Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 06:44 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,034,703 times

Advertisements

Some people go to the extreme with "prepping" I will not deny that. However, having beyond the recommend survival supplies is not uncommon. I wish I had more put away for winter weather than I did one particular year. It snowed more than a foot (I know, laughable to some, but in SC it was a big deal). We were without power or access to grocery stores for a week and a half. We had enough food to cook on our propane grill, thankfully, however we had to stretch for the last few days. At least we still had running water. Could have been much worse, and because of that I tend to keep plenty of food and water to keep us going for at least a month.

As for bunkers, tricked out 4x4 trucks, hordes of ammo, etc... That is not really what we saw as being practical. People are more willing to help each other out than you might think; diaster can bring people together not separate them into bunkers and constant fighting. There are, however, exceptions to everything (i.e. New Orleans after Katrina).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 08:41 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
I've watched a few episodes of Doomsday Preppers, and I'm appalled at the lengths people go to prepare for a catastrophe. Why are people doing this? Are any of you preppers?
Please do not malign survivalists by referring to them as "preppers."

Preppers are morons, but I am personally very grateful for their stupidity....they will give survivalists a chance to set up and get operational before The Hordesâ„¢ come.

The sacrifice of preppers will not be in vain.

Quote:
What are the chances of an event happening?
You tell me.

Understand that as survivalists, we are planning for Armageddon, not a damn tornado.

The geologic history shows quite clearly that every ~10,000 years there is a major asteroid impact on Earth. The last such impact took place 12,000 years ago as is responsible for the extinction of all large mammals (giant sloths, giant bears, mastodons, mammoths sabre-tooth tigers et al); the destruction of civilization in North America causing wide-spread death of the population groups living here; and caused major tsunamis in the world's oceans --- what most people erroneously refer to as "Flood Myths."

This asteroid (possibly a comet) was either broken apart by gravitational forces prior to entering the Earth's atmosphere, or broke up upon entering the atmosphere (most likely). The pieces of the asteroid are also responsible for creating the Carolina Bays, and for the destruction of the entire Western Ice Sheet in Antarctica.

Doctor Richard Firestone of Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory can tell you more about it.

A repeat occurrence could literally happen any day now, and you're not going to get a lot of warning.

An asteroid of 400 meters or larger could induce a "Nuclear Winter" lasting six months or longer --- the larger the asteroid the longer the Nuclear Winter --- that would choke the food supply or reduce it to nothing.

Mount Pinatubo in the Philippines put more CO2 in the atmosphere than all of humankind during its entire existence. That wasn't a problem. What was a problem was the Sulfur and other particulate matter kicked into the upper atmosphere that caused the average global temperature to drop 1° F for a few years.

And that was a minor eruption in the grand scheme of things.

A larger eruption, up to an including a Toba-like Event, or one or more volcanoes out-gassing for an extended period -- say Pinatuba, Etna and one of the volcanoes on Iceland just starts spewing gases....no eruption....just gases, and it could create a Nuclear Winter.

The other issue would be Electromagnetic Pulse.

Roughly every ~150-200 years the Sun kicks off a massive X-Class Solar Flare accompanied by a proton storm where the protons have an energy greater than 30 MeV (million electron volts).

For those who are hard of hearing or daft, that's an X-Class Flare, not one of the other rinky-dinky flares. These are very powerful X-rays that will punch right through the atmosphere asymmetrically ionizing the atmosphere, and then the protons sail through the big hole unmolested and strike the Earth, creating both a vertical and horizontal field.

That will put most of the entire Northern Hemisphere into the Stone Age, and about 3 Billion people are going to die, and there ain't a damn thing anyone can do about it.

The last such event was 1859 --- the Carrington Event. You are now in a Solar Minimum, and when you come out, there is an high probability that a Carrington Event will occur --- seeing how these super powerful X-Class Flares come in large numbers after the Sun wakes up from its lulling slumber.

Then, of course, there's Nuclear EMP.

The US is a measly 4.5% of the world's population, yet consumes 25% of the world's oil, and 30% of the world's non-oil resources.

You don't have to be a Rhodes Scholar to figure out that if 300 Million of the 1 Billion Indians start living large like Americans, and 300 Million of the 1.5 Billion Chinese start living large like Americans, you have a really serious problem.

30% non-oil resources (US) + 30% non-oil resources (India) + 30% non-oil resources (China) = 90%

So, um, the other 5.9 Billion people on Earth....what do they get? The 10% that's left?

Dream on.

Americans can either voluntarily reduce their locust-Borg-like consumption of everything.....or the rest of the world will tire of the insanity and detonate a couple of 450 kiloton nuclear warheads about 60 miles above the surface......you'll never see it or hear it....but the US -- and parts of Canada and Mexico -- will be instantly relegated to the Stone Age.

Survivalists will survive.....preppers and everyone else will die.

Quote:
A widespread blackout is highly unlikely being that power companies have backup infrastructure in an event of a power outage.
No, they don't.....and your electrical power grid is woefully antiquated and out-dated.

Last I checked, it would take $3.2 TRILLION to modernize your electrical power grid.

Something tells me you'll never get around to spending the money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
I do not consider myself a survivalist/prepper because those wackos are almost always planning for the end of the world which is what moves them from sane people following sound disaster preparedness guidelines to mentally ill nutjobs who fervently hope and dream of becoming the next Mad Max.

Rational wiki perfectly describes why survivalist/preppers are nuts and why they're not just normal people dealing logically with fact based risk assessments.

Survivalism - RationalWiki
Nobody gives a damn what Pukipedia says....least of all me.

Uh, I would be embarrassed to tears to admit I was so pathetic I needed a television show to tell me to keep a flashlight on hand in case of severe weather, tornado or earthquake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
People are more willing to help each other out than you might think; diaster can bring people together not separate them into bunkers and constant fighting. There are, however, exceptions to everything (i.e. New Orleans after Katrina).
Not when Armageddon comes.

Even in the worst natural disaster, people know the rest of the world is still there and help is on the way.

The psychology of Armageddon is very different: the world is gone, and if it isn't, it doesn't matter because no help is coming.

Take the Carrington Event for example. You do understand that no one help will you, right?

It will take everything in their power for the governments of those countries in the Southern Hemisphere to feed and clothe their people, plus attend to their medical needs.

There will be no food to spare--- no clothes to spare -- no medicine to spare.

And none of that matters, because there's no way they can help. There aren't enough aircraft/cargo planes, and not enough ships -- and no one is going to send a ship unless then can send 10,000 troops along with it to protect it....and very few countries have amphibious capabilities.

But if you want to laugh at preppers and make sport of them, have at it....I certainly do.

Failing to plan is planning to fail.

You create a plan first, then once you have a plan, you "prep" in support of your plan. And if your plan doesn't include Collective Security with at least 40 people, then you'll get rolled by The Hordesâ„¢ on your first encounter with them.

And that will be really ugly. In fact, downright fugly.

That's what I like about "preppers" --- they're like post-Apocalyptic Wal-Marts for The Hordesâ„¢.

The Hordesâ„¢ will slaughter the "preppers" and take their preppy things.....which is fine with me, because like I said, survivalists have a plan, it just has to be executed, and the "preppers" will buy time with their lives to ensure the survivalists have sufficient time to get their plan into play.

Surviving....

Mircea

Old 02-09-2013, 11:04 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,035,277 times
Quote:
What are the chances of an event happening? A widespread blackout is highly unlikely being that power companies have backup infrastructure in an event of a power outage.
August, 2003

Old 02-09-2013, 11:14 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,601,522 times
Quote:
I've watched a few episodes of Doomsday Preppers, and I'm appalled at the lengths people go to prepare for a catastrophe. Why are people doing this? Are any of you preppers?
I'd like to be a prepper like this guy I saw on CNN the other night. I was very impressed.

Inside a Doomsday Prepper bunker – Anderson Cooper 360 - CNN.com Blogs

Old 02-10-2013, 03:11 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,228,924 times
I don't see the big issue with disaster preparation.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:21 AM

956 posts, read 745,254 times
Quote:
What are the chances of an event happening? A widespread blackout is highly unlikely being that power companies have backup infrastructure in an event of a power outage.
We lost power for a week a couple of years ago thanks to a tornado outbreak here in north Alabama, you would be amazed at the amount of people who only have food for a day. Gas lines , people lined up to get inside grocery stores with no power or refrigerated products, just total chaos. Had to have curfews at night thanks to looters and such. Yea, there is a need to be prepared! There is no backup infrastructure when the major power lines are gone.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:39 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,651,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unlblkrubi View Post
We lost power for a week a couple of years ago thanks to a tornado outbreak here in north Alabama, you would be amazed at the amount of people who only have food for a day. Gas lines , people lined up to get inside grocery stores with no power or refrigerated products, just total chaos. Had to have curfews at night thanks to looters and such. Yea, there is a need to be prepared! There is no backup infrastructure when the major power lines are gone.
I agree I didn't believe until I saw it. People get weird and things kind of break down quickly. Then people realize and get panicky.

Now for tin foil hat stuff.....

Does the government know something g is going to happen? Is this why they are "disarming" the public. Is this why homeland security was made and why they ordered 7000 ar-15s for defense and over a billion bullets(double what have been used in Iraq)

I am not saying its a conspiracy, but its aliens....

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Old 02-10-2013, 08:46 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,677,126 times
We're all set for the end of the world:

A bottle of champagne and two glasses...one for me, one for my wife.

A pistol and two bullets....one for me, one for my wife.

We're too old to start eating bugs and living in a hole in the ground...

Old 02-10-2013, 09:31 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Spending half a million dollars on a shelter, and depleting your families savings is stupid, and shows you need go talk to a therapist.

Having a bug out kit, and living self sufficiently is smart.

There is a difference in the amount of preparedness.
But somehow having decent firearms such as AR15 and magazines more than 10 rounds to be ready for far more likely events such as home invasion, robberies, flash mobs and riots is nuts?

Old 02-10-2013, 10:09 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Certainly not to the extent those people are but I'm good for a couple a months. A lot of that has to do with normal things, we can a lot in the fall but that gets eaten. It's not sitting on a shelf as emergency supply of food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies