Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2012, 04:57 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,303,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Then charge him with harassment....Why didn't Trayvon call the police?
And being still a minor for a short time you will never know if he did or did not have a record.

Old 03-22-2012, 04:59 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,201,146 times
Quote:
It's manslaughter at the most, IMO.

Was he looking for a fight? Or did he want to know what the kid was doing? Why even call 911 if you are planning to shoot the kid??

Look, if he had some contrived plot of calling 911 to give the illusion of help while he had the intention all along of shooting this kid...Why not just shoot him?

There was witness accounts of a fight.

It doesn't make much sense for Zimmerman to have gone to the lengths he did, risking his own life, to shoot and kill a black person.

The intent to kill and the race card just doesn't add up to me..
Neither the intent to kill nor the race card matters in terms of legal protection for the shooting. The man was following a child leaving a convenience store at night. He instigated the situation and thus the "stand your ground" law shouldn't apply. Whatever penalty is appropriate the law should sort out.

Gun rights advocates should be the first ones screaming that stand your ground doesn't apply. The law wasn't written to that scumbags can go around and harass innocent people into becoming a thread so you get to shoot them.

It's pure stupidity that the child is dead now and than it being Florida, I can't understand why this wasn't handled better.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:00 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,470,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Well, did he recently move in? Zimmerman seems like one of those busy bodies who watches everyone coming and going, but didn't recognize him. He made over 40 calls to the police over suspicious people. I don't know, I'm not joining a mob until a thorough investigation is done.
He called for a reason, blacks were terrorizing his neighborhood.

Quote:
The answer may lie in police records, which show that 50 suspicious-person reports were called in to police in the past year at Twin Lakes. There were eight burglaries, nine thefts and one other shooting in the year prior to Trayvon’s death.

In all, police had been called to the 260-unit complex 402 times from Jan. 1, 2011 to Feb. 26, 2012.

“He once caught a thief and an arrest was made,” said Cynthia Wibker, secretary of the homeowners association. “He helped solve a lot of crimes.”

Zimmerman told neighbors about stolen laptops and unsavory characters. Ibrahim Rashada, a 25-year-old African American who works at U.S. Airways, once spotted young men cutting through the woods entering the complex on foot, and later learned items were stolen those days.

“It’s a gated community, but you can walk in and steal whatever you want,” Rashada’s wife, Quianna, said.
Read more here: Shooter of Trayvon Martin a habitual caller to cops - Miami-Dade - MiamiHerald.com (http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/03/17/2700249_p2/shooter-of-trayvon-martin-a-habitual.html#storylink=cpy - broken link)

Old 03-22-2012, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
This incident could, I repeat could, qualify as Murder with a Depraved Mind, which is a homicide without premeditation but which is imminently dangerous and without regard for human life.
If true and if witnesses are correct about what they reported, Zimmerman is miracle worker to have that mindset and to then be able to control the 6' 3" large Trayvon to the extent that Trayvon jumps on his back and beats his head in before the Hispanic Zimmerman killed him.

Don't know about that one.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:03 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,027,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
The ones who have Zimmerman on top were after the shooting and I guess it would make sense after being beaten by the giant teen you would get into a position to not let it happen again if they were alive.
LMAO! Since when is 6'3" "a giant?" The DH is 6'4" and nobody's ever called him a "giant Jew." Zimmerman should have stayed in his truck and met LE at the mailboxes, as that was his initial agreement with the 911 dispatcher. If he'd done that, he wouldn't have put himself in danger.
He wasn't acting in any official capacity, and after having been arrested for assaulting a police officer shouldn't have been allowed to carry a gun.
Even the evidence of Zimmerman being cited for domestic violence should have been sufficient to cause someone to wonder if he didn't have anger issues that should have been addressed.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:03 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,470,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Well, did he recently move in? Zimmerman seems like one of those busy bodies who watches everyone coming and going, but didn't recognize him. He made over 40 calls to the police over suspicious people. I don't know, I'm not joining a mob until a thorough investigation is done.
His father DOES NOT live there. Some posters are too lazy to get their facts. This is why I'm against this lynch mob mentality they are displaying.

Quote:
Tracy Martin, who lives in Miami-Dade, is divorced from Trayvon’s mom. He says he often visits his girlfriend Brandy Green, who has rented the same townhouse in Sanford for more than four years.

It was there, at the Retreat at Twin Lakes townhouse complex, that Trayvon went on foot to get candy from a nearby 7-Eleven on a rainy Sunday night. The racially mixed neighborhood had recently suffered a spate of thefts recently, prompting Zimmerman to go on nightly patrols looking for suspicious strangers. And Trayvon was an outsider in a small gated community where most folks know their neighbors.

“He [Trayvon] didn’t know who this guy was,” said Trayvon’s mother, Sybrina Fulton. “He was placed in a situation where he felt like he could not get away. He’s going to defend himself. I don’ t know if he mouthed off.”
Read more here: 911 tape shows George Zimmerman lamenting that the “a--holes always get away.” - 03/17/2012 | MiamiHerald.com (http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/03/16/v-print/2697604/trayvon-martins-parents-criss.html#storylink=cpy - broken link)

Old 03-22-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
Neither the intent to kill nor the race card matters in terms of legal protection for the shooting. The man was following a child leaving a convenience store at night. He instigated the situation and thus the "stand your ground" law shouldn't apply. Whatever penalty is appropriate the law should sort out.

Gun rights advocates should be the first ones screaming that stand your ground doesn't apply. The law wasn't written to that scumbags can go around and harass innocent people into becoming a thread so you get to shoot them.

It's pure stupidity that the child is dead now and than it being Florida, I can't understand why this wasn't handled better.
A six foot three teenage child at that who was on the football team?

Why are the pictures of the teen several years old, and I wonder if we will learn if the kid or Zimmerman had any kind of prior record. Finding out about the teen would be tough due to age, but may have to come out to the defense of Zimmerman, right?

Old 03-22-2012, 05:05 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,817,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
It's surreal keep in mind when a raving white mob went after Blacks it was bad now the tables are turned and it's ok.
Oh really now? Trying to make this out that a liberal black man legislated this situation? Or the predominately BLACK police force made these decisions? The burden of proof is upon YOU for implying such nonsense.

Marion Hammer: The NRA Lobbyist Behind Florida's Stand Your Ground Legislation | Media Matters for America

They look mighty white to me.

Meanwhile the real psychos are loose...
Daily Kos: Glen Beck The Blaze Defend's Zimmerman Attacks Trayvon Martin

Old 03-22-2012, 05:06 PM

Well we will visit this again at trial if it gets there.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:08 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,146,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
If true and if witnesses are correct about what they reported, Zimmerman is miracle worker to have that mindset and to then be able to control the 6' 3" large Trayvon to the extent that Trayvon jumps on his back and beats his head in before the Hispanic Zimmerman killed him.

Don't know about that one.
I have no idea what that means in the context of my simply pointing out that Florida has a second degree murder statute which could arguable made to apply. So, would you mind fleshing out your comment so that I can reply appropriately?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies