Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2012, 06:40 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
What is the measured response for a six foot three inch guy on your back beating your head in again?
Well my well reasoned measured response when confronted with a 6'3" (why do you always leave out the 140lbs part) thugish black males on drugs, with his hand in his waistband, seeming to hold something and by implication, a weapon, who I think is looking to commit a forcible felony, is to stay my ass in my car, UNLESS, I am the second coming of Steven Seagal or because I think I'm some kind of badass because I have a gun!

So based upon simple logic and sine uncommon common sense which one do you think Zimmeran closely resembles? Did he not think that he was going to get into a physical confrontation with Martin based upon his own description? I think not.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:42 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,010,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Another glossed over fact are the injuries Zimmerman sustained.
Very much. As much as I feel for Trayvon, something obviously went down where Zimmerman may have felt it necessary to use force. I'm actually entertaining that despite the fact that Zimmerman's original assessment and actions that led up to it were completely wrong.

As of yet, no one can really explain, nor do they care to explain where the blood on Zimmerman's face or the grass on his back came from. Zero theories from anyone who completely insist that this kid was 100% profiled and ruthlessly hunted down.

Instead, I've heard some very ridiculous ideas that are spreading like wild fire. Even black co-workers of mine who are misinformed, believe that the kid was shot in the back. Let some tell it, Trayvon was running for his life, or on his knees begging, when Adolf Jr. shot him down. Others are wildly stating "a black man can't even get skittles and ice tea without being shot!!??"..."America is so racist!!!" and other types of nonsense.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:43 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I certainly wondered what, if anything, Zimmerman has on the local police.
When Sharpton headed the hysteria with Tawana Brawley, and the Crown Heights situation, he was wrong, dead wrong.
When he was briefly a candidate for the Democratic nomination in the past, I thought he was straight-talking on what would be called a liberal "agenda," and was stating the truth about many things as a lot of us see it, not only racial, in fact, not racial at all.
I'm sure he makes enough money on MSNBC that he isn't going to Florida to make money.
I, also, thought that someone with a smoking gun in his hand and a dead unarmed teenager at his feet was usually arrested, at least for the initial understanding of what happened. I mean, otherwise everyone standing over a person they just killed could say, "Oh, self-defense," and get a pat on the back from the authorities and, "Oh, OK, thanks for telling us." Not likely and certainly not right.
Again, I wonder what Zimmerman has on the people who gave him such a pass (and why drug-test the dead boy's body, not try to identify him by his cellphone, and not pay attention to the dispatcher's telling him not to pursue the "suspicious person" and it being right on the recording that he did in fact pursue the kid?
Of course I want him arrested. I'd want anyone arrested who is found with a smoking gun over an unarmed dead person, including if I did it. It's only common sense.
i agree.

to drug/alcohol- test the dead victim, and not the shooter?
makes no sense.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:43 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Do you understand how absurd you're being? Your case is that ABC news is wrong. The investigation was a fraud. The witness lied about the cop.
Here's the twitter feed of the ABC News reporter covering this story. He's not even remotely objective.

https://twitter.com/#!/mattgutmanABC

Also is muttering a racial slur a punishable offense in this country now? I'm not understanding that aspect of the story.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:44 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Houston we have a problem...

Martin's mother states on Anderson Cooper that she knows the voice on the 911 tape calling for help was her son.

Witnesses (backed up by the 911 tapes) clear demonstrate that the calls for help occurred prior to the sound of a gunshot.

This is evidence not half-baked apologist supposition.

How does one claim that they feared for their life when the so-called attacker is screaming for help?

Trayvon Martin’s Parents and Eyewitnesses Discuss Case on ‘Anderson’ (Video) : Sandra Rose

Old 03-22-2012, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
The elephant in the room here is that the local police officers should never have made the call that Zimmerman was entitled to the Stand Your Ground defense. They had a dead, unarmed teen and an armed man who they knew killed the boy. At that point they had probable cause to arrest Zimmerman and charge him with murder. His attorney would have been able to file a motion to dismiss based on the SYG defense and it would have been heard in court. Police officers are supposed to arrest people when they have probable cause to do so--not come to legal conclusions at the scene of a crime.

If a woman reports a rape and the police find a suspect outside who says, "I'm her boyfriend and she invited me over" do they just let him go because consent is a defense to rape?

It's not a police officer's job to make those decisions.
They also had a bloodied man who claimed self defense. His story was plausible. A lot of arm chair policemen out there.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:47 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,393,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Well my well reasoned measured response when confronted with a 6'3" (why do you always leave out the 140lbs part) thugish black males on drugs, with his hand in his waistband, seeming to hold something and by implication, a weapon, who I think is looking to commit a forcible felony, is to stay my ass in my car, UNLESS, I am the second coming of Steven Seagal or because I think I'm some kind of badass because I have a gun!

So based upon simple logic and sine uncommon common sense which one do you think Zimmeran closely resembles? Did he not think that he was going to get into a physical confrontation with Martin based upon his own description? I think not.
Remember this ocurred in a gated community.

So it may have been 'thug posturing'.

That said, Zimmerman did get his nose and face busted in a bit...plenty of reason to draw. Of course, you can argue that Zimmerman created the the situation by getting out of his car and knowing he was a puff-boy, would obviously resort to his gun if it turned physical.

But really- if you see a 6'3'' ripped guy with a 6-pack,Tupac do-rag on (embellishing here) smoking a foot long joint with a glass pipe behind his ear- of course you get out of your car and don't wait for the cops (who you're currently talking to- to show up).

Old 03-22-2012, 06:48 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,487,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Most white latinos know they're not white if they're in a non-latino white neighborhood. Is it really more important to you that 'white' goes on a census form than the perception of minority ethnic status.
"White Hispanics" ARE white. He IS white. I don't care where his mom was popped out. If it was Cuba or anywhere else.
Besides, you aren't even using the term properly. Like you'd call Al Sharpton Hispanic if he had been born in Mexico. It's not a race. So, yes, you're wrong anyway.
Of course this dosen't even have anything to do with this.

They will arrest him if they have any basis for an arrest. Right now, there's nothing he did that violates the law as nobody can contradict his self-defense claim. Especially since there have been claims they got into a physical fight and the law says you can reply with a gun even in this case.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortpes View Post
The tragedy for the black people in this matter is that we have a case of Nicholas Lindsey that draws no concern from the black community. No interest in how a young black man kills without remorse. How could we raise people like that? We see video after video of young black men with hoodies committing crimes. Still no response from the black community to turn their young people around. The culture supports the view of young black men with hoodie = danger. The black people need to do so much more for their young people. The stand your ground law in Florida protects the black people and all races in the event you must defend yourself.
They'd rather yell and scream and blame everyone under the sun than fix their rotting communities. I guess fixing their communities would actually require hard work.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:49 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,949,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Yea to set a child back from their studies for two full weeks is definitely not because of chronic tardiness....That doesn't mean he deserved to be killed by any means. But it is important to show how this story is becoming seriously manufactured and people on all sides are being coached.

He was not suspended for 10 days, that is just something being spread by Glen Beck and right wing blogs. He was suspended for 5.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies