time I was taking courses in a college class ...... most of the students were po'd at me for doing so well as to ace most of the exams, and accused me of skewing the grading curve against them. But two immigrant students were very respectful and admired me for doing so well.

I think it's that willful disrespect for learning and critical thought that has made even educated Americans such easy prey for corporate-sponsored propaganda.

I have to say though, the recent decisions of even large corporations to drop Limbaugh (and who else, Beck?) is bucking the trend, and makes me very hopeful for the future. Maybe their boards and CEOs have increasingly been educated in other countries!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies