Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2012, 08:28 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post

I'm quite sure that I could go to countries and find large populations of people who are similarly ignorant. However, I think what sets America apart among other industrialized nations is that you find this to be true among the more educated classes as well. It's astonishing the number of people here with what is purported to be a college education who still cannot analyze, cannot reason, and cannot be asked to do simple investigation of fact. I honestly think that it's more than just being brainwashed; I quite honestly think that it's because they seriously don't have these higher-level thinking skills, because the system of higher education here no longer demands them. Might have to do with the fact that, like you alluded to in the health care system, the higher education system functions as another revenue-generating operation rather than an actual public institution.
Bottom line: If they agree with you, they are intelligent. If not, they are stupid and brain washed.

LOL. You are so predictable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 08:29 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Let's just state the facts... Europeans are basically dumbasses.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:42 PM

146 posts, read 306,437 times
You have to be one to know one ....right. Being raised in the UK and living here in the US for many, many years I have to conclude it is the poor education system in the US. You have to learn geography to even know where other countries in the world are. I believe every child at a certain age (lets say 12 years old) should have a madatory trip overseas just to experience other ways of life and thinking
" Broaden your Horizens" as I was often told.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
There are idiots in every country. Americans are no more brainwashed than any other country.
Yes , but the per capita of brainwashed appears to be greatly higher in the US.It worked well on you...right...

Old 03-15-2012, 09:47 PM

I wish I had the Dowager Countess from Downton Abbey to explain. I know she would w/ a wry grin.)

Old 03-15-2012, 09:49 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,242,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grammyR View Post
You have to be one to know one ....right. Being raised in the UK and living here in the US for many, many years I have to conclude it is the poor education system in the US. You have to learn geography to even know where other countries in the world are. I believe every child at a certain age (lets say 12 years old) should have a madatory trip overseas just to experience other ways of life and thinking
" Broaden your Horizens" as I was often told.

Just as bad in the UK buddy. Geography isn't exactly most people's strong pint either!

Old 03-16-2012, 02:45 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
Just as bad in the UK buddy. Geography isn't exactly most people's strong pint either!
I wouldn't mind a "strong pint" of London Pride right now....

One for you, as well, mate?

Old 03-16-2012, 03:53 AM

266 posts, read 179,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
If Europe is so brilliant, why are they imploding, have 100 year mortages and a major Muslim problem?

The OP's observation and their opinion is wrong IMO.
If America is so brilliant, why are we imploding, have 22% of our mortages under water and have a big illegal immigration problem?

Old 03-16-2012, 03:56 AM

266 posts, read 179,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Let's just state the facts... Europeans are basically dumbasses.
Let's just state the facts... Americans are basically dumbasses.

Last edited by Whateverhere; 03-16-2012 at 04:18 AM..

Old 03-16-2012, 04:17 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stateisota View Post
Every time I would travel to Europe I often noticed how well rounded and self aware mostly aware they were of political events. Now granted this is mostly experience with central European countries but it is similar to some varying degrees.

Overall most people seem to have a solid grasp on politics and people are often well informed and logical in their political decision making. This doesn't go to say people have disagreements or arguments but more often than not we don't have the political poo slinging we see here in the states.

Anyone want to share theories of why this is?

I personally believe firstly because our media plays much the population like puppets. MSNBC and Fox have the typical right and left wing bashing.

Secondly I think religious extremism plays the right wing more often to go out of line and make over the top statements. With religion not being widely practiced in Europe as it is in the USA we often have people thinking more logically and individually than hive minded through theological thoughts.

Another reason could be because of the fact European countries, Germany especially, have multiple popular political parties, forcing the population to become more agreeable rather than forcing to take one extreme side over another.

Overall I feel as though this is because of the lack of an extreme right wing in Europe. When I see rabble rousing in the states it is more often than not incited by extreme right wing groups making a very large deal or forcing issues down everyone's throats.

Anyone else care to share ideas?
Care to share data to substantiate Europeans are more well-rounded, "have a solid grasp on politics and people are often well informed and logical in their political decision making."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies