Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 04:10 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,049,999 times

Advertisements

I almost had to laugh when I read this article this afternoon. http://www.calgaryherald.com/opinion...699/story.html We've had a huge influx of Canadians buying up properties left and right (mostly left) and I guess now we know what our neighbors to the north are really thinking.
My only comment to this story manly because I don't want to write a book is that this writer and others who believe as she does need to remember the airplanes fly BOTH ways. Don't like what you see? Hop on and go back from whence you came.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 04:23 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,995,715 times
Yessir, the planes, trains, and busses go both ways, as do the highways.
The Canadians can just stay there if they don't like our laws.
As for "health care", I still don't understand why Canadians come to Great Falls and Kalispell for medical treatment if their health care is so good (my wife is a nurse, has worked in both hospitals in the past, and has taken care of Canadians, don't bother to say it doesn't happen!)
There has been, in the past, a huge influx of Canadians to Whitefish (a ski town, y'know). Nicely, most of them were smart enough to keep their mouths shut about the differences between Montana and Canada!
Luckily, land prices have increased to the point that the area isn't as attractive to them (and Californians) as it used to be.

Old 04-08-2013, 05:22 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,518,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Yessir, the planes, trains, and busses go both ways, as do the highways.
The Canadians can just stay there if they don't like our laws.
As for "health care", I still don't understand why Canadians come to Great Falls and Kalispell for medical treatment if their health care is so good (my wife is a nurse, has worked in both hospitals in the past, and has taken care of Canadians, don't bother to say it doesn't happen!)
There has been, in the past, a huge influx of Canadians to Whitefish (a ski town, y'know). Nicely, most of them were smart enough to keep their mouths shut about the differences between Montana and Canada!
Luckily, land prices have increased to the point that the area isn't as attractive to them (and Californians) as it used to be.
Yeah we know it happens, to the tune of lesss than .5%, but check this out:

Americans Filching Free Health Care in Canada - New York Times

Health outcomes often better in Canada than U.S.: review - Health - CBC News

Everydaymoney.ca is a daily business blog published by MSN Money

At least we're bringing money into your country and not a freeloading bunch of deadbeats grabbing the freebies of other countries like some down there. Eh?

Your health care systems so good how come in one 6 month period over 60,000 of you filed fraudulent claims in just one province alone. Think what we could to benefit our citizens with the extra 600 millions per year, in the province of Ontario alone, your deadbeats are costing us.

Now, about you also being the largest single group of people illegally working in Canada.

You got Mexicans and we got you. I'd say we're entitled to an opinion at least.

Ignorance is bliss.....right?

Old 04-08-2013, 05:28 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,037,743 times
I spend about 5 months a year at my summer cottage up in Canada, great place, great people, love it!

Oh and great fishing!!

Old 04-08-2013, 06:03 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,655,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Yeah we know it happens, to the tune of lesss than .5%, but check this out:

Americans Filching Free Health Care in Canada - New York Times

Health outcomes often better in Canada than U.S.: review - Health - CBC News

Everydaymoney.ca is a daily business blog published by MSN Money

At least we're bringing money into your country and not a freeloading bunch of deadbeats grabbing the freebies of other countries like some down there. Eh?

Your health care systems so good how come in one 6 month period over 60,000 of you filed fraudulent claims in just one province alone. Think what we could to benefit our citizens with the extra 600 millions per year, in the province of Ontario alone, your deadbeats are costing us.

Now, about you also being the largest single group of people illegally working in Canada.

You got Mexicans and we got you. I'd say we're entitled to an opinion at least.

Ignorance is bliss.....right?
Sure, everyones entitled to their opinion. Personally, I have never been to Canada, nor do I ever want to go. Not once, since I have been playing around on CD, have I ever offered an opinion on anything to do with Canada. or Canadians.

I can't care what Canadians think about us, or our firearms rights, but, I will say this: If Canadians want to live here, and hou are nervous about our armed citizens, you do have choices. I hear NYC, CT, CO and CA are veritable gun hater paradises. Yep, in a couple of the aforementioned locales, the only people with guns are cops and criminals. Should be Nirvana for hoplophobes. Canadian or otherwise.

Since I , in no way, have ever, nor will I ever, leech on Canadas' health system, or job market, I can opine all I wish, as to Canadians views on our Constitution. In a nutshell, I don't give a fart in a high wind, for Canadian disapproval about our 2A, and you'un's can just stay parked up north, and mind your own business. If US workers are taking jobs up there, with no shortage of local labor, I suggest you investigate the employers who hire them. It's not like a labor issue gives Canadians a mandate to criticize our firearms laws, anyway.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:18 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,970,297 times
Quote:
Glock 19s are sold out everywhere, but you can still get an AK-47

Read more: Klassen: Gun culture a shock for snowbirds

Is there a reason why foreign media and pro gun control articles and op-eds always obsess over AK-47s, as if that's the only gun available that's not a bolt action, pistol, shotgun, available in a caliber larger than .22??

Old 04-08-2013, 06:47 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,594,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Sure, everyones entitled to their opinion. Personally, I have never been to Canada, nor do I ever want to go. Not once, since I have been playing around on CD, have I ever offered an opinion on anything to do with Canada. or Canadians.

I can't care what Canadians think about us, or our firearms rights, but, I will say this: If Canadians want to live here, and hou are nervous about our armed citizens, you do have choices. I hear NYC, CT, CO and CA are veritable gun hater paradises. Yep, in a couple of the aforementioned locales, the only people with guns are cops and criminals. Should be Nirvana for hoplophobes. Canadian or otherwise.

Since I , in no way, have ever, nor will I ever, leech on Canadas' health system, or job market, I can opine all I wish, as to Canadians views on our Constitution. In a nutshell, I don't give a fart in a high wind, for Canadian disapproval about our 2A, and you'un's can just stay parked up north, and mind your own business. If US workers are taking jobs up there, with no shortage of local labor, I suggest you investigate the employers who hire them. It's not like a labor issue gives Canadians a mandate to criticize our firearms laws, anyway.
Do you think we need anyone's permission to diss on the land of crazy insanity???? LOL

Listen, coming from a country that has it's nose in everyone's business all of the time we Canadians just like to call the kettle black every once in a while.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:50 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,655,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post

Read more: Klassen: Gun culture a shock for snowbirds

Is there a reason why foreign media and pro gun control articles and op-eds always obsess over AK-47s, as if that's the only gun available that's not a bolt action, pistol, shotgun, available in a caliber larger than .22??
That is ...interesting, ain't it. The AK has become the poster child, for gun control freaks. The AR has been taking a lot of the heat off the AK lately, though.

The AK has been on the gun hater hit list for a lot lonver though. That all started with Patrick Purdy, and the Stockton school shooting. That resulted in the import ban, that scooped up a lot of different guns. HK, Steyer, Norinco, FN, all got banished. Even firearms that are not "assault" rifles were denied to American shooters. The Norinco model of the 1911A1 was taken out.

I bought one of the latter before the import ban went down, just a lucky break. I ended up building off the frame and slide, which are forged, and very good quality. Been using is for 21 years now, with tens of thousands of rounds fired. It was a shame, and totally stupid, to block imports of these pistols, but, Norinco made the AK to, so the Feds just blanketed all Norinco products. Guilt, by association, I guess.

Just goes to show, that politicians and their anti 2A pets, don't need to have any actual facts or real knowledge to hammer on our rights.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:55 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,518,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post

Well you see here's the other side of that coin; the O/P takes an article piece written by one person offers it up as a canadian country-wide opinion.

Then what happens? Some jump on that original silly post and treat it like the whole of Canada has that opinion about your stupid gun laws. Most of us up here don't give a rat's azz about your gun follies.

Like yourself I couldn't care less if you all walk around strapped. Neither could the majority of Canadians. We don't spend time thinking about your guns or you for that matter. We have guns too, nearly as many per capita as yourselves but predominantly long guns.

Funny you didn't read one wit about anything in my post regarding your vaunted 2nd Amendment did you, but that still didn't stop you from spouting as though I did.

You tell me to mind my own business but YOU people give us the right to chat about it because you attribute an individuals opinion to that of the whole of Canada.

I responded in kind, nothing more or less.

Not like you even bothered to break us down into two stubborn and opposed camps like righties and lefties, Dem's or Pub's or even liberals or conservatives with polar opposite views. You went after ALL of us.

Last edited by BruSan; 04-08-2013 at 07:47 PM..

Old 04-09-2013, 07:16 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,049,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Well you see here's the other side of that coin; the O/P takes an article piece written by one person offers it up as a canadian country-wide opinion.

Then what happens? Some jump on that original silly post and treat it like the whole of Canada has that opinion about your stupid gun laws. Most of us up here don't give a rat's azz about your gun follies.

Like yourself I couldn't care less if you all walk around strapped. Neither could the majority of Canadians. We don't spend time thinking about your guns or you for that matter. We have guns too, nearly as many per capita as yourselves but predominantly long guns.

Funny you didn't read one wit about anything in my post regarding your vaunted 2nd Amendment did you, but that still didn't stop you from spouting as though I did.

You tell me to mind my own business but YOU people give us the right to chat about it because you attribute an individuals opinion to that of the whole of Canada.

I responded in kind, nothing more or less.

Not like you even bothered to break us down into two stubborn and opposed camps like righties and lefties, Dem's or Pub's or even liberals or conservatives with polar opposite views. You went after ALL of us.
Actually if you read the title of the thread not to mention the OP itself I believe I made it clear when I said "this writer and others who believe as she does".
One would think there's got to be at least a few who believe as she does since 1.The editor published it. 2. She must have a following or she wouldn't have a column 3. Many comments abound all over this board from seemingly like minded Canadians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies